Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: 2X10 - "The 23rd Psalm" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 17-04-2006 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "THE 23RD PSALM" -

Episode Title: "The 23rd Psalm"
    Airdate: April 17th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

This episode will shed more light on why Eko took a mysterious 40-day vow of silence, and possibly information on his stick. Also, Claire begins to lose faith in Charlie after Eko begins to question him about the Virgin Mary statue, and Kate gives the recovering Sawyer a much-needed haircut.

Next New Episode: 2X11 - "The Hunting Party" - April 24th 2006

EDIT: US Discussion Thread for this episode!

What did you think of "The 23rd Psalm"? 43 votes

0%
    18%
    V9Buck OwenstvnutzPatricideBartronilicBFassassincastagnolibebo.com 8 votes
    27%
    ElmoJBoyle4evaSpockerSanta ClausSparkofaigsbikoSilageim...LOSTChumpskiFuzzy_DunlopNUTZZ 12 votes
    30%
    timeoutstarman100jamescrombieXcom2CrucifixmagickweemcdeirebhoyEamonnKeaneAgamemnonJellolostirishgirlHaven't a Clue 13 votes
    11%
    KolodnyLagunaCountryWiseBinkapokerwidow 5 votes
    9%
    ChazdeisedollyDurassquire1 4 votes
    2%
    kyp_durron 1 vote
    0%
    0%
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

basquille wrote:
    Episode Title: "The 23rd Psalm"
    Airdate: April 17th 2006
    Next New Episode: 2X11 - "The Hunting Party" - April 24th 2006
    Do you just copy paste this stuff without reading it?
    Why?
    I think that info may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

basquille wrote:
    and Kate gives the recovering Sawyer a much-needed haircut.

tis a good cut alright, shortened on the back and sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I think that info may be wrong.
    Me? Wrong?.... there must be some mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Brilliant except for the whole Monster is a Swirl of Black Smoke thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I liked it. Cool look into Eko's crazy past (I'm not so sure he was on the other's list now), and a good look at the...uh...whatever that smokey thing is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Brilliant episode. My favourite so far.

Mr. Eko is just too damn cool, very surprising to leanr his background! And the whole thing with the Black Mist (Lostzilla?) whoah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Oh man! The black smoke thingy. What a disappointment! You mean all you have to do is stare at it and it goes away? Is that the same thing that Locke faced when he was hunting boar way back in series 1 and they never gave us an explanation. No wonder he never told anyone - it was most un-spectacular.
    And the haircut? i think it should be a bit shorter in that heat. You don't want it around your neck now, do you? Someone should mention that to Sayid. He'd be a lot more comfy with a haircut like Jack's. Hurley could do with one too.

anybody notice anything weird inside the black cloud :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

yeah it looked like there were flashes of people inside the cloud?

The flashes....kind of looked like a guys face at one point. If the repeats on this week I'll probably try and get a better look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I have now included a link in the first post above to the discussion thread for this episode when it aired on US TV.

All this stuff such as faces in black smoke (etc.) are all dealt with in great detail there!

Interesting reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Theres loads of screenshots of inside the monster on the web. Its basically his backstory that was featured in the episode.

Anima wrote:
    Theres loads of screenshots of inside the monster on the web. Its basically his backstory that was featured in the episode.

well done anima, ruin it for everyone why don't ya? at least i was pussy footin around a bit. tut tut, bold anima....bold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah there were pictures of people in the smoke monster, I'm now assuming that the monster has some sort of basis in psycho-phenomenon, e.g. if you remember the Dharma video it showed children having psychic experiments perfomed on them, I'm guessing this 'monster' is the result of all their (Dharma's) experiments..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

I'm glad the Monster was something genuinely original and weird. Something overwhelming would have been too standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

well done anima, ruin it for everyone why don't ya? at least i was pussy footin around a bit. tut tut, bold anima....bold!

