Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leargas 7.30 tonight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

mfitzy wrote:
    Again blaming KK coco for the abysmal road access to waterford is grossly unfaIr and misleading.

Not just to Waterford.Waterfords Hinterland i.e South Kilkenny which is more dependent on Waterford than Kilkenny city.

mfitzy wrote:
    The NRA has been responsible for all N roads for last 12 or 13 years; KK coco would have little input into the development of a major road say like the N9.??

This has not stopped Kilkenny maintaining the N9/N10 north of the city.

The reason the NRA was set up was because the local authoriies were incapable of adminstering central funding for roads fairly.Kilkenny co.co illustrates this perfectly.

mfitzy wrote:
    The decision to invest in it would come from the Department of Transport via Dept of Finance.The same applies for all kinds of infrastructure such as sewerage works, schools etc etc..??

True but it is the local authority which determines where a lot of this is invested.This tends to be cherrypicked for North Kilkenny and Kilkenny City.It would also not stop them from building relief roads around places like Thomastown.

mfitzy wrote:
    The meagre budgets of authorities like Waterford City co or KK coco would never be sufficient to facilitate such major investments; central govt decisions to invest or not are key.

If they had done there job in the first place they might be still trusted with building the national routes.

mfitzy wrote:
    Thus it has been continual govt neglect and failure to earmark funding on the N9 and other improvements that has left us with what we have today...??

Again it has not stopped KK looking maintaining roads in the North of the County.

mfitzy wrote:
    From reading these posts it has become clear that there is a misguided notion in Waterford that we in KK have somehow decided to neglect the road as some kind of petty means of stiffling growth in Waterford. What rubbish; do you honestly think we take pleasure in having to drive on such inadequate roads ourselves??

If it is so misguided explain how the main road N9/N10 from Kilkenny to Carlow is a decent road that is as straight as a die.This is the road that Kilkenny depends on for acess to the capital.

In contrast the N9 from Waterford toDublin via Thomastown is literally worse than a mountain pass.Kilkenny is not dependent on this road for access to the capital.

Many Business leaders from Dublin are on record as saying that the road access to Waterford has prevented investment going to Waterford that has subsequently gone to Kilkenny.

Your uncrowned King (Phil Hogan) has persistently indulged in rants against the IDA for investing in Waterford instead of Kilkenny.

FG's John Bruton in the run up to the 2002 Election made a speech in Kilkenny stating FG would develop KK in preference to Waterford.This is obviously a market for this kind of rhetoric in Kilkenny.

mfitzy wrote:
    Or if this was true, why have the N25 and 24 through south KK mainly servicing waterford city seen big investment in last 20 years?

Because as you said the NRA has taken over responsibility therefore the improvement in maintenance and investment.This has nothing to do with Kilkenny co.co.

Also the N24 and N25 are vital for access to the Limerick/Mid West and Cork/South West to Rosslare Europort.To say they mainly service Waterford is incorrect.

Trotter wrote:
    Anyone?

Trotter,

Of hand practically zilch.Perhaps a poster from Kilkenny could enlighten us.I am willing to bet in the last 10 years definitely 5 the level of investment from Waterford has been more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mad man,
    we're never ever gona agree on anything here.

The 'N10 straight as a dye'; have you ever travelled it!!Its really twisting and windy to Carlow even though it may be wide.
    If it was that good why do I and most people I know go via Athy and 'Comer to Kildare and Dublin?
    You might be interseted to know that KK coco applied for £50 million back in 1992 to upgrade the N9 the same time as they were pleading with the govt for the Thmastwn bypass- it's fact look up the dail debates for 1992 if you don't believe.If this money had been sanctioned by the govt imagine how much it would have improved the road.Naturally enough the FF govt of the day scoffed at the notion of spending so much on the s East.

If you applied the same arguments to the N9 30 mile further up in s Kildare you could say they were ecnomically sabotaging all of us with some of the worst stretches of N9 after Castledermot; again rubbish.

As for the wonderful infrastructure that is supposedly up in N kk courtesy of Waterford revenues; you clearly have never travelled on the N77 between KK and Durrow if you think all the dosh is being spent up there!

Could you point out any companies that have specifically chosen KK over Waterford?? And if they did it was prob more to do with KK being 30 miles closer to the city.They're few and far between- sure isn't everybody in KK working in the many Waterford companies and thus 'taking all your jobs' according to many of the posts i've read!? IDA policy has clearly been focused on Waterford and good luck to you's for attracting such high profile employers.

And if there was such a ready market in KK for such so called 'anti-Waterford' rhetoric by FG, then why did they perform so badly in the last election.Yet more unfounded Waterford paronia that somehow we in KK are out to get them, and think about nothing else only how we can get one over on them.Just furhter highlights how self-obsessed Waterford people have become in my eyes and how they can and never will see beyond their own little patch down there by the Suir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

hopcroft wrote:
    Not wishing to abandon their heritage.

Hurling again......
    hopcroft wrote:
    For like it or not Waterford people have a poor reputation in Ireland. A reputation for being mean-spirited, insular and unfriendly. Try to talk to a stranger in most Waterford bars and more often than not you will get dirty looks or an ignorant silence. Many visitors to Waterford have commented on the unfriendly natives..

Funny one that. We've record tourist numbers at the minute. As for unfriendly natives, I stopped off in a bar near Thomastown on the way back from Dublin a couple of years ago. I thought I was on the set of Deliverance. Everything stopped - freeze frame. Slack jawed yokels doesn't even cover it.
    hopcroft wrote:
    Some contributors on this topic have an exalted view of the competence of Waterford. Sadly the record refutes this. From the chaos on the Dunmore Road to the removal of the statue of a man of learning;Luke Wadding and his replacement by an eccentric drunk;Thomas Francis Meagher Waterford has distinguished itself by its mediocrity. For many years Waterford has been in decline. Don't blame Kilkenny or central government in Dublin but its own second-rate leadership: civic, political and business. The ordinary Waterford person must also accept responsibility for tolerating this...

Of course everywhere you drive through in Kilkenny has statues of many historic (hurling) figures. Exit Thomastown. Non entities.....I refer you to the hurling statues again......

hopcroft wrote:
    They probably see Slieverue as a place to dump their refuse; a handy landfill...

Never thought of that one......but now that you mention it.....

hopcroft wrote:
    Mary Hilda Cavanagh has been sneered at for referring to the people behind the takeover as 'Nazis'. However examine the facts. Hitler wanted to take over Eastern Europe for what he called 'lebensraum' ie. living space. He needed the Eastern European land in order to allow Germany to develop. This is exactly the argument that Waterford makes....

I don't think he wore black and amber knickers though.......
    hopcroft wrote:
    There is no rational argument why Waterford should be allowed to expand into Kilkenny. Allow Waterford develop the territory it already has and let it become an example to the rest of the country of efficiency, regeneration and enterprise.

It already is....unlike the wasteland you so admire.:)

mfitzy wrote:
    Mad man,
    we're never ever gona agree on anything here.

The 'N10 straight as a dye'; have you ever travelled it!!Its really twisting and windy to Carlow even though it may be wide..

Yes I have frequently travelled it. The N9 from Carlow to Paulstown is pretty much a straight road all the way.As is the N10 from Paulstown to Kilkenny.There may be a couple of bends but it is certainly not "twisty and windy" as you say.In fact as I work in Dublin I have many times travelled on this road on the way to Waterford instead of taking the N9 at Paulstown through Gowran.The reason being thai its infinitesimally more safer than the N9.

Maybe I could ask you have you ever travelled the N9 south of Paulstown.There are the real "twisty windy roads" near Gowran and the Dungarvan bottleneck.If this isn't bad enough go on to the worst bottleneck in the country,Thomastown the "Daddy of them all" as Enda says.If this isn't bad enough there is still the rollercoaster ride that is Mullinavat and the danger of careering down a steep hillside adjacent to the road for several miles.

Maybe I am misjudging you maybe the N10 is bad.It is certainly no interstate.However it is a luxury compared to the roads I have described.
    mfitzy wrote:
    If it was that good why do I and most people I know go via Athy and 'Comer to Kildare and Dublin?..

I really cant answer this, you will have to ask them.Maybe because it is geographiclly convenient for you i.e a shortcut.It sounds illogical to me as the road is no better.
    mfitzy wrote:
    You might be interseted to know that KK coco applied for £50 million back in 1992 to upgrade the N9 the same time as they were pleading with the govt for the Thmastwn bypass- it's fact look up the dail debates for 1992 if you don't believe.If this money had been sanctioned by the govt imagine how much it would have improved the road.Naturally enough the FF govt of the day scoffed at the notion of spending so much on the s East...

1992.Not exactly yesterday.Was there a thundering silence for the subsequent eight years and the previous thirty?

mfitzy wrote:
    If you applied the same arguments to the N9 30 mile further up in s Kildare you could say they were ecnomically sabotaging all of us with some of the worst stretches of N9 after Castledermot; again rubbish...

Before you dismiss it as rubbish is it really that improbable.I live in North Kildare.I can not name names of the cuff.However some of the politicians in Kildare have voiced objection to the M9 motorway as it would bypass there towns and therefore so would business.I believe Phil Hogan made a similar speech.Some of the worst stretchs of the N9 are not after Castledermot.I will conced they are bad but almost ALL of the worst stretches are south of Paulstown.

mfitzy wrote:
    As for the wonderful infrastructure that is supposedly up in N kk courtesy of Waterford revenues; you clearly have never travelled on the N77 between KK and Durrow if you think all the dosh is being spent up there!...

Yes Durrow.Metropolis and economic engine that it is.It deserves priority!

mfitzy wrote:
    Could you point out any companies that have specifically chosen KK over Waterford?? And if they did it was prob more to do with KK being 30 miles closer to the city.They're few and far between- sure isn't everybody in KK working in the many Waterford companies and thus 'taking all your jobs' according to many of the posts i've read!? IDA policy has clearly been focused on Waterford and good luck to you's for attracting such high profile employers!...

Firstly I never once stated that anyone in Kilkenny are taking 'our' jobs.So please when your quoting me please have the decency not to imply that I did.The fact is the main economic driver for the South East is Waterford and provides 30%of the employment.

mfitzy wrote:
    And if there was such a ready market in KK for such so called 'anti-Waterford' rhetoric by FG, then why did they perform so badly in the last election.Yet more unfounded Waterford paronia that somehow we in KK are out to get them, and think about nothing else only how we can get one over on them.Just furhter highlights how self-obsessed Waterford people have become in my eyes and how they can and never will see beyond their own little patch down there by the Suir!...

Yet the main source of anti-Waterford rhetoric (Phil Hogan) did get elected.As I said he had something also to say about the M9 directing business away from KK as the National route would no longer pass through KK.Phil Hogan would have been bette served directing his vitriol at the Governments favouritism to the East,West,Mid West and South West region.Instead he saved it for Waterford and effectively South Kilkenny.If Martin Cullen was slamming KK every chance he got you would be concerned anout it too.That is what it is concern not self obsession as you call it.Phils rants have been published many times in the KK people and Waterford News & Star,so don't give me some bolox about unfounded paranoia.

• Advertisement

Yea I have travelled on the N9 from Paulstowm alrite- brutal road after Gowran.Pass through Thomastwn a lot, one of the worst bottleknecks in Ireland if not Europe- unbelievable that nothing was ever done.
    I’m familiar with all the road after Ballyhale- abysmal; the signs with ‘oncoming traffic in centre of road’ are a sick joke. I pity anybody that has to drive it on a regular basis, I really do. At last we have some progress on this road.

I can asure there has not been any silence on the N9 road form KK- it was continous govt indifference to the south east that meant it was never upgraded- how on earth could a local authority like the coco pay for such a major undertaking??

As for the N77-one of the most NB roads in the whole s East, the main road that links in with the N8, and thus N80 to the whole Midlands and West of the country. Handles ferocious HGV traffic form Glanbia plant and Galmoy mines. So it does deserve prority.

And as for Phil Hogan- I honestly think what he was spouting was bullsh1t myself!If I meet him out electioneering I’ll be bringing it up with him. I don’t think the best interests of S East are served with this kind of talk.
    He should as you say direct his anger towards the Govt indeed.

If I was a Government TD my shopping list for the region would be as follows;
    • Set up a South East development commission on the lines of the WDC in the West; a high successful lobby organisation over there. Co-operation (not scraps over borders) between ALL local authorities here in tandem with bodies like the IDA, Forfas etc. The vacant IDA business park in Carlow (I’m sure you know it- beside Toughers on Dublin Rd.) is a monument to the inaction of govt in promotion of the region, while just 30 miles up the road in Naas and all outside Dublin similar parks can’t be developed fast enough. The S East is a great location close to Dublin and place to live.

• Objective one development status for the region- we were unjustly lumped into so called developed objective two for geographical regions; a ludricous and unfair decision- a quick glance over the income figures for us make sobering reading. We lag behind many of the so-called underdeveloped counties such as Galway on all fronts.

• Immediate establishment of a South East university with joint campuses at the Carlow IT and WIT (unlike the wonderful Mary Hanafin who thinks we don’t need a uni in this region; she wouldn’t say that in her own Dublin constituency I can tell ya, but we in the S East are expected to be grateful for the scraps we get!!) Education is the key as Galway and Limerick demonstrate with their uni’s. We have, and correct me if I’m wrong, a bigger population than either the West or Mid West but yet we don’t have a uni!

• Delivery of the N9 project ASAP on time and on budget. I’d say the list of companies that have decided against setting up here because of the current ‘mountain pass’ is very long indeed. With the result we’ve all lost out.

• Upgrade of the Waterford-KK-Dublin railway line to double track; again the West seem to be v successful for lobbying for their Rail Corridor- our line is much busier and investment in it would be much more economically viable than running track through the Western bogs!

• Major upgrades of all the major hospitals in the region plus a radiotherapy service.
    • Upgrading of all other major roads and further investment in the regions ports

This is my vision for the future of the s east anyway and think I would accurately represent the wishes of all forward looking people in KK and the rest of the region.
    These are the kind of issues we should all be lobbying for instead of engaging in deeply divisive border extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Imagine the lobbying power a concerted effort between Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford would have, with a view to that kind of regional development as posted previously there.

I'd be all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Absolutely we should be putting all our energy into lobbying for the entire region instead of bickering over silly little things like hurling etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

While some of you seem to be so happy to slag off KK roads may I bring your attenetion back to Waterfrod Roads Specifically the ones that are inside the Waterford boundry in Ferrybank ie. from the Traffic Lights in Ferrybank to the Pitch & Putt in Ferrybank uneven and full of pot holes where is it located WATERFORD, From the end of the Jewel Carriage-way at Walsh's Bar along the Abbey Rd to Just past Power's Funeral Home again uneven and full of potholes where is it WATERFORD if you don't believe me look it up on a Map. These roads are the respobsibility of Waterfrod City Council to upkeep and maintain, and are they doing it no.

Lets take another topic that was discusted on the Leargus programme that you've all convinantly forgotten there is Waterford Corporation House build by permission of Kilkenny Co. Co. in Kilkenny and for several weeks after they were built there rubish wasn't been collected, by Waterford Corporation there convientant excuse was oh there in Kilkenny we'll wash our hands of them, even though the people living in them had to pay there taxes etc to Waterford Corporation. convienant how you forgot that isn't it.

trishw78 wrote:
    convienant how you forgot that isn't it.

I didnt forget anything. Because Im from Waterford, it means I had a hand in not collecting their rubbish?

Your tarring everyone with the same brush, so Im gonna do the same. You and the Waterford fundamentalist blaas go and argue over silly things, me and the others will talk sense and see is there a way of working this out for the benefit of everyone.

YER NOT HAVING KILKENNY>> YES I AM>> NO YOU'RE NOT>>

meh.. children.

What are the solutions? (That question is aimed at people from KK who would like to rationally discuss how we can move this all forward).

My idea on it is.. give KK the opportunity to invest the amount of money in the area that Waterford CC intend to invest. If they dont want to, allow Waterford to administer the area without changing the border. Then have a board set up from Waterford and KK people (only those who are willing to work with each other!) to advise on the administration, while being tasked with promoting and lobbying the Dail on behalf of KK and Waterford.

Sigh.. such BS going on at the moment. Being realistic, we cant deprive people of their county heritage, but we cant deprive people who live in the same area and dont have such alliegences of investment. So.. the solution lies in reaching an accomodation between those types of people. Its very doable and the screamers are only going to prolong the problem.

Dammit just put me in charge!!! Kilkenny and Waterford are nice places with plenty of capacity for economic growth!!!

:D

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:
    I didnt forget anything. Because Im from Waterford, it means I had a hand in not collecting their rubbish?

Your tarring everyone with the same brush, so Im gonna do the same. You and the Waterford fundamentalist blaas go and argue over silly things, me and the others will talk sense and see is there a way of working this out for the benefit of everyone.

YER NOT HAVING KILKENNY>> YES I AM>> NO YOU'RE NOT>>

meh.. children.

What are the solutions? (That question is aimed at people from KK who would like to rationally discuss how we can move this all forward).

