Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career choices?

Options
  • 17-04-2006 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

So, all you third years not coming back for postgrad and all you postgrads leaving for the big bad world... whatcha goin' to do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

What you doing boney me darlin dearest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

IT Consultant for one of the Big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

im gonna sponge off my parents until they force me to get a decent job. then i'll spend a year 'sending out letters/cvs' and then i'll say i gotta go back to college before i can get a decent job.
    next 5 years - sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

London for 6 months, then the 3rd world. To do what I must for my fellow man.

And also to avoid the rat race in the developed world - dunno how ppl fcuking stomach it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

SebtheBum wrote:
    dunno how ppl fcuking stomach it tbh
    Each to their own.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Still in first year, but career-wise I'd like to join the Gardaí or something similar (maybe the firebrigade, the army, dunno)

DaveMcG wrote:
    Still in first year, but career-wise I'd like to join the Gardaí or something similar (maybe the firebrigade, the army, dunno)
    Yeah, something public sector would interest me too, after I've completed my sojourn... Probably civil service, but God knows what I'll wanna do in a year's time. I don't particularly want to live in this country, so... I'll have to see what opportunities there are elsewhere, to see if living (and working) abroad is a viable option.

I'm only 21 tho, so there's no rush or anythin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

SebtheBum wrote:
    London for 6 months, then the 3rd world. To do what I must for my fellow man.

And also to avoid the rat race in the developed world - dunno how ppl fcuking stomach it tbh

I watch out for the aul Ebola virus out there. What exactly do you plan on doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year course but I hope to work for some multinational scum for a few years to raise funds to start my own business and be my own commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Only in 2nd year but should be working for a Big 4 Company as a Tax Trainee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Postgrad, then eventually more academic type stuff/ civil service. I only really like history, which doesnt make me very employable :rolleyes:

Hermione* wrote:
    I only really like history, which doesnt make me very employable :rolleyes:
    Ditto.

@Grimes: Whatever really. I mean, I'm gonna be working in the Plan UK offices in Camden for 6 months, and while I'm there I'll be going through the (many) volunteer organisations there are that are particularly desperate. Cos let's face it, they'd have to be desperate to accept me as a recruit!:D I've already given em my CV so it's in the pipeline, it's just a question of ppl getting back to me over the next few months.

Seb: - ill talk to you more about it tomorrow, somehow i dont see my patented brand of unique humor going down well here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

see you in the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

vodafone marketing possibly
    part time with them for 4 years

social aspect is great. alotta people your own age in a nice working environment. Starting up my own deal after a few years of experience gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Joining the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Plan is to have my Fe1s and my llm in Trinity done and dusted while still 21. Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Unfortunately, I'm still a long way from finishing college... I've no idea what I want to do when I finish. You'd think 4 years here already would give me a notion of what I want to do, but no. All I know at this stage is that it'll involve computers, I don't know beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Two years away but probably a PG in Journalism somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm thinking about something in journalism since I enjoy writing.

• Advertisement

Im thinking about somthing in the sex industry. Since I enjoy that

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Grimes wrote:
    Im thinking about somthing in the sex industry. Since I enjoy that

Can I come too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Most likely something in computers

Waltons wrote:
    Most likely something in computers

within the sex industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

You know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

vodafone marketing possibly
    part time with them for 4 years

social aspect is great. alotta people your own age in a nice working environment. Starting up my own deal after a few years of experience gained.
    That sounds interesting. What are they like to work for? Do you have real responsibility for them in regards the marketing aspect of things? I hope you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

maybe.... an art auctioneer for christy's london/newyork but ill have to look into it more!!! ive another year in UCD yet tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

graduate from my masters in august, going to arse around (hopefully while employed) for a few moths while writing a phd proposal, then hopefully start a phd in english in january or april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i want to be come a knight of the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

*If* I ever get a degree out of this place I would like to end up in something along the lines of urban planning or doing environmental work. However I'm thinking about quitting college (yes again! :) ) and with my experience of working in an office environment this year that's where I could see myself ending up for the next few years anyway.

Advertisement