Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to make an easily updatable site?

Options
  • 17-04-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm just wondering what is the best way of making a website for someone so that it is fairly easy for them to update themselves in the future.

I was just thinking that for the regularly updated pages such as news I could set up a passworded page with a form so they could just fill out the form and when they submit it the text appears as the latest news, with the old news archived below it.

Is this a good way of doing it? I'll be using dreamweaver.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Simplest was it to use some kind of blogging software -- news is effectively a time-ordered journal after all. If you have experience with this kind of thing, I recommend using WordPress; if not try Blogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We use wordpress to run our blog and news section - see www.hosting365.com/blog and www.hosting365.com/news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

http://www.s9y.org/

By far the best "blogging" system I've had the free opensource experience of playing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If you wanted to avoid an off-the-shelf blog type solution and put something together yourself, and it is a very worthwhile exercise, you can use dreamweaver in connection with either ASP, PHP or Cold Fusion, and an access database, presuming the site isn't going to be very visitor heavy.

A book I can recommend on the subject, if you wished to pursue it, is this one, available from amazon (obviously), and if you are using dreamweaver 8, there's an updated version. I used it to learn the IIS/ASP method and found it excellent, but it caters for all three above-named scripting languages in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

you can find a good selection of CMS's here http://www.opensourcecms.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

We use wordpress to run our blog and news section - see www.hosting365.com/blog and www.hosting365.com/news

I've just set up a blog using Wordpress but when i cut and paste text from a word doc into it the formatting goes all over the place i.e. different font sizes and so on.

The first time i cut and paste it did it fine but now im getting some problems. I have been looking into changing the font size (which i presumed would be straight foreward) but after reading through the help files all i have come up with is some stuff about changing the CSS layout styling.

There must be an easier way to do this kind of thing. Im setting up the blog for my mum so changing CSS stylings is not an option!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement