Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Leaving Cert papers ever leaked in previous years?

Options
  • 17-04-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I'm not saying they will this year or anything, but was just curious. I find it hard to imagine that a number of people make the paper, manage to make thousands of copies and don't give hints to students every single year, without it leaking more regulalry. I know they have a back-up paper anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I've heard that the English and German papers in 1994 were leaked/stolen and backups had to be used. Though that's probably complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

My english teacher was telling us about these before. Apparently a few years ago one of the papers was misplaced (it wasn't stolen just lost). As a precaution all the leaving cert exams were chucked out and replaced with the back-ups.

As for hints being leaked, there's no way to trust if they're true or even if they came from someone who's seen the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

a teacher of mine who has been in the professin for ages says lads from a former school of his got their hands on a copy of the english paper and tried to sell it to the Indo.

Pretty hilarious because the paper called the cops and the department and the backup was used. paper had the poets and single text Qs the teacher had been pushing, but the replacement had more niche Qs which led to ane of the lads failing paper two.

Poetic justice you might say. :p :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

34_2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Apperantly the papers are printed outside of the country in the Netherlands, however I've heard Norway name dropped too. Obviously the printed papers have little relevence to these countries.

I do hear that for all the oral recordings they send a bunch of people once a year to a little studio in the far east of Estonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the papers are delivered a week ahead of time to the local garda station where they are locked up in a big chest until the day comes, they are then collected by the schools the morning before the exams.

that's was my principal told me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I've heard pretty much the same, ie. the papers are printed in Norway or somewhere, then the night before the exams they're locked up in a cell.

I've never really thought about the aurals before, I wonder where they're recorded/how they get people to do them and make sure they won't say anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Cremo wrote:
    the papers are delivered a week ahead of time to the local garda station where they are locked up in a big chest until the day comes, they are then collected by the schools the morning before the exams.

last year, the exams were in our school for a few weeks.. locked up in huge chests, outside the principals office..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

they are printed in dublin.....a distant relations friend used to work in the place that prints them here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I can remember the last day of the JC last year. I had to help the examiner put the big black metal box into her boot of her car. Apparntley, every exam the school needed was locked up in there and sent back to the department with all our exam papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Rob30888 wrote:
    I'm not saying they will this year or anything, but was just curious. I find it hard to imagine that a number of people make the paper, manage to make thousands of copies and don't give hints to students every single year, without it leaking more regulalry. I know they have a back-up paper anyway
    Yep. Last year's English paper two was leaked and contingency resources had to be used to print up the back-up paper. Hence they didn't have money to print new paper ones for Irish and for JC English when that bus crash happened.

The papers are printed in some Nordic country too, so it's fairly impressive someone got their hands on one...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

the chests are timelocked to open at a certain time too i heard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

TRUE STORY. Teacher was telling us he knew a maths teacher who supervised the exams. he also gave grinds. the night before the exam he had all the maths papers in an envelope. there was a hole an d thing and if he put gum on a pen and wound it round he got it out. he gave his pupils a look and did it with them. they got a's. then he put it back in and no1 nu?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

NADA wrote:
    TRUE STORY. Teacher was telling us he knew a maths teacher who supervised the exams. he also gave grinds. the night before the exam he had all the maths papers in an envelope. there was a hole an d thing and if he put gum on a pen and wound it round he got it out. he gave his pupils a look and did it with them. they got a's. then he put it back in and no1 nu?

I wish I'd a teacher like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

NADA wrote:

QFBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Funkstard wrote:
    QFBS

Well it's a true according to my teacher. I can't verify it but ask Garret. He was there when the teacher told us the story. He is on this boards somewhere. USERNAME: GARRET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

The OP is clutching at straws at the moment?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Its true
    department got him for it though, made him open the envelope and count how many were in it. One short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Just to clear up some misconceptions:

1. The papers do NOT arrive in the schools a few weeks before hand. The large boxes some of you have seen in the schools beforehand are the boxes of stationery.

2. The box of papers is NOT time locked.

3. The boxes of papers are distributed the day before the start of the first exam and collected by the individual supervisors and taken to the school for secure storage. If a suitable secure storage facility is not available in the school, the boxes are stored in the local Garda station where they are collected by the supervisor each morning and afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

NADA wrote:
    Our French teacher submits articles into the department and questions for the French exams both Honours, Ordinary, Leaving Cert and Junior Cert. She did the 1999 paper I think, we have asked her loads of questions about it.

If any teacher who has access to the papers and their students do extremely well, they will be reviewed and checked out. The Department are very "paranoid"..

French said she would tell us after our exam if we got her article or not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

I was told that every yr a report is published with the typos in the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Delphi91 wrote:
    Just to clear up some misconceptions:

1. The papers do NOT arrive in the schools a few weeks before hand. The large boxes some of you have seen in the schools beforehand are the boxes of stationery.

2. The box of papers is NOT time locked.

3. The boxes of papers are distributed the day before the start of the first exam and collected by the individual supervisors and taken to the school for secure storage. If a suitable secure storage facility is not available in the school, the boxes are stored in the local Garda station where they are collected by the supervisor each morning and afternoon.

I am doing my jc cert this year and was wondering how do you know this. I have heard that the papers are delivered to the school by a securiorcor van like the ones that deliver the money to banks. This is true because i saw it on tv on the news. that might be some schools though. also i know they are time locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

No, my friends dad is our prinicpal and I remember her saying he goes to the Garda station to collect the papers..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I was told that every yr a report is published with the typos in the leaving cert.

They'd a load of them when I was doing the JC :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

wat there were a load of typos?? i only remember a bout 2 in my jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hope springs

whoo really cares though! we still have to do the crap, and that's it!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i heard from a teacher that years ago (im talking back in the seventies or sixties) that the maths paper one was leaked to the paper who printed it on the day of the exam!
    although i think they used the backup....
    so it really didnt benefit anyone!

oh and apparently our state exams are one of the most well run in the world, so i doubt there will ever be a leak!

i think that in our school years ago the teacher gave the english paper 2 exam out instead of the paper 1 exam.
    the students were locked into the room for the whole day and just did the paper one second.

the department provided sandwiches for them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

JSK 252 wrote:
    I am doing my jc cert this year and was wondering how do you know this. I have heard that the papers are delivered to the school by a securiorcor van like the ones that deliver the money to banks. This is true because i saw it on tv on the news. that might be some schools though. also i know they are time locked

just to clarify my dad was a teacher who used to supervise the exams. they are not delivered by securicor vans. the teachers in charge of the exam centre go to a regional depot to pick up the papers in big secure boxes. they are then brought to the local garda station where they are kept in cell/secure area and every morning and lunch time the supervisor picks up the relevant paper for that exam. the supervisor also posts the students papers from the mornings/afternoons exams too at the post office after each exam. there is not time locks or anything. chances of gettin a paper before the day are somewhere between slim and none!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

i think that in our school years ago the teacher gave the english paper 2 exam out instead of the paper 1 exam.
    the students were locked into the room for the whole day and just did the paper one second.

That's a bit stupid. The envelopes are colour coded(Green=Morning, Orange=Afternoon)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i heard from a teacher that years ago (im talking back in the seventies or sixties) that the maths paper one was leaked to the paper who printed it on the day of the exam!
    although i think they used the backup....
    so it really didnt benefit anyone!

oh and apparently our state exams are one of the most well run in the world, so i doubt there will ever be a leak!

i heard that story before. wouldnt work nowadays , what with mobiles and other new fangled devices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement