Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leargas 7.30 tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

mfitzy wrote:
    In relation to KK's employers, i'm delighted to say they are mostly indigenous Irish companies, the likes of Glanbia (our biggest single one 600 people), VHI, Banking365 among others. Much more secure than IDA subsidised multinational corporations the likes of Bosch and Lomb or whoever who would leave Ireland at the drop of a hat to places like China etc...
    Diageo employ about 80 people at most in the county.

I think thats being very disingenious to your fellow county people , Irish companies would do the very same thing as well

I personally couldn't give a hoot about the hurling either.In your own words you use the phrase 'taken over'- it is precisely this superior and condescending attidude we in KK have the biggest problem with.

I was'nt being superior or condescending just trying to state a fact , and from what I can see if you take hurling out of the equation Kilkenny people have no real argument and that is being increasingly backed up by the posts on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

Freddie59 wrote:
    Noooooooooooooo. What I said was that I didn't really care whether or not this extension went ahead. But, given the vitriolic reaction of hurling-obsessed locals towards Waterford City I must admit that, in the interests of the region, I would now like to see it happen. After all, it would probably be in the area's interests that an authority with a wider vision than who will win the all-Ireland in September be in control.

So

1. You think its ok for Waterford Co Co to run Waterford and Part of Kilkenny but you don't think it would be alright the other way around. Hypocrisy.

2. Again with the GAA, your the only one mentioning it. Everyone else including myself who have mentioned it has being in reply to you.
    Firstly, as far as I'm aware, Kilkenny have not sought a boundary extension into Waterford City - so I have no opinion on a matter which does n ot exist.

No because they have more common decency then to think of such a thing.
    Secondly, all of the latter half of your reply above centres around.............the GAA. I rest my case.

It centres around tradition and pride in your place AND the GAA.

Again you haven't answered any questions put to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

How can you call Kilkenny politicians decent when they called Waterford people nazis last year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

meldrew wrote:
    How can you call Kilkenny politicians decent when they called Waterford people nazis last year ?

Lets see. Waterford Co Co trying to take land that doesn't belong to them against the wishes of the people the land belongs to ? Very Nazi-like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

klash wrote:
    Lets see. Waterford Co Co trying to take land that doesn't belong to them against the wishes of the people the land belongs to ? Very Nazi-like to me.

May I remind people it is not Waterford Co Co but Waterford City Council. There is a big difference.

Waterford Co Co is responsilbe for the county and has it's offices in Dungarvan Co. Waterford whereas Waterford City Council is responsilbe for the City and has it's offices in the City (The Mall)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

mfitzy wrote:
    Where do I start with this one...!

Firstly, all your points are from a Waterford perspective only.All KK co co arguments are valid and as for sudsidising the rest of us in the county what rubbish- do you think 1.8 million in rates goes very far these days?

It would hardly resurface a few km of road, let alone provide infrasructure for the whole county.That is very insulting to KK people who pay their taxes and rates as do Waterford.
    If it was u****ortant than it is not a valid point to rejecting the extension over
    mfitzy wrote:

I would love if KK were situated beside some other county other than Waterford- this issue woudn't arise and we could work progressivel as you point out on roads and university. But how can this happen with so much bad feeling hanging in the air over a landgrab???

I support a prosperous and competitive Waterford City for sure, but please not at our expense. My county and I will reiterate this point, means a lot to me- I am deeply offended that a neighbouring county would see fit to have a right to control a big chunk of it.
    You should not be offended, we are all Irish citizens and if you live near Waterford city and are using it's resources you should be governed by it... simple as that, you don't have to put on a Waterford jersey for God's sake.
    mfitzy wrote:

On the N9, KK co co are most definitely not to blame- our successive TDs here are for not lobbying and ensuring it was upgraded.It is finally being upgraded to a dual carriageway over next few years.

How come the biggest urban centre in Kilkenny other than Kilkenny city are not linked together... Look at Dungarvan and Waterford city and the roads between them, this is the way those roads should be for the last 20 years, they are terrible. I really do hope we get this motorway and I mean we.
    mfitzy wrote:

Waterford people are blindly failing to see this from point of view in KK; we are the ones being asked to give up something.What is in this for us???You'll probably say a stronger regional city, but so what?How is this going to impact positively on the ordinary people who live in KK, not in Waterford??

