Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice Ireland (Voip)

Options
  • 17-04-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Anybody have any experience of the Telecoms Company 'Voice Ireland'?

Working from home, I have been trying to obtain broadband for as long as I can remember, without success. I have consdered moving house to a broadband enabled area. Recently, two wireless broadband companies assured me that I would be able to receive their sevice but when their technicans arrived they did not even bother attempting testing the signal, knowing immediately that I had no line of sight.

When I mentioned that I had been assured by the company that I would be able receive the service one of their technicans commented 'sure, what would those guys know' !!

Recently I was contacted by Voice Ireland. Their sales person has assured me that they use a different system that covers all areas and that I would be able to receive their service with no problem. It sounds too good to be true.

Is this the new answer to everybody's dream of receiving broadband or have I been duped again?

The following is taken from the Voice Ireland website ...

Voice Ireland is a 100% Irish owned Telecoms Company based in Dublin. VOICE Ireland is a fully licensed telecoms operator authorised by the Irish Communications Regulator (ComReg) to provide standard land line services to the Irish market through our Carrier Pre Selection (CPS) service. VOICE Ireland is also authorised by ComReg to provide Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services.

'VOICE Ireland is launching a new broadband service next month, which will include not only the option of moving to a high speed internet connection, but also the option of using that broadband connection to make phone calls over the internet using our VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service. These VoIP phone calls can be made at rates dramatically cheaper than even the Voice standard land line rates.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You still won't get BB if your exchange isn't enabled and your line passes.

The CPS they can sell anywhere

VOIP does work on Dialup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Thanks for your reply.

However, I would have thought that whether or not my exchange is enabled isn't relevant if Voice Ireland are offering wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Where does it mention wireless on their website?
    I can only find references to DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I questioned their salesperson a number of times on the issue of availability, given the fact that technicans from other companies had previously said that I was in a broadband blackspot.

Voice Ireland informed me that they offered a newer technology and had a much wider coverage from their wireless transmitters.

Yeah .. the doubts are beginning to creep in, given the experiences I have had with other providers. (In other words .. get the guy to sign up and then hope for the best).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Salesman talking out of his arse I'd say.
    It sounds like a ploy to get you signed up for CPS and then string you along for as long as they can.
    Hope I'm wrong though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

looks very dodgy to me, a VoIP operator pretending to have their own network when all they really have is a softswitch.

VoIP Ireland have an allocation of 076 numbers as one would expect but no geographic numbers .

Try a reputable operator like Blueface.ie or Smart076.ie for VoIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭momozone

VoIP Ireland have rolled out Wireless Broadband In cork and are currently offering VoIP and broadband with geographic numbers to Kinsale/Carriaglin/Bandon.

Dont you just hate it when people dont research the facts!

Also Geographic number are available nationwide to all their customers. You can port your number, get a new geo number or have an 076 number!

momozone wrote:
    VoIP Ireland have rolled out Wireless Broadband In cork and are currently offering VoIP and broadband with geographic numbers to Kinsale/Carriaglin/Bandon.
    I see :p are we a customer or a Voice Ireland staffer ???
    and how exactly do they do this with no Number allocations (that I can find) from Comreg ????

eg 021 022 023 etc , do tell me which blocks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The same way everyone else does it?

• Advertisement

A VoIP Ireland Customer here...

I have an 051 number with VoIP Ireland. I dont know what blocks they have but I am proof that they can do number porting and provide new geo numbers!

No you most certainly are not :( , what are the first 3 digits after the 051 ??????

Next three digits are 612 looks like its through MCI but what does it matter who it is through???

I dont care once they can provide the service.

It is indeed MCI (formerly worldcom and presently verizon business) .

MCi are fairly Nationwide but my original assertation that VoIP Ireland have no network still stands. And if you recall the OP who said
    Recently I was contacted by Voice Ireland. Their sales person has assured me that they use a different system that covers all areas and that I would be able to receive their service with no problem. It sounds too good to be true.

Its actually called MCI and does not quite cover all areas . MCI (Verizon) have a good network though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

momozone wrote:

I do, but then Voice Ireland don't give away much either (on their website).

Do you have any other info on their BB (prices, speeds, up & down, technology, frequency, contention, install charges, min contract, caps/limits, traffic shaping/ports blocked, areas covered, etc.)? What's the service like (assuming you have it, that is)?

.cg

Advertisement