Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's funny, there plenty of crime in both Dublin and Cork, and Galway seems to have rapes every other week but Limerick gets singled out, I wonder is it just cause Limericks a pretty dull place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

amazon the amazing: totally agree with you...

i guess its just something people talk about cos theres nothing elso to talk about.

how sad :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Exactly!
    Lowest crime rate per-capita in the country, and one of the lowest in Europe!
    'nuff said!!!

Have you (or anyone) got a link to prove this? I'm not accusing you of lying, but i made a bet with a guy from work (a Dub) saying limerick had a lower crime rate per capita than other cities in Ireland and i need something to back me up!! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Now I didn't download these due to crap connection but the info you want may be here http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2004.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 curlymozzy

I'd like to laugh at your official figures..NONE of the crime in Limerick is reported because people are too scared....No one wants their tyres slashed or brick through the window people live in FEAR! Comparisons are not important any mafia style gang fare is unacceptable. STOP MAKING excuses.... My little brother had rope put across his neck by those so called harmless 10 yr olds on his way to local shop....so many instances I wont bore you with them. CRIME iis HUGE in Limerick unless you lead a sheltered life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

curlymozzy wrote:
    I'd like to laugh at your official figures..NONE of the crime in Limerick is reported because people are too scared....No one wants their tyres slashed or brick through the window people live in FEAR! Comparisons are not important any mafia style gang fare is unacceptable. STOP MAKING excuses.... My little brother had rope put across his neck by those so called harmless 10 yr olds on his way to local shop....so many instances I wont bore you with them. CRIME iis HUGE in Limerick unless you lead a sheltered life.

TXT SPK for crying out loud!

This is not feckin bebo!

Where in Limerick is this Curly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where in Limerick is this Curly?

Probably lives under a bridge. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Try not to feed them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

curlymozzy wrote:

It's funny that you should make this rant, on a day when 6 "gangland criminals" (the rte news refered to them as such not me) from Tallaght were arrested trying to rob a factory in Galway wasn't it.
    Now if that's not "gangland activity" then what is?

Stop attacking me because I point out CRIME in Limerick...ofcourse its rife all over Ireland BUT its level in Limerick is unacceptable (for people trying to live here) Those boys who raped the woman in Cratloe, were they harmless young fashion victims? Three of those boys had attacked my family previously...guards knew what they were capable of and yet did not have resources to put a halt to it. Why do you find it so difficult to acknowlege a problem...get off teh high horse...its doing Limerick no good...

p.s brother had rope around his neck on O'Connel Ave. why does it matter where? Is it acceptable in some areas BUT not others.

This is an internet forum not an academic web site I can use txt/bebo speak if I choose BUT it seems to upset the users, easily OFFENDABLE thats all I'll say.

• Advertisement

This is an internet forum not an academic web site I can use txt/bebo speak if I choose

Not when it is in breach of the charter of this forum you can't

Now back up your claim that crime in Limerick is worse than anywhere else in the country with valid statistics or I will ban you for stating opinion as fact.

You have 24 hours.

As for the five cracloe rapists, I have had dealings with two of them, however, their actions do not prove that crime levels in this city are worse than anywhere else. It is just one incident.

17 terrorists killed 3,000 people in New York, but it doesn't make it a terrorism blackspot, does it. like the above, it is also one incident that does not confirm anything statistically.

This is so frustrating.....I have not said ONCE that crime in Limerick is worse than ANYWHERE else.QUOTE ME PLEASE If you had bothered reading my posts they said that it was irrelevant. The initial disscussion forum is CRIME in Limerick NOT lets compare crime to Cork, Dub etc.

I was unaware of rules...Im a new user...apologies.

Why am I the only person asked for valid statistics and threatened. Open up your eyes and don't be scared of the truth. Limerick gets alot of good press and well deserved it is developing into a lovely city....BUT like all cities it has CRIME....petty crime that afffects its citizens everyday. Thank God we dont have many terrorists BUT we do have a city full of victims. Why accept that when we could make city so much better. You are hindering its development by not acknowleging CRIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Lads in all fairness. I have lived in Limerick now since last year I have to say that while the vast majority of people are decent folk (and great craic to boot) there is a thuggish element in a large part of the city that is far more obvious and visible than other parts of the country) all this overly defensive/aggressive denials of this does not mask the fact. Just look at the shooting of that poor lad in ard na crusha , you would not see killings like that in this country outside of west dublin. I know that people say that all the fueding and stuff only effects a tiny number of people in the city but it is all the petty stuff that you see in LImerick that is the main problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JohnnyBalls

Now back up your claim that crime in Limerick is worse than anywhere else in the country with valid statistics or I will ban you for stating opinion as fact.