I think I do see it from your perspective, you think you will have to pledge allegiance to Waterford or wear blue and white jersies overnight.... Let me tell you that I would gladly sgn any petition that would ensure that Kilkenny retain the right to play for their county and call themselves Kilkenny people... nobody wants to take that away from you.

as for how would a big regional city help you... imagine this scenario, you live 30 miles from Waterford, a city of over 100,000 people (in the future) and you want to live with your family on a nice bit of land in Kilkenny. With a regional city you will have job choice and the ability to commute to work within 30 mins even if over 30 miles away.

Having a big city in the south east will benefit us all, I live in CO. Waterford and I would hate to lose my job and have to commute to Cork, it is just too far to commute, that is why we need a strong regional city so that Waterford can compete for big companies so that we can all have a nice quality of life and be able to choose to live in Kilkenny, Wexford, South Tipp or County Waterford...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You speak a lot of sense about south east development there.
    It was a holy show that the N9 hasn't been upgraded until now...

I hear Galway and Limerick cities are talking about some kind of city twinning so they can promote investment there together.

This sounds like something Waterford and KK should think about, theuy are only 30 miles apart after all, but at present feels like 100 miles with all the bitching and not talking.

mfitzy wrote:

I hear Galway and Limerick cities are talking about some kind of city twinning so they can promote investment there together.

This sounds like something Waterford and KK should think about, theuy are only 30 miles apart after all, but at present feels like 100 miles with all the bitching and not talking.

and the road LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was on the N10 today and as many will know at Paulstown there is a nice big sign warning trucks not to use the n10 so what happens they use the n10 anyway. Usual sh1t in Thomastown, if KK put the signs up they should also see thier wishes are enforced.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

klash wrote:
    So

1. You think its ok for Waterford Co Co to run Waterford and Part of Kilkenny but you don't think it would be alright the other way around. Hypocrisy.

2. Again with the GAA, your the only one mentioning it. Everyone else including myself who have mentioned it has being in reply to you.

No because they have more common decency then to think of such a thing.

It centres around tradition and pride in your place AND the GAA.

Again you haven't answered any questions put to you.

Kilkenny Politicians are obviously living in a world so insular that are able to they are able to throw around the word "Nazi" and "Hitlers hencheman" willy nilly while completely unaware of the offence it causes.While living in their bubble they seem to be completely unaware of the offence that this type of behaviour is to Jewish people and indeed the trouble these kind of remarks caused in the North.It is behaviour more visible on craggy island than the real world.Added to this they picyure of Hitler in a tank over Waterford emblazoned over their leading newspaper would make you wonder about the mentality of these people.Not to mention the threat by one of there councillers to parade around Waterford in her Black and Amber Knickers in protest.

There reason Kilkenny has not requested a boundary extension into Waterford is simple.They have no reason to.It has **** all to do with decency.

On the other hand Waterford has a reason.To counter unbalanced development of the city on one side of the river.This is glariningly obvious and to say otherwise is disingenuous.It is also the obvious that the revenue taken by KK co.co in South Kilkenny is not reinvested there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mfitzy wrote:

Ah, I must have missed this. When did the upgrade begin.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

klash wrote:
    It centres around tradition and pride in your place AND the GAA. Again you haven't answered any questions put to you.

1. GAA again (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING).

2. Which particular questions, Babs - sorry - Klash?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps instead of Waterford people thinking its their right to annex land belong to Kilkenny maybe their should actually be a vote held for the people in the area affected.

What better way to make sure that Waterford CoCo are not pissing off people :) Can we find a fault with this?
    Surely its only fair to actually ask the people that will be directly affected by this...mistake perhaps?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Its not Waterford Co Co, but Waterford City Council, but you ask a very valid question. Its all well and good having over 10,000 signatures against this move, but how many of these 10,000 are from the affected areas.

If there is a vote put to the people directly affected you can be very sure that the vast "silent" majority will want the boundary change to go ahead as planned.

The "silent" majority know in their hearts and souls that the only way forward is being tied economically & socially to the larger entity that is called "Waterford City", and thus greater economies of scale which leads to a greater national profile and thus better and more facilities including employment oppurtunities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote:
    The "silent" majority know in their hearts and souls that the only way forward is being tied economically & socially to the larger entity that is called "Waterford City", and thus greater economies of scale which leads to a greater national profile and thus better and more facilities including employment oppurtunities.

