Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happiness is hand-knitted socks

Options
  • 17-04-2006 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm not sure why, but there's just something so satisfying about knitting socks. Maybe it's the quick result, watching your project grow by the hour, seeing the color patterns emerge like flowers under snowmelt. Maybe it's knowing that there's nothing better than a pair of really warm socks and there's nothing warmer than handknit.

There has to be something deep about the fact that knitters will spend weeks cranking out the 34,000 stitches required of your average pair of socks. Either that or we're a special kind of crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

I've never tried to knit a pair of socks but I did just finish knitting Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh and there's a definite feeling of satisfaction (and pride) I got a kit for Christmas the year before last and because of one reason or another I only managed to finish it today. He doesn't exactly look like the one in the picture but it's great anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

can ya crochet up socks?? ive never really mastered knitting but im the woman for the crochet!

nice knee high pretty things could be nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Sure! Why couldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Li'l Irish wrote:

They do look cosy. Are you using bamboo dpns? I've knitted a few hats using metal dpns, and sometimes find myself almost dropping stitches as the metal can be a little too smooth.

There's something very calming about knitting in the round, and it looks seriously impressive to any non-knitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement