Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting shelves custom made by a carpenter

Options
  • 17-04-2006 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I've a lot of heavy books and so need good, strong shelving. However, all the shelves I see in stores are either really flimsy or else more suitable for displaying things than holding books or else supremely expensive. Has anyone tried the carpenter route for shelves? Would it work out cheaper?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I also had your problem and had a local carpenter make shelves out of ¾" Oak Veneer MDF. I remember it cost IR£80 about 5 years ago. I still use the shelves today. They are two Shelves joined at either end and the same material is used to line the wall area. i.e. there is MDF behind the books, up against the wall. I don't really know what it would cost today but a simple guesstimate now would put my own shelves now at anywhere between €150 to €200. (add another €50 to €100 if you live in Dublin/Cork etc.) It is roughly 1.5 metres long on one corner by 1metre on the opposing wall. It is a corner shelf unit. I might post a pic of it tomorrow if I am not too busy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hmmm... I really want real wood, though.

(waits for innuendo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

simu wrote:
    Hmmm... I really want real wood, though.

(waits for innuendo)

Hi
    Where are u living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Eh, Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

simu wrote:
    Eh, Cork City

He he sorry silly me
    400 euro travel time and 100 labour (joke)

• Advertisement
Advertisement