Obviously they don't want it too much if their being slient, if they get their chance to givce their voice and then don't stand-up and say something then obviously their too lazy to give a crap about such things and it doesn't matter to them. :)

If people vote to become part of Waterford thats fine, but if people vote to stay part of Kilkenny and then your argument is the "silent" majority wanted to be part of Waterford...well then your argument is deeply flawed and you look like a fool imho

Aquos76 wrote:
    Ah, I must have missed this. When did the upgrade begin.?

The Carlow bypass started last month, the Waterford-Knocktpher stretch is atarting in the next few months..

mike65 wrote:
    I was on the N10 today and as many will know at Paulstown there is a nice big sign warning trucks not to use the n10 so what happens they use the n10 anyway. Usual sh1t in Thomastown, if KK put the signs up they should also see thier wishes are enforced.

Mike.
    As far as I know, the signs at Paulstown and Ballyhale for the trucks going to Waterord port are merely a suggestion; its not something the guards can enforce...Its way longer to go by Kilkenny for them

Thomastown is brutal, about 4 metres wide for two big trucks passing, like something from the 1940s!!I think its gona get worse before it gets better, with the Carlow bypass and Waterford -Knocktopher N9 phases completed first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

meldrew wrote:

One person, Mary Hilda Cavanagh is her name btw, making a throwaway comment at a KKC meeting hardly represents the views of the entire county council of KK.
    To date KCC have behaved in a much more reasonable manner with the land grab campaign than would be the case in most other counties IMO.
    The problem Waterford people have is that they have no real sense if identity in the same way as we KK folk enjoy & mores the pity for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Of all this talk about how the infrustructure is better in Waterford I'd like to bring your attention to a recent report on the front page of the Munster Express I think it was the late edition with one Cllr. Jim D'Arcy he pointed out that there is no bus service or a very limited bus service in Waterford City on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays. So tell me how being part of Waterford Cities great infrustructure is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

http://www.munster-express.ie/news3.html - the link to the artical in question

as far as I am aware carrick town council administer carrick beg (in co. waterford)

it makes no sense for the people in this small community to be managed by Waterford Co. Council

Same thing with Waterford and Kilkenny... Waterford is the city and the administration that should be looking after the people at it's doorstep.

trishw78 wrote:
    Of all this talk about how the infrustructure is better in Waterford I'd like to bring your attention to a recent report on the front page of the Munster Express I think it was the late edition with one Cllr. Jim D'Arcy he pointed out that there is no bus service or a very limited bus service in Waterford City on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays. So tell me how being part of Waterford Cities great infrustructure is better.

Last time I checked the Buses were run by Bus Eireann and Rapid Express unless of course the City Council has taken over both these companies

In other words it is not part of their remit to provide a public bus service. At least we have a memeber of the City Council highlighting this lack of service from Bus Eireann to the people of the City.

Hopefully something will be done soon about this but it is still up to Bus Eireann etc

One person, Mary Hilda Cavanagh is her name btw, making a throwaway comment at a KKC meeting hardly represents the views of the entire county council of KK.
    To date KCC have behaved in a much more reasonable manner with the land grab campaign than would be the case in most other counties IMO.
    The problem Waterford people have is that they have no real sense if identity in the same way as we KK folk enjoy & mores the pity for them.

Where is this real sense of Kilkenny your talking about?Take hurling out of the equation and you don't have an awful lot to boast about.This is more claptrap like a previous poster claiming Most Kilkenny people are employed in indigenous industry in Kilkenny.LIKE THIS ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING.The fact is the biggest employer of Kilkenny people is industry in Watreford be it indigenous or otherwise.

Try tell this to Phil Hogan when he is having one of his begrudging rants against the IDA for showing favouritism to Waterford.

The fact is the very use of the word land grab that you have use has connotations of people being thrown of their land and being made homeless.The only other place this term is used is in Israel/Palestine and nothing is further from the truth.Throwaway comment or not it was a disgraceful remark that could not be any more ignorant.Where was the condemnation from other councillers?Maybe you should save your pity for the Kilkenny people who are represented by these cartoon characters.