My idea on it is.. give KK the opportunity to invest the amount of money in the area that Waterford CC intend to invest. If they dont want to, allow Waterford to administer the area without changing the border. Then have a board set up from Waterford and KK people (only those who are willing to work with each other!) to advise on the administration, while being asked with promoting and lobbying the Dail on behalf of KK and Waterford.

Sigh.. such BS going on at the moment. Being realistic, we cant deprive people of their county heritage, but we cant deprive people who live in the same area and dont have such alliegences of investment. So.. the solution lies in reaching an accomodation between those types of people. Its very doable and the screamers are only going to prolong the problem.

Dammit just put me in charge!!! Kilkenny and Waterford are nice places with plenty of capacity for economic growth!!!

:D
    Exactly, this kind of childish stuff doesnt change the fact that we need major investment in both KK and Waterford.
    They are great places to live, with huge potential and very well located.
    Both sides need to sit down like rational human beings, air their grevances and then meet some where in the middle; it's called compromise!

The real focus should be on lobbying to reverse the criminal underinvestment by govt in this region.

trotter wrote:
    Your tarring everyone with the same brush
    far from it actually, it has been implied in this tread that Waterford CC could do a better job than KK in administering the area. They haven't exactly been doin a a bang up job on the part of Ferrybank that is in Waterford.

As for Kk not wanting to invest only last year when a much needed shopping complex was put forward for the area. Waterford CC were the only ones to objecting this complex was scaled down to offices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

trishw78 wrote:
    far from it actually, it has been implied in this tread that Waterford CC could do a better job than KK in administering the area. They haven't exactly been doin a a bang up job on the part of Ferrybank that is in Waterford.

As for Kk not wanting to invest only last year when a much needed shopping complex was put forward for the area. Waterford CC were the only ones to objecting this complex was scaled down to offices

Did you perhaps read the An Bord Pleanala report on it!!! It was scathing in relation to the planning dept of Kilkenny Co Co. It went against its own PLUTS for the area and was being built, not as a neighbourhood centre but in direct competition to Waterford City Centre. Something like twice the size of City Square with a catchment area of 30 miles

New Ross Town Council, Clonmel Town Concil, Waterford Chamber of Commerce also objected to it.

This is the very reason why Waterford City Council should administer the area to stop this kind of thing from happening.

===============Stop Press==============

Dug this out this morning:

This is an extract of what An Bord Pleanala had to say on the matter
    =======================================================
    REFUSE permission for the above proposed development based on the reasons and considerations set out below.

REASONS AND CONSIDERATIONS

1. It is considered that the proposed development, due to the extent and scale of the retail floor space proposed, in particular comparison floor space, would be significantly in excess of the needs of the future population of the northern suburbs of Waterford City that are located in County Kilkenny, would be of a type and form that would be likely to impact in a significant and detrimental way on the vitality and vibrancy of Waterford City centre and would be contrary to the provisions of the Development Plan for the Waterford City Environs (Kilkenny County Development Plan 2002) for this designated District Centre site, and would conflict with the principles and criteria set out in the Retail Planning Guidelines for Planning Authorities, issued by the Department of the Environment and Local Government in December, 2000. The proposed development would, therefore, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

2. It is considered that the proposed development, by reason of its bulk, mass and scale, its monolithic form and internalised nature and its lack of pedestrian scale or of visual or functional linkages with the surrounding area, would be visually obtrusive, would fail to provide an appropriate form of urban design for the site and would fail to create a sense of place and focal point for the Ferrybank suburban area on a site which is designated as the District Centre for the developing northern suburbs of Waterford City that are located in County Kilkenny. The proposed development would, therefore, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

================================================
    The full text is available on-line at http://www.pleanala.ie/alldec241204.html

ID is 10207509

I agree the report it was to big but the peole of south KK and the surrounding area hate the idea of having to travel into and around town to get to supermarkets getting parking in town is ridiculas and a bit on the expensive side. forget about going near the place in the run up to Christmas it's pure chaos.

trishw78 wrote:
    I agree the report it was to big but the peole of south KK and the surrounding area hate the idea of having to travel into and around town to get to supermarkets getting parking in town is ridiculas and a bit on the expensive side. forget about going near the place in the run up to Christmas it's pure chaos.

Trust me.. most of Waterford hates going shopping in Waterford. (Personally I hate going shopping anywhere, but thats a different story altogether).

People from South Kilkenny haven't got a monopoly on that. I mean look.. you're complaining about the big city again.. the one that these people need and use and depend on! Fix the road to KK city and maybe the Waterford crowd would go there for the day!?

