Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dot sight for shotgun

Options
  • 18-04-2006 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello,

Has anybody here tried a 'red dot sight' on a shotgun. I was going to splash out on a 42mm (front optic) sight with a rib mount (my gun has not got a Weaver mount). I mainly want the sight for night.

The prices range from the ridiculously expensive to the ridiculoulsy cheap.
    I believe the cheap ones are sh1t and wont take the abuse that recoil will
    give them.

I was looking at the Tasco (the Skoda of the sight world) 42mm X1
    I believe it is important to purchase one which is free from parallax.
    The tasco above is ok (according to the Tasco web site) for shotguns
    up to 3 inch chambers. My gun is 3.5 inch but I only ocasionly shoot 3.5
    cartridges and since its semi auto I reckon the recoil will be similarish to
    a 3 inch pump or double barrell.

Whad ya think?

CHeers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I am going to sound like a grumpy f*****r on this one but it totally goes against the grain to mount any type of sight on a shotgun.
    By their nature shotguns are 'pointed' not 'aimed'.
    If you are shooting correctly you should never even see the barrel of your shotgun, the worst thing put on a shotgun is the 'dot' or 'bead', never mind a sight. These merely focus your eye onto the gun rather than onto the target.
    Good gun fit and hand to eye co-ordination will allign the barrel to the target leaving your full concentration to be focussed on the target, lead picture and gun swing.
    Sights on shotguns?? I suppose everyone to their own, but definitely not for me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Agree with Chopper on this one.Unless you are going to be using slugs in a practical shotgun match or hunting in low light conditions,I wouldnt bother putting anything expensive on your shotgun.FWIW I have used an Armson Occulded Eye Gunsight on the combo for snap shooting.It works by you keeping both eyes open and it superimposes a red dot in your vision on the target.No batteries,it uses a tritium element and works night &day.Paid about40stg for it and does the job as well as any of the fancier models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

By their nature shotguns are 'pointed' not 'aimed'.
    If you are shooting correctly you should never even see the barrel of your shotgun, the worst thing put on a shotgun is the 'dot' or 'bead', never mind a sight. These merely focus your eye onto the gun rather than onto the target.
    Good gun fit and hand to eye co-ordination will allign the barrel to the target leaving your full concentration to be focussed on the target, lead picture and gun swing.

YES :D

Advertisement