Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fatima mansions the band

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

anyone remember theses guys
    just entering ireland into youtube and some new wave punk electro fan has put up some of their stuff and the virgins prunes posers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8Ou6o7LEU&search=fatima%20mansions%20cathal%20coughlan%20blues%20ceausescu

sounds like the pet shop boys mixed with morrisey

They were quite popular in the early 1990s. I think their frontman used to be with Microdisney. Did they take their name from the flat complex in Dolphin's Barn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Fatima Manions were the 3rd best ever Irish band possible the 2nd depending on wheater you concider MBV Irish and one of the top 20 bands of all time IMO. Absolutly fantastic band Microdisney werent half bad either tracked down most of thier stuff second hand thru e-bay well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

microdisney neither, definitly before my time, never ever heard them mentioned on music lookback shows or anything

microdisney neither, definitly before my time, never ever heard them mentioned on music lookback shows or anything

Well you should take this oportunity to see the Light get the Microdisney albums "Everybody is Fantastic" and "The Clock OCmes down the stairs" and the Fatima Mansions albums "Viva Dead Ponies" and "Valhalla Avenue" in particular.
    Microdisney mixed O'Hagans Beach Boy esque poppy tunes with Coughlans bleak vocals and Lyrics after the split O'Hagan formed The High Lamas who made the the best music Brian Wilson hadnt made win years while with Fatima Mansions Coughlan mixed his bleak lyrics with well bleak music having a strange mix somewhere beteen Scott Walker and Ministry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I sorta like some of that sorta music, bit maudeling posers though, like the best of em

Coghlan could also be a funny bastard there is a line in "Viva Dead Ponies" a song about Jesus coming back to life in the body of a Jewish Shopkeeper
    where he says "and Jesus said to his deciples, If you dont shift this crate of brillo pads by friday vengence will be mine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Well you should take this oportunity to see the Light get the Microdisney albums "Everybody is Fantastic" and "The Clock OCmes down the stairs" and the Fatima Mansions albums "Viva Dead Ponies" and "Valhalla Avenue" in particular.
    Microdisney mixed O'Hagans Beach Boy esque poppy tunes with Coughlans bleak vocals and Lyrics after the split O'Hagan formed The High Lamas who made the the best music Brian Wilson hadnt made win years while with Fatima Mansions Coughlan mixed his bleak lyrics with well bleak music having a strange mix somewhere beteen Scott Walker and Ministry.
    Aye - not heard much by the 'Mansions' but certainly Microdisney are compulsory listening for anybody who wants to hear well crafted pop tunes with the ol' barbed lyrics. 'Town to Town' (upbeat thing with violins all about, that's right, the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust, kids!) and 'Singers Hampstead Home' are the two tunes i'd start with! Or if you can track down the album 'crooked mile', give that a listen!

Aye - not heard much by the 'Mansions' but certainly Microdisney are compulsory listening for anybody who wants to hear well crafted pop tunes with the ol' barbed lyrics. 'Town to Town' (upbeat thing with violins all about, that's right, the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust, kids!) and 'Singers Hampstead Home' are the two tunes i'd start with! Or if you can track down the album 'crooked mile', give that a listen!

Singers hamstead home was about Boy George who was on the same label as them at the time(Virgin).

any Microdisney fan should definatly check out Fatima Mansions/The high lamas mnot easy to find thier stuff now legaly ebay is your best bet,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

new viva dead ponies/fatima mansions doc.... https://www.paulmcdermott.ie/episode-3

• Advertisement
Advertisement