Then again.. KK shops dont need our money right? :rolleyes:

What part of the road is broken

I think he means the N9 to KK; in that case all of it is broken!

When the new road opens hopefully in the next 3-4 years we're told there will be much more trade between waterford and KK, and we will be encouraged to go to waterrford and vice versa.
    Waterford city council was clearly protecting its own interests as it's entitled to do; I wouldn't be in favour of a huge shopping centre to serve just 5000 people either.A smaller kind of one with say 15 shops would have been more appropriate instead.

As an aside, in the case of New Ross objecting, there was no protest when Tesco recently opened a big superstore on 'their' side of the town; seems a bit like double standards to me!Competition is to be welcomed and is generally good for consumers.Look at how Carlow town has upped its game recently and many KK shoppers go there now; the result is shops in KK have upped their game in response with two new centers under constrcution in town.

In Fairness I've travelled the n9 to Kilkenny a few times and it's not that bad besides the dangerous driving from the public in general (I'm going to stop myself from starting another rant over rounabouts, but seriously... I'm going to start a name and shame campain)

trishw78 wrote:
    In Fairness I've travelled the n9 to Kilkenny a few times and it's not that bad besides the dangerous driving from the public in general (I'm going to stop myself from starting another rant over rounabouts, but seriously... I'm going to start a name and shame campain)

I'm from KK too but I would never defend the N9- it's absolutely woeful- mere words can ahrdly describe how bad it is!!
    Its not just dangerous driving from the public; when a road has warning signs to warn about 'oncoming traffic in centre of road' I think you'll find it's not the poor overtaxed motorist but the road design and quality that is at fault!

People are in a hurry, say they need to be in Dublin for a meeting and are stuck behind a truck to Thomastown; it's hardly surprising that people will take risks overtaking (ie dangerous driving) etc on this crap road.

I know 2 or 3 people who commute to Waterford from KK and they all complain a lot about the road. In parts its deadly dangerous. In my previous post I meant the N9 section, apologies.

Still.. The road to Dublin via KK is so desperately needed and undermaintained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I see that Fine Gael are jumping on the bandwagon fishing for votes in South Kilkenny. :D
    Waterford.jpg

trishw78 wrote:
    What part of the road is broken

ALL OF IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Granny or granagh or whatever that place is called to paulstown is a disgrace! Kilkenny county is like a giant museum of what the 1950's looked like.

the citys all right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

On this subject did anyone read the letter in this weeks News and Star from some clown in Glenmore , its in reply to Colm O Shea who I think is Col O on boards , its an absolute disgrace that the editor left such a rant be publishe d in his paper , its insulting to Waterford people and imo to any right minded Kilkenny people out there ,

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Any chance of a link or posting the letter in question?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I assume the letter was in response to Colm's one he sent in the previous week

What did your man say from Glenmore!??
    I think this has all gone on long enough at this stage- can KK and Waterford not settle their differences and please move on?The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think we should look at this issue from a logical point of view, and the starting point would be to disregard completely the GAA view in all this. That's not to say they're not entitled to their opinion - they certainly are, as the most important social organisation in the country. However we elect the government - not the GAA - to decide this sort of thing.

There are plenty of precedents for this kind of local-authority re-organisation around Ireland, North and South, as regards the GAA:

1. North of the border, there are 26 local government districts, and the GAA has never re-aligned its organisation to recognise these. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_ireland#Counties_in_Northern_Ireland

2. Counties Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford are divided into city and county, which have equal status in terms of their authority and remit.

3. Dublin is divided into Fingal, South Dublin, Dún Laoighaire-Rathdown and Dublin City, yet there is a single Dublin team for all GAA sports.

4. There aren't two separate Tipperary teams, despite that county being divided into North and South Ridings.

Points 2, 3 and 4 are probably not that relevant to this discussion, but the first point about the North certainly is. The fact that Tyrone or Antrim do not actually exist any more for practical purposes certainly doesn't (and shouldn't) stop people supporting their county.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Boundary change - facts not fiction!

I correct Mr. Colm John O’Shea in the letter’s page (Wednesday, May 17th) on his remarks about Kilkenny city and Co. Kilkenny in general.

He wants to play the name and blame game and he wants pity for the homeless, Jews, Germans, Waterford WIT, Waterford Airport, and even maybe himself by the look of most of his remarks. As President John Fitzgerald Kennedy remarked in 1963 and I quote: “Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.”