The GAA have no business getting involved in this.Next thing we'll be electing a government dictated by a policy of winning the world cup.

mfitzy wrote:
    is point is big deal in in your arrogant assertion that S kk would be a wasteland if it were not for Waterford- what complete and utter rubbish;
    -thats the same as saying , and I refer to the following irish examples;

there would be nothing in Wicklow, Kildare, Meath, Laois etc without Dublin
    there would be nothing in Clare and North Tipp without Limerick
    there would be nothing in south Roscommon without Athlone

All of the above are not suddenly going to move within the urban boundary that influences them so much, so why should south KK..

That is the same as saying these places would be wastelands.This is because they actually would.You will find that clare and North Tipp ARE dependent on Limerick Economically.As is Wicklow,Kildare and Meath on Dublin.

In the case of Limerick the county boundary is not preventing the city developing in an unbalanced manner Like the KK/Waterford boundary.

A more apt example is Drogheda which incorporated a part of Meath with no fuss.

Also there is the problem that Limerick is labelled as Irelands fourth city after Galway.Despite it being 40% larger.The is also the cause of it losing financial transfers from the EU.
    mfitzy wrote:
    How flawed to blame the people of Kilkenny for holding development in the south east ..

If its so flawed how do you explain the mountain pass thats the N9.
    mfitzy wrote:
    - I can tell you one thing for sure, if this goes ahead there wouldn't be any future co-operation from the KK side on thing like a university etc- we will simply look to the Midlands region or the East instead..

Cutting of your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

mfitzy wrote:
    And are you aware that KK currently is strongly backing the university bid (in Waterord I might add) and we also pay an annual subsidy in support of that white elephant airport down near Tramore??.

That's because that "White elephant" is another reason for a foreign company to locate in the South East.

Maybe if the white elephant had the government financial transfers enjoyed by the other white elephants/ regional airports it wouldn't be a white elephant.
    mfitzy wrote:
    And as for being a 'backward' looking people, what a disgraceful insult to us.This landgrab is about much more than just hurling which claim, it is about protecting the integrity of our county against the greed and arrogance of Waterford City.

"Greed and Ignorance" you obviously haven't heard the "Hitlers henchmen" remarks from your oh so enlightened councillors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can anyone from Kilkenny tell me what investment by Kilkenny County Council has gone into the area of the "land grab" over the past 50 years?

Im trying to remain impartial here, so Im gathering up some facts. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hopcroft

Waterford people seem to miss the reason for Kilkenny's objection to the takeover. The core reason for the hostility to Waterford's annexation is that it attacks the Kilkenny person's identity. They are not from Waterford; they are Kilkenny people and do not want to lose their sense of what they are. Self esteem, belonging to a family , a community and a locality are vital to a person's self worth. Kilkenny people are proud of who they are. They are different from Waterford people. The Norman influence was much stronger in Kilkenny than in Waterford and genetically has much more significance. For centuries the Butlers of Ormond controlled Kilkenny down to the banks of the Suir at Waterford. This resulted in Kilkenny having much more independence from England than most Irish counties and in particular Wateford which was probably the most English town in Ireland outside Dublin.
    Not wishing to abandon their heritage is not the only reason they do not want to be considered Waterford people. For like it or not Waterford people have a poor reputation in Ireland. A reputation for being mean-spirited, insular and unfriendly. Try to talk to a stranger in most Waterford bars and more often than not you will get dirty looks or an ignorant silence. Many visitors to Waterford have commented on the unfriendly natives. Contrast this with Kilkenny and its booming tourism and attractive and world renowned festivals. I feel embarassed mentioning Waterford and its Light Opera Festival.
    The economic argument is the one most often used by Waterford to justify the takeover. What precisely will Waterford do in South Kilkenny that will revolutionise the lifes of the people there? Are they going to build Hospitals, airports, hotels. etc. there. I think not. I imagine it will be just another array of housing estates like the concrete jungle on the Dunmore Road. Well, we don't need Waterford to do that. Kilkenny county council can allow estates to be built there. In fact Waterford City council can't do anything that Kilkenny wont be able to do. What is needed is not annexation but cooperation. Kilkenny should work with Waterford to ensure that there is balanced and coherent development in South Kilkenny but it is Kilkenny territory and ultimately the responsibility of Kilkenny.
    Some contributors on this topic have an exalted view of the competence of Waterford. Sadly the record refutes this. From the chaos on the Dunmore Road to the removal of the statue of a man of learning;Luke Wadding and his replacement by an eccentric drunk;Thomas Francis Meagher Waterford has distinguished itself by its mediocrity. For many years Waterford has been in decline. Don't blame Kilkenny or central government in Dublin but its own second-rate leadership: civic, political and business. The ordinary Waterford person must also accept responsibility for tolerating this.
    Yet Waterford wants to inflict these nonentities on South Kilkenny. They probably see Slieverue as a place to dump their refuse; a handy landfill.
    Mary Hilda Cavanagh has been sneered at for referring to the people behind the takeover as 'Nazis'. However examine the facts. Hitler wanted to take over Eastern Europe for what he called 'lebensraum' ie. living space. He needed the Eastern European land in order to allow Germany to develop. This is exactly the argument that Waterford makes.
    There is no rational argument why Waterford should be allowed to expand into Kilkenny. Allow Waterford develop the territory it already has and let it become an example to the rest of the country of efficiency, regeneration and enterprise.