How is that ruining it? That's EXACTLY what people who've just seen the episode would be looking for - info you cant make out in real time, especially as most of use wouldnt have the means to slow it right down. The makers WANT us to see the likes of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Screw subtlety! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very good ep. Really enjoyed Eko's backstory, one of the best so far imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mr. Eko is the absolute man, the way the camera flew into him and he didnt even flinch, the guy is coolness personified. Aint no fog gonna push him around - he said himself he wasnt afraid of it. what a guy.

nice the way they covered his whole (or the majority of his) back story in one episode.

The lost folks are k'were fúckers for cutting away when michael was typing on the computer. I think the other person was saying you need to conn... (am i right here?)

im guessing they were going to say connect to something? Ill give the episode an 8 because of the insane coolness of eko. i will be helluva pissed next week if we do not see desmond again, for god sake, the lost creative team are making him almost worse than the french woman for appearences!

weemcd wrote:
    i will be helluva pissed next week if we do not see desmond again, for god sake, the lost creative team are making him almost worse than the french woman for appearences!

they said after the 2nd episode of series two that he wouldn't feature in any more episodes....
    its no like i tells ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Ecko really is **** cool - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is one lucky man, first Oz, now Lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

anyone else think it was kinda cool/ co-incidental that the nigerians who come into the vilage in the car and disturbed the boys playing football, decide to take a kid. As mr eko steps up and shoots the old man, they decide to take him as he is a "natural born killer" - or something to that effetct. They took him with them as he was strong enough to be of use to them.

Am i the only one who sees this as a direct paralell to walts kidnapping, as in the others saw something in walt they wanted and took him with them...

this could be the nanobots going into my mind and projecting images into my head, of mabye ive caught the sickness... i just a thought, that with lost are there ever any un-intended co-incidences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Good episode. Thank you for posting the link to the US discussion. That was very interesting.

I had a look at the map and how the hell could a plane leaving Nigeria end up in the Pacific? Was it meant to land in Chile or another of the western South American countries? Therefore the island must be quite close to S.America because they wouldn't have had enough fuel to go much further.

Can't wait to see the rest of Eko's story. Hope we do not have to wait as long as we did for Kate's.

Rolo, I saw LA Confidential last night on BBC. Am I dreming or is your name the same as the alias of the chief of police?
    Sorry to get off topic.

pokerwidow wrote:

Rolo, I saw LA Confidential last night on BBC. Am I dreming or is your name the same as the alias of the chief of police?
    Sorry to get off topic.

whhhaaa hey! tis indeed, i used to go under Kyser Soyze back in the day but everyone jumped on that bandwagon so i went for a more sly type of alias. Well done on the pick up, 5th person now on boards me thinks to ask that. There is a guy called Rolo Tomozzi on boards.ie too but he is an imposter, it's not even the right spelling, i'm pondering the tought of killing him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

whhhaaa hey! tis indeed, i used to go under Kyser Soyze back in the day but everyone jumped on that bandwagon so i went for a more sly type of alias. Well done on the pick up, 5th person now on boards me thinks to ask that. There is a guy called Rolo Tomozzi on boards.ie too but he is an imposter, it's not even the right spelling.
    Oh I also picked up on your 'name' the first time I saw you floating around boards, I just couldn't be bothered to point out that it was from L.A. Confidential..

of course you did ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not sure why everyone has such a raging hard on for Mr. Eko (he's the vigilante with a heart of gold!) but yeah, it was a good episode.

Can't say I saw any faces in the smoke, just electrical fields, but it's obvious from the screencaps on the other thread that they're there. So the smoke can either read minds or already has information about the crash survivors.

Anyone else notice the Iraqis dealing with Eko mentioned Sayid? I know it's a pretty common name but still, this is Lost.

I also find it pretty strange that Michael wouldn't trust the others and tell them he's been in touch with Walt. What's he got to lose? As far as I can tell Walt had typed, "You have to con..." before the camera turned away.

