Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadbands Latest Pet Project.... BE SCARED!

• 17-04-2006 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay so you've prob hard the rumors flying around but it's time to confirm that it looks as if they are (unfortunately) true. Very soon Irish Broadband plan on launching an entire new type of wireless internet similar to Ripwave. (Because that worked out so well didnt it.)

According to the email i got from my IBB insider: "If you thought Ripwave was bad your going to piss yourself laughing at this one!"
    It being built on a shoe string budget...

I present..... iBurst
    (Subject to name change)

In simple terms it Ripwave for your Laptop with no LOS or similar.
    Its a small PCMCIA Card for use on the IBB Network.

It's already available in Austrialia/US and has had some MAJOR teething problems and the company is working hard and spending big bucks keeping it up but once it works it a bloody godsend, but can IBB put in the same effort? Doubt It.

Its aimed at the on-the-go kinda business man or student who dosnt have time to look for WI-FI spots.
    The service offers down speeds of 1mb and about 300k up, depending on the card it may also be used as a 802.11g card and because IBB are running this i'd guess this is gonna be the cards main use for wireless networks. Judgeing by the sheets of stuff i go mailed to me today anyone who orders this is in for one BUMPY RIDE!

For more info PM me with questions, cant fit everything into this post lol!

International Company Logo:
    header.gif

Some Features on the exsisting iBurst Network:
    idecisionmaker.gif

The Card:
    iBurst%20card.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

kheader5rd.gif

kidecisionmaker2jb.gif

I'd expect a name change tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they will on their holes, the spectrum used by iburst is around 1.9Ghz and will only EVER be allocated to a 2g operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

iBurst out laughing at this sh1te :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Sparky-s wrote:
    iBurst out laughing at this sh1te :D
    hahahahaha thats a good one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

A mate of mine had it in Australia. Connection speed is pretty ****e & it cost a bloody fortune. This should be hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Anyone heard a launch date yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wernt IBB the ones bringing Wimax to ireland?
    what happened to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

This is what they are planning, just google "Irish broadband pcmcia"

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/6/6097_MotDoc.pdf

pcmcia.gif

I hope they do this one right, because they are making wireless technology look crap in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually Intel first brought Wimax to Ireland for test as they had trouble getting Broadband for senior people working in Liexlip plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dizzywizzard

watty wrote:
    Actually Intel first brought Wimax to Ireland for test as they had trouble getting Broadband for senior people working in Liexlip plant.

Really?

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11221302/com522j1/week5%20case%20study.html

• Advertisement

There is a base station at Leixlip Intel plant which allows local business, households and schools to avail of high speed net access

This is the first installation in Ireland of WiMAX compatible equipment operating in the commercial 3.5GHz frequency spectrum. Intel and Irish broadband are offering WiMAX for a 3yr period to 8 primary schools, post primary and the new Leixlip library.

I'd be nit picking. But Intel developed Technolgy, Intel Equipment, Intel Plant. Intel sponsered program etc. Brought to Ireland by Intel and handed to IBB on a plate ...

Where else is there any IBB Wimax?
    Intel and Irish Broadband plan to develop a WiMAX Use Case test and development lab as part of the IT Innovation Centre based in Intel Leixlip.

I'm sure maybe in next year or two we will see a lot of Wimax based products from several or some ISPs. But Idon't beleive you can get it today if you ring IBB. They have Ripwave, Breeze and a 10.5Ghz business product based on point to point link technology.

Their Ripwave supplier was once anti-Wimax and is now suggesting on their web site that all their future products will be Wimax based.

http://www.navini.com/pages/products/cpe.htm

See http://www.navini.com/pages/products/tech.htm "Navini delivers on 802.16e today" = Wimax. 16a is fixed external aerial Wimax (available now, but not yet other than Intel trail in Ireland) and 16e is mobile Wimax (this summer, not available yet from anyone anywhere). Ripwave however is NOT Wimax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dizzywizzard

watty wrote:
    I'd be nit picking. But Intel developed Technolgy, Intel Equipment, Intel Plant. Intel sponsered program etc. Brought to Ireland by Intel and handed to IBB on a plate
    Where else is there any IBB Wimax? ...

Emm, Athlone, Arklow, Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Ennis, Kilkenny, Killaloe, Leterkenny, Limerick, Newbridge, Portlaoise, wexford.....

http://www.ntr.ie/downloads/broadband/10.11.2005-Irish-Broadband-launches-major-national-WiMax-Rollout.pdf

Marketing spin. Alvarion's Breeze is much better than Rip wave, but is isn't Wimax.

"Wimax ready Breeze" is NOT Wimax!

Every equipment vendor seems to pepper their brochures with "Wimax". The only equipment supplier offering Wimax I have talked to is using very expensive FPGAs and does not expect to have ASIC chip for a while. Other vendors are not releasing Mobile Wimax (e) chip sets till June. The Fixed (a) version Wimax does exist, but Breeze is not (yet) it.

Many of those places on the list you won't even Get the "Wimax Ready" Breeze.

"HD Ready" on a TV set means it will display an HDTV picture, though can cheat by rescalling to even 480Lines or 540 Lines.

"Wimax Ready" is an Aspiration. It doesn't say anything really about if the customer will ever get Wimax without an Equipment change. It is the "hope" than some as yet unwritten firmware upgarde might make the gear work in a Wimax compatible mode.

Even if "Wimax Ready Breeze" can be upgraded by OTA firmware change, there is no assurance that IBB can or will ever do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

The "HD Ready" sticker on a TV means it is HDCP compatible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP.

If your screen doesn't support HDCP it cannot display most official HD content from a cable box or a Sky box, and it would scale the resolution down.

Until quite recently, it wasn't because a HD Screen (TV or Monitor) had DVI and/or HDMI inputs that it was HDCP compatible. So the HD-Ready sticker was created to help the users... not sure it worked.

Many places try to offload HDTVs that are not HD-Ready as they will be useless to the average user.

Advertisement