hopcroft wrote:
    Waterford people seem to miss the reason for Kilkenny's objection to the takeover. The core reason for the hostility to Waterford's annexation is that it attacks the Kilkenny person's identity. They are not from Waterford; they are Kilkenny people and do not want to lose their sense of what they are. Self esteem, belonging to a family , a community and a locality are vital to a person's self worth..

This is true.However nobody said they were trying to erode Kilkennys identity.The purpose of the boundary extension is sustainable development of the urban centre of the region and solely administrative..In fact the position of the council is the extension of the boundary should not effect cultural matters such as the GAA etc.An accomodation could be reached for example refering the new city wards to South Kilkenny wards.As it is the areas effected (and much further afield) is identified as the Waterford City rural area by Kilkenny co. co.

hopcroft wrote:
    Kilkenny people are proud of who they are. They are different from Waterford people. The Norman influence was much stronger in Kilkenny than in Waterford and genetically has much more significance. For centuries the Butlers of Ormond controlled Kilkenny down to the banks of the Suir at Waterford.This resulted in Kilkenny having much more independence from England than most Irish counties and in particular Wateford which was probably the most English town in Ireland outside Dublin. .

Are you actually trying to say Waterford and Kilkenny people are genetically different?

You seem to have to have some problem with English people.The connotations of your arguement are that Waterford people are more "English"

Since you are so familiar with history you should also know that the Waterford City borough extended much further into Kilkenny than it does now.The lands north of the Suir were originally administered by the Waterford borough as was Passage East.The area it administered North of the Suir was equal to that of the South.It was the English Monarch who changed this and therefore the present boundary minus the small adjustments in the 50'S are Engish creations.

hopcroft wrote:
    Not wishing to abandon their heritage is not the only reason they do not want to be considered Waterford people. For like it or not Waterford people have a poor reputation in Ireland.

Would you like to prove or subtantiate this with something concrete.

hopcroft wrote:
    A reputation for being mean-spirited, insular and unfriendly. Try to talk to a stranger in most Waterford bars and more often than not you will get dirty looks or an ignorant silence..

Again would you like to substantiate this.

hopcroft wrote:
    Many visitors to Waterford have commented on the unfriendly natives. .

Strange this does not stop them coming back here.

hopcroft wrote:
    Contrast this with Kilkenny and its booming tourism .

This is also strange since statistically Waterford has more visitors than Kilkenny.

hopcroft wrote:
    and attractive and world renowned festivals.

Such as? We put Corks capital of Culture to shame with the tall ships festival.Try hosting this on the Nore in Kilkenny.

hopcroft wrote:
    I feel embarassed mentioning Waterford and its Light Opera Festival. .

Why? You're obviously no friend of Waterford.Not that your embarresment is credible.We are actually quite proud of our light opera festival which has been Nationally and internationally acclaimed.
    hopcroft wrote:
    The economic argument is the one most often used by Waterford to justify the takeover. What precisely will Waterford do in South Kilkenny that will revolutionise the lifes of the people there? Are they going to build Hospitals, airports, hotels. etc. there. I think not. I imagine it will be just another array of housing estates like the concrete jungle on the Dunmore Road. Well, we don't need Waterford to do that. Kilkenny county council can allow estates to be built there..

No but we will be able to provide sanitation and waste collection services much more efficiently than Kilkenny co. co. as is done already in Waterford and by admission of a lot of people in the effected area.Also local roads.KK co.co. record on this is abysmal.

The fact that you mention hospitals and Hotels suggests you have problems differentiating National and local government and also private investment.

hopcroft wrote:
    In fact Waterford City council can't do anything that Kilkenny wont be able to do..

