Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lethargic, noisy 00 Corsa

Options
  • 18-04-2006 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

My dad was driving my car today and said that it's very quick to respond to the pedal at first but that the rev counter was moving faster than the speedo.

He's driven other Corsa's with the same engine (1.0 12v) and says they're much more peppy and no way as tractorish sounding as mine.

There's also a funny loud ticking sound when the engine is switched off, like the sound in movies when carnivals whirr to a stop or a bike with a pleck hitting off the spokes as it gets slower. I've never taken any notice and it lasts less than 5 seconds but is this unusual???

It's been unused for a few months, will this rectify itself now that it'll be driven on a regular basis again. The ticking is bugging me now that its been pointed out. What can I do or will it have to go to a dealer (having just been serviced last month)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Does the engine actually rev up, ie do you hear it revving, or is the rev counter incorrect or non-linear. Sounds like a slipping clutch.
    Where exactly in this "ticking" coming from, engine, dash, under the car, boot... could be anything from a heated piece of sheet steel "pinging" to some relay inder the dash... More info please.
    From the description of something in a spoke, probably is. Check if it responds to the interior air fan being on or off. Leaves in teh fan is not unknown, they pluck the fan blades.
    Or something stuck in the Rad fanshroud, or the shroud itself hiting the fan, so if in the engine, leave the car sunning and check if it matches the rotation of the radiator fan. If the fan is obstructed, it often leads to fan failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

ninty9er wrote:
    My dad was driving my car today and said that it's very quick to respond to the pedal at first but that the rev counter was moving faster than the speedo.

He's driven other Corsa's with the same engine (1.0 12v) and says they're much more peppy and no way as tractorish sounding as mine.

There's also a funny loud ticking sound when the engine is switched off, like the sound in movies when carnivals whirr to a stop or a bike with a pleck hitting off the spokes as it gets slower. I've never taken any notice and it lasts less than 5 seconds but is this unusual???

It's been unused for a few months, will this rectify itself now that it'll be driven on a regular basis again. The ticking is bugging me now that its been pointed out. What can I do or will it have to go to a dealer (having just been serviced last month)

"Tractorish" - does the car sound a bit like a diesel, and how many miles are on it? Timing chain could be on the way out, a friend of mine has an 01 corsa, chain was making the car sound like a tractor after 60k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Might not be relevant but I was talking to a garage owner I know recently when a noisy Corsa went past. He remarked that they have a problem with oil leaking from the oil sensor that usually ends up in a new engine being required.

This may be nothing to do with your problem but it's better to mention it just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thanks for the feedback.

AMurphy: the ticking is coming from under the bonnet. when opened, mor specifically it seems to be coming from just in front of the driver under the bonnet, It is not constant, just when the engine is switched off.
    The revs are going up with the counter, I'm satisfied its not the counter

Hope it's not the chain, thats pricey isn't it??

Oil sensor sounds more frightening. Yes it sound diesely when ticking over and accelerating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like the timing chain is worn so the timing is out hence lacking power.

Hows the idle?

Mike.

• Advertisement

The idle is fairly low. the gearstick shudders like a transit van's would

I bought it a few months ago off a relative in the trade so i could probably get it done. He's going to put it through the NCT in June for me, so I suppose the chain should be changed then. Otherwise how much. I know it will seem like a lot to me as a student but i suppose it's not something that has to be done very often

its at 87000 and was serviced about 12 weeks ago

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't forget that's a 3 cylinder engine, it would sound very different, and probably bad, to someone who is used to the sound of a 4 cylinder. I remember people getting into my old Charade thinking there was something wrong with it because of the sound.

It not just the sound, it's not a breathless sound but diesely. I looked under the bonnet to find out when the belt was last changed and there was no marking, I'd say i'll have to get it checked pronto

Would Opel be able to help if I emailed directly to the OPEL HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote:
    Would Opel be able to help if I emailed directly to the OPEL HQ

Why not just bring it to a mechanic?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Why not just bring it to a mechanic?

I recently bought it and have since heard of a few recurring problem themes with corsas, I would have brought it to a mechanic, but I stopped into a local Toyota dealer who had a similar car yesterday and asked if i could have the keys to start it and hear the engine.

It sounded just like mine so I think there may be no problem at all after all, but i will get it checked out as soon as i have a bit of cash in my back pocket

Advertisement