I wonder if he was going to ask Michael to convince him of something but that's pure speculation on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i thought it was you have to come?
    why could jack not see the writing on the screen when he went around the computer.is it all in michaels head?
    the eko kidnapping was very similar to walts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

For me that was the best episode of the season so far! Its about time they got someone like eko into the plot. Thought his backstory was the most interesting so far, not that i don't like the other people's stories.

That episode nearly patched up a lot of details concerning the beach plane but does anyone know what brought it down? I know that it was smoking heavily when it was descending but an air pocket wouldn't do that. Would it?

I noticed them mentioning sayid's name aswel, maybe we will find out in his next episode.

No matter what they made the "monster" look like there would always be someone that thought it would be crap. I liked it, as someone said, its original and seems to be highly complex. It sounded like it was mechanical, but we know now that it wasn't and that there seems to be a pyhscological reason behind it appearing to be a huge monster. You can see also how trees are pulled out of the ground also to simulate something walking through them. The lost motto would suggest "everything happens for a reason", there is most defiantely a reason locke and eko are still alive.

I also now realized that in the 1st season when kate through the dynamite down the hole that a big puff of black smoke appeared to be destroyed, is there more than one?

One thing that is bothering me though, its supposed to be a "security system", what the hell is a big puff of black fog with knowledge of peoples lifes protecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

pokerwidow wrote:

I had a look at the map and how the hell could a plane leaving Nigeria end up in the Pacific?

what island have you been living on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Yay points for me for saying a few weeks ago that Eko might have something to do with the plane crashed in the jungle!!
    Great epsiode! Never noticed one thing about the smoke, too busy crapping myself! Im raging now I missed something so obvious. Good job I have the internet to fill in the blanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

BFassassin wrote:
    why could jack not see the writing on the screen when he went around the computer.is it all in michaels head?

I thought this for a moment too, but didn't 'Walt' say 'they' were coming back soon, so maybe he just had to cut off communication fairly sharpish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

i thought it was a brilliant episode overall, eko's is definiteley my favourite back story so far, the man is such a beast. not sure about the smoke, tis a bit queer. knowing lost im sure it'll be explained completely withink the next episode or 2 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I thought this for a moment too, but didn't 'Walt' say 'they' were coming back soon, so maybe he just had to cut off communication fairly sharpish?
    still I think that whatever was typed should still be on the screen.

Also they have to be fairly close to Nigera/ Africa as those types of plane that crashed don't have a long flying time. Anyone know the distance these things can reach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Iv been defending Lost to friends of mine who keep telling me its gonna be another X-Files, its just gonna get crap cos they're gonna milk it for too many seasons until no-one cares what the island is or why they're there, like at the end of th x Files everyone had lost interest in whta the conspiracy was cos it probably wasnt the real one etc etc. I must say, the Black smoke monster thingy last night made me wonder if they have a point???

• Advertisement

Silage wrote:
    I also now realized that in the 1st season when kate through the dynamite down the hole that a big puff of black smoke appeared to be destroyed, is there more than one?
    It was blown out of the ground, but then it gathered and flew off as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very good episode. I'd been looking forward to Eko's backstory since Season 2 started, so I was delighted that this ep looked into his past. Very good story, loved the way it linked to the smugglers on the island.
    My favourite part of the episode had to be when Eko stared down the smoke. I loved the shot that started at the side of Eko, and went right around the cloud. I've seen the episode twice, the first time I could have sworn I saw faces, but when I watched it today I thought I had been imagining things and that they were just flickering electrical charges. Are there definately faces in the smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I'm not dissapointed with the Black Smoke because since Locke faced it, it was obviously not something to be afraid of. And it is very interesting. I knew there some kind of clips in it but couldn't make it out. Even sounds like film rolling really loudly. Good to see the screen caps.

I'm pissed off that Michael is keeping the Walt conversation a secret. It's not even like they told him not to use the computer for communicating yet.

What exactly happened Eko when they took him. Did they just train him to be a drug dealer or what? His life between being kidnapped and the plane thing is very unclear.