This is true but so far Kilkenny co .co has done SFA.

hopcroft wrote:
    What is needed is not annexation but cooperation. Kilkenny should work with Waterford to ensure that there is balanced and coherent development in South Kilkenny but it is Kilkenny territory and ultimately the responsibility of Kilkenny..

This is what Waterford wants but when we want it you call us Nazis and refer to it as Lebensraum.

hopcroft wrote:
    Some contributors on this topic have an exalted view of the competence of Waterford. Sadly the record refutes this. From the chaos on the Dunmore Road to the removal of the statue of a man of learning;Luke Wadding and his replacement by an eccentric drunk;Thomas Francis Meagher..

The chaos on the Dunmore road is a result of this area not being administerd by the City.It was a administered by Waterford county co.They referred to the lost revenue here when the City council took over as a "nice little earner"
    This suggests it was not ringfenced and invested in the area.Fast Forward to the present situation in Ferrybank and South KK.

As for Luke Wadding.His statue was relocated and not removed.As for TF eagher.You seem to have no problem smearing the name of one of Irelands great patriots just to get a cheap shot at Waterford.A man who risked his life for Irish Freedom.

hopcroft wrote:
    Waterford has distinguished itself by its mediocrity.For many years Waterford has been in decline. Don't blame Kilkenny or central government in Dublin but its own second-rate leadership: civic, political and business. The ordinary Waterford person must also accept responsibility for tolerating this...

More unsubstantiated comments.Most of the decline in Waterford has been due to poor road access to the city from Dublin.This has been Kilkenny co co. responsibility until relatively recently.

For a place in decline it still manages to provide most of the jobs for South Kilkenny.Indeed Waterford provides mor jobs for the region than anywhere else.If this is second rate business leadership then Kilkenny seriously need to get their act together.In fact Waterford has still managed to grow despite being the most underfunded city by central government.

hopcroft wrote:
    Yet Waterford wants to inflict these nonentities on South Kilkenny. They probably see Slieverue as a place to dump their refuse; a handy landfill..

These "non entities" would be an improvement on the present situation.
    hopcroft wrote:
    Mary Hilda Cavanagh has been sneered at for referring to the people behind the takeover as 'Nazis'. ..

As I said in my previous post comparing Waterford co coucil to Nazis not only minimises the suffering inflicted by the Nazis it also shows a grave insult that makes any perceived insult by Waterford posters pale in comparison.It is also shows an ignorance of the wider world and as you defend and condone this inapropriate behaviour,shows the neck you have for calling Waterford people insular.
    hopcroft wrote:
    However examine the facts. Hitler wanted to take over Eastern Europe for what he called 'lebensraum' ie. living space. He needed the Eastern European land in order to allow Germany to develop. This is exactly the argument that Waterford makes. ..

Hitler invaded sovereign countries and murdered their citizens in almost every country in Europe as well as exterminating half of Europes Jews and 20000000 russians to create lebensraum.Yes your right.This is exactly the arguement Waterford makes:rolleyes: There was I thinking it was sustainable development to avoid concrete jungles like the Dunmore road.

hopcroft wrote:
    There is no rational argument why Waterford should be allowed to expand into Kilkenny. Allow Waterford develop the territory it already has and let it become an example to the rest of the country of efficiency, regeneration and enterprise.

Of course there is a rational arguement.You are just not rational and persist in insulting all and sundry to diminish arational arguement.From Irish patriots to the victims of the holocaust.

Finally I think the resolve of Waterford is to be greatly admired.The fact that they have not capitulated to the threat of Hilda Cavanagh parading around Waterford in her black and amber bloomers is a credit to them.

mad man wrote:
    This is true.However nobody said they were trying to erode Kilkennys identity.The purpose of the boundary extension is sustainable development of the urban centre of the region and solely administrative..In fact the position of the council is the extension of the boundary should not effect cultural matters such as the GAA etc.An accomodation could be reached for example refering the new city wards to South Kilkenny wards.As it is the areas effected (and much further afield) is identified as the Waterford City rural area by Kilkenny co. co.

Are you actually trying to say Waterford and Kilkenny people are genetically different?

