Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies.

Options
  • 17-04-2006 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm still in Junior Cert but in 5th year next year. What is construction studies exactly?:confused: I need to do that over Tech Graphics so I can do L.C.V.P Please help! I need to know for next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

Basicly Construction studies is the study of construction. Goes into Building, Planning permission, Foundations, Drawings ect & woodworking. Its good to have a good hand for drawing for some of the plans you have to draw but the drawings are only a very small part.

You will have to make a project out of wood as part of your overall project. Ive chosen to make a double bass stand as my project.

The course if broken up into

1- The written test (Done on the day)
    2 - The Project you plan to make, along with a detailed write up about what you used ect, (called a brief).
    3- Speed test - You have to make a joint out of wood in a certin amount of time.

Construction studies is normally the lead on from Woodwork.

~ Idgeitman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

If you do Tech Graphics the drawing will come very easy to you. They are very basic its noting compared to Tech Drawing, Like you dont have to get the measurements right on the drawing but you must state what the measurements in full scale. The theory can be sometimes very boring because you have to go into quite a bit of detail on stuff & getting U-Values and Lux values ect. All the same I like the subject think its good to know that type of info for later in life as it will come in handy.

Anyway im F**ked for my project, have it all cut but noting glued or sanded im making a sun lounger

Im still in the process of glueing mine, but the teacher would normally stay back, and let us work on our project after school, they not do that for you?

~ Idgeitman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

yea he stayed back 3 days over 3 weeks till 8. I would get so far then I would need his help(my class is big 26 people) and I would be waitin 10mins to ask him. I would have it gulded before the mid term but I had to get special flat head drill bits & didnt get them till after I was off!

Still fu*ked tho....brief & geog field study

yeah this week i gotta do my construction breif/ LVCP write up, and the Geog one aswell,

ah well few week and it'll all be over ;)

~ Idgeitman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 morke

Does anyone know what level of detail is required for the model in the LC construction studies course. I'm doing a house, and the only thing the teacher say is that the level of detail is up to me. Do I need to show rafters, wall plates, damp courtse, etc
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Does anyone know what level of detail is required for the model in the LC construction studies course. I'm doing a house, and the only thing the teacher say is that the level of detail is up to me. Do I need to show rafters, wall plates, damp courtse, etc
    Thanks
    Morke,
    How can you show a DPC or wall plates if you are doing a model?:confused:

Well its the same with my teacher in my school. He just says it up to you as to the amount of detail but of course if you wanted a higher grade you would have to do more detailed stuff such as showing the rafters ,ceiling joists and insulation on a exposed roof on the model.

I would say to put in as much detail as you can because models of houses are
    so common-place and they are fairly easy to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

http://theleavingcert.com/downloads.html

check out my experiments and drawings for a bit of a taster. You need to know all of those drawingsfor q1, you can just copy the experiments even if you didn't do them (who's gonna know ;) )

i hated construction, but it's pretty easy in fairness. It would be hard to fail - put it that way. A lot of it (well, most of the written part) can be bluffed.

http://theleavingcert.com/constructionstudies.html - that's my analysis which should be of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Thanks Smemon..
    Nice site you have there!:)

Fool 5000 wrote:
    Thanks Smemon..
    Nice site you have there!:)

always a pleasure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Your website is great Smemon. A great reference for myself when i do the dreaded exam in 2009. What mark did you get for your geographical investigation?

JSK 252 wrote:
    Your website is great Smemon. A great reference for myself when i do the dreaded exam in 2009. What mark did you get for your geographical investigation?

cheers. god, 2009, lets hope i'm still around by then :D

as for the geographical investigation, it's not marked seperately, it's all marked as one with the written exam in june. i got a b2 overall, so it was at least 15 out of 20.

Advertisement