Is Charlie using the heroin at the moment or what though? I can't remember if he used any of it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Was an excellent ep alright, I thought the backstory was very good, particularly the twist where Eko becomes a priest. However, I gave this ep a 9 particularly because Mcihael's storyline was completely overshadowed by Eko and also the end with Charley was very dissapointing as I find a person that is clean from drugs is hiding drugs.... which seems like a pointless sub-plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

You know,I remember the discussion about the very first episode of Lost where people,several people were complaining that it would be rather stupid if the "monster" was actually a monster,or a dinosaur etc. There was talk about how lame it would be as it would be Jurassic Park all over again,or if it was some sort of nuke-altered animal (i.e Godzilla in the crappy movie they made a few years back) that it would suck.

Now they do this really interesting,cool and totally unexpected portrayal of "Lostzilla" and people are complaining? Come on! Who saw that coming? How brilliant was it that you could see all of Eko's flashbacks in the smoke,and that the smoke still somehow makes a mechanical noise? It was really interesting and brought up so many questions about what the hell it actually is,as opposed to revealing it as a dinosaur or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I thought that was a brilliant episode!! It seems that all the 2nd series episodes are getting good now; they were all bad up to the 7th, and then they started to get really good :)

Basquille, I see you took my idea of linking to the US discussion thread ;)

I have to agree with tvnutz totally. I'm glad it is what it is. Its very complex.

I wonder if it intelligent or is it being controllled?

I really didn't expect them to show it to us...my bro just shouted out "just show us the F***ing thing" and lo and behold. I think everyone was suprised by what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

It seems to me that no one took the time to read the US forum(though it could be due to my speed reading that I missed it)
    There was a link there that had some very interesting pictures of the "monster";)
    Here you go
    PS:
    That woman is creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

How could a tiny propeller plane like that fly from Nigeria to Polynesia - about halfway around the world? I suppose it's the "magic of Lost" playing tricks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Earthhorse wrote:

Anyone else notice the Iraqis dealing with Eko mentioned Sayid? I know it's a pretty common name but still, this is Lost.

The first dealer says a word which sounds like "Sayid" (as other viewers may have thought it to be), but he actually says: "Sayidna", which means "he will help us".

I thought this was interesting, so I said I would post it; when Eko and "lostzilla" were facing off, whispers could be heard, this is what they were,

(Facing off with Mr. Eko)
    Who are you and why are you here?
    Report, report!
    Saw Charlie with him
    There’s Charlie
    Go to hell
    Steadily

(Within the smoke)
    He’s trying here
    Nothing yet
    Now try him from here, okay
    Those are the roles (or rules) you accept
    Go to hell
    (said with Eko’s accent)
    Nine
    Where
    Seven
    He’s hiding something
    He’s hiding from me

I thought that was a brilliant episode!! It seems that all the 2nd series episodes are getting good now; they were all bad up to the 7th, and then they started to get really good :)

I agree with you, ...well sort of. I wouldnt say the first 7 episodes were "bad", its just people were comparing it to the first Season too much and we have moved on from there. The last few episodes have been really good and it seems that they keep getting better and better... lets hope it continues that way.

I found this on Humpys dot net, its a slide show of all the images that appeared in the smoke:
    ekosmoke5ks.gif

NUTZZ wrote:
    (Facing off with Mr. Eko)
    Who are you and why are you here?
    Report, report!
    Saw Charlie with him
    There’s Charlie
    Go to hell
    Steadily

(Within the smoke)
    He’s trying here
    Nothing yet
    Now try him from here, okay
    Those are the roles (or rules) you accept
    Go to hell
    (said with Eko’s accent)
    Nine
    Where
    Seven
    He’s hiding something
    He’s hiding from me

Woh! That's weird. How did you get that? What does it mean?

I tried slowing down some of the whispers in the 1st series but i could not make out one word they were saying.

Advertisement