You seem to have to have some problem with English people.The connotations of your arguement are that Waterford people are more "English"

Since you are so familiar with history you should also know that the Waterford City borough extended much further into Kilkenny than it does now.The lands north of the Suir were originally administered by the Waterford borough as was Passage East.The area it administered North of the Suir was equal to that of the South.It was the English Monarch who changed this and therefore the present boundary minus the small adjustments in the 50'S are Engish creations.

Would you like to prove or subtantiate this with something concrete.

Again would you like to substantiate this.

Strange this does not stop them coming back here.

This is also strange since statistically Waterford has more visitors than Kilkenny.

Such as? We put Corks capital of Culture to shame with the tall ships festival.Try hosting this on the Nore in Kilkenny.

Why? You're obviously no friend of Waterford.Not that your embarresment is credible.We are actually quite proud of our light opera festival which has been Nationally and internationally acclaimed.

No but we will be able to provide sanitation and waste collection services much more efficiently than Kilkenny co. co. as is done already in Waterford and by admission of a lot of people in the effected area.Also local roads.KK co.co. record on this is abysmal.

The fact that you mention hospitals and Hotels suggests you have problems differentiating National and local government and also private investment.

This is true but so far Kilkenny co .co has done SFA.

This is what Waterford wants but when we want it you call us Nazis and refer to it as Lebensraum.

The chaos on the Dunmore road is a result of this area not being administerd by the City.It was a administered by Waterford county co.They referred to the lost revenue here when the City council took over as a "nice little earner"
    This suggests it was not ringfenced and invested in the area.Fast Forward to the present situation in Ferrybank and South KK.

As for Luke Wadding.His statue was relocated and not removed.As for TF eagher.You seem to have no problem smearing the name of one of Irelands great patriots just to get a cheap shot at Waterford.A man who risked his life for Irish Freedom.

More unsubstantiated comments.Most of the decline in Waterford has been due to poor road access to the city from Dublin.This has been Kilkenny co co. responsibility until relatively recently.

For a place in decline it still manages to provide most of the jobs for South Kilkenny.Indeed Waterford provides mor jobs for the region than anywhere else.If this is second rate business leadership then Kilkenny seriously need to get their act together.In fact Waterford has still managed to grow despite being the most underfunded city by central government.

These "non entities" would be an improvement on the present situation.

As I said in my previous post comparing Waterford co coucil to Nazis not only minimises the suffering inflicted by the Nazis it also shows a grave insult that makes any perceived insult by Waterford posters pale in comparison.It is also shows an ignorance of the wider world and as you defend and condone this inapropriate behaviour,shows the neck you have for calling Waterford people insular.

Hitler invaded sovereign countries and murdered their citizens in almost every country in Europe as well as exterminating half of Europes Jews and 20000000 russians to create lebensraum.Yes your right.This is exactly the arguement Waterford makes:rolleyes: There was I thinking it was sustainable development to avoid concrete jungles like the Dunmore road.

Of course there is a rational arguement.You are just not rational and persist in insulting all and sundry to diminish arational arguement.From Irish patriots to the victims of the holocaust.

Finally I think the resolve of Waterford is to be greatly admired.The fact that they have not capitulated to the threat of Hilda Cavanagh parading around Waterford in her black and amber bloomers is a credit to them.

Again blaming KK coco for the abysmal road access to waterford is grossly unfaIr and misleading;
    The NRA has been responsible for all N roads for last 12 or 13 years; KK coco would have little input into the development of a major road say like the N9. The decision to invest in it would come from the Department of Transport via Dept of Finance.The same applies for all kinds of infrastructure such as sewerage works, schools etc etc.
    The meagre budgets of authorities like Waterford City co or KK coco would never be sufficient to facilitate such major investments; central govt decisions to invest or not are key.
    Thus it has been continual govt neglect and failure to earmark funding on the N9 and other improvements that has left us with what we have today.

From reading these posts it has become clear that there is a misguided notion in Waterford that we in KK have somehow decided to neglect the road as some kind of petty means of stiffling growth in Waterford. What rubbish; do you honestly think we take pleasure in having to drive on such inadequate roads ourselves?

Or if this was true, why have the N25 and 24 through south KK mainly servicing waterford city seen big investment in last 20 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Trotter wrote:
    Can anyone from Kilkenny tell me what investment by Kilkenny County Council has gone into the area of the "land grab" over the past 50 years?

Im trying to remain impartial here, so Im gathering up some facts. Thanks!

Anyone?

Advertisement