He was right back then and he is right even now, and let it be said there is no time for those of us who fail to even try, and no time for the lazy kind on the footpath. Things do not come in the door to you, you must go, get, find and keep them. Idleness and laziness is a mortal sin and my remarks are fact- based and by no means in the least mean-spirited.

And it’s not about sport or the game; in fact, it is simply based on little things like morals and principles. We have these in county Kilkenny and Kilkenny city, unlike most other places, I may add. However, that’s a choice for them and them alone.

If I want or need a decent lecture from anyone with common sense I will go to either UCD or the campus for Maynooth based in St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny city, thank you.

Colm, you should pop in there sometime, it really is mind-blowing - it did me wonders in fact. If Kilkenny needs or wants company we will hook up with Co. Carlow. After all, most Carlow folk are born in Kilkenny anyway and proudly fly and wrap themselves up in the black and amber colours. We share the one political region, one hospital, and the one radio station and we are both happy in Leinster and proud of it.

Let Waterford hook up with Cork or Tipperary and see the answer they will give you - no thank you. Need I say more. The Kilkenny Cats always beat the Waterford Rats - you really should know this by now.

Graignakill
    Glenmore
    Co. Kilkenny

Well lads- I presume this is the letter you meant in the waterford paper!
    I'm not sure how realistic this man is being when reffering to maynooth campus in KK- it's nothing much and only offers a few history and socialogy courses-hardly cutting courses to encourage industry and investment to Kilkenny or the south east.Our only hope is for WIT to gain uni status in this region with the possibility of Carlow IT coming on board later on.

Not too sure about the close relationship between KK and Carlow either!There is a lot of rivalry here too- carlow politicians regularly slag off KK and the fact that we have the hospital and statements like it should be relocated to Carlow etc..
    Also I thought the waterford rats statement a bit off the wall- yes we are strongly against the boundary move in KK but this kind of thing is insulting to Waterford people.

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote:
    Friday, May 26, 2006

Boundary change - facts not fiction!

I correct Mr. Colm John O’Shea in the letter’s page (Wednesday, May 17th) on his remarks about Kilkenny city and Co. Kilkenny in general.

He wants to play the name and blame game and he wants pity for the homeless, Jews, Germans, Waterford WIT, Waterford Airport, and even maybe himself by the look of most of his remarks. As President John Fitzgerald Kennedy remarked in 1963 and I quote: “Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.”

He was right back then and he is right even now, and let it be said there is no time for those of us who fail to even try, and no time for the lazy kind on the footpath. Things do not come in the door to you, you must go, get, find and keep them. Idleness and laziness is a mortal sin and my remarks are fact- based and by no means in the least mean-spirited.

And it’s not about sport or the game; in fact, it is simply based on little things like morals and principles. We have these in county Kilkenny and Kilkenny city, unlike most other places, I may add. However, that’s a choice for them and them alone.

If I want or need a decent lecture from anyone with common sense I will go to either UCD or the campus for Maynooth based in St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny city, thank you.

Colm, you should pop in there sometime, it really is mind-blowing - it did me wonders in fact. If Kilkenny needs or wants company we will hook up with Co. Carlow. After all, most Carlow folk are born in Kilkenny anyway and proudly fly and wrap themselves up in the black and amber colours. We share the one political region, one hospital, and the one radio station and we are both happy in Leinster and proud of it.

Let Waterford hook up with Cork or Tipperary and see the answer they will give you - no thank you. Need I say more. The Kilkenny Cats always beat the Waterford Rats - you really should know this by now.

Graignakill
    Glenmore
    Co. Kilkenny

Well lads- I presume this is the letter you meant in the waterford paper!
    I'm not sure how realistic this man is being when reffering to maynooth campus in KK- it's nothing much and only offers a few history and socialogy courses-hardly cutting courses to encourage industry and investment to Kilkenny or the south east.Our only hope is for WIT to gain uni status in this region with the possibility of Carlow IT coming on board later on.

Not too sure about the close relationship between KK and Carlow either!There is a lot of rivalry here too- carlow politicians regularly slag off KK and the fact that we have the hospital and statements like it should be relocated to Carlow etc..
    Also I thought the waterford rats statement a bit off the wall- yes we are strongly against the boundary move in KK but this kind of thing is insulting to Waterford people.

Have to agree with you there. This individual is a pretty nasty piece of work.
    Yes - we've all been having a go at each other, but this is overstepping the mark.

Advertisement