You have 24 hours.

You SHOULDN'T be a mod of a DISCUSSION forum if you DONT allow people to express their opinions. Limerick has a rough element ACCPET IT and MOVE on. Don't issue ultimatums to disguise that fact. If someone wants to say they think Limerick has high crime then they are totally entitled to do so.

As for the five cracloe rapists, I have had dealings with two of them, however, their actions do not prove that crime levels in this city are worse than anywhere else. It is just one incident.
    One incident which SHOCKED the country and is rarely matched for sheer burtality and inhumanity. Sure, Dublin has it's fair share of similar ACTS but Dublin also has 1.3 million people.

Limerick has 54,000 within it's boundaries lest we forget.

bazz26 wrote:
    Probably lives under a bridge. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Try not to feed them. :)
    I OBJECT to this. If the MOD is as strict as to threaten a BAN on someone for saying Limerick has high crime rates then surely this poster should be threatened too.

I refer the board to mod Billy the Squids previous quote to Curlymozzy:

"Don't state opinion as fact or you will be BANNED. Back it up. You have 24 hours"

DITTO. :D

I don't know what city you're living in Curly and Johnny, but while there is obviously some crime in Limerick, I honestly think it's as safe as Cork or Galway, and considerably safer than Dublin. I agree with 7mountpleasant, imo knackers are more visible in Limerick, and all the problems that they bring as a consequence. However, I don't let these people bother me, I think the most of them are an annoyance but not something to get vexed about. Infact, the only time they really annoy me is when I see the affects of vandalism in Arthurs Quay Park, the Canal Bank or wherever.

Every county has it's horror stories, in Cork the du Plantier and Holohan deaths spring to mind, in Galway the murder of the old man (who was tied to a chair and left to die iirc) are uneqivocally shocking but hardly integral to either counties image.

Btw 7mountpleasant, Im not sure if you heard but drugs "wars" in Cork have lead to such execution style kilings in Cork, one earlier this year (iirc), it does happen outside Limerick and West Dublin.

So if we all agree that crime happens everywhere, why does Limerick have a particulary bad rep? What can done to stop such crime happening (in a Limerick context)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Don't you all rotating already by turning away your faces from the heavy crime here in this town? Is there somewhere a place to look for not seeing the crime?

Does it makes the crimes in Limerick less worth (or more little) just by comparing the numbers of corpses with the ones in Cork or Limerick?

BTW: this banning - thing is ridiculous.

IB

I dunno Inge, perhaps I'm just oblivious but I really think Limerick is safe but dull.

Maybe this is all so normal for Limerick that the only reaction is "Leave me alone! Limerick is not that bad. Look at Cork, look at Galway and look at Dublin! They have crime as well!". Pointing to my neighbours doesn't make me better!

Or is it fear? Fear makes those feckers strong. Fear is (almost) ruling this town. People have fear. Why does everybody who becomes a witness in court gets suddenly heavy amnesia??? Why does nobody call the cops if those feckers smash peoples windows? I've lived behind St. Munchins - I know what i'm talking about and how houses look like after you call the gardai because those feckers try to stab the tyres of your car. My neighbours showed me a nice lovely gunhole in their window.

Is it a kind of self-protection to put a blind eye on it? If I don't see them they don't see me.

IB
    do I get banned now?

• Advertisement

Wow, my life in Limerick is nothing like that. In fact, (and it might just be my group of friends) but none of my mates have any experiences like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

limerick really is almost a tale of two cities, there are parts of limerick that are oblivious to the depth of the crime in the city and parts of it completely swallowed up by it. When I was an undergrad student I knew there were problems but didn't see too much dodgy stuff apart from the obvious higher level of scumbags here than anywhere else (including Dublin). After college I worked as a security guard in town before I started my postgrad. And my eyes were opened. there is a serious problem of crime in limerick and its not getting better. Its not just the very serious crime to all the things that criminals get away. We had many suspects that we caught shoplifting, sometimes with hundreds of euros of stuff from other shops at the same time. They were hauled off by the Gardai and were out on the streets in hours.
    Limerick is more a big town than a city and it seems to me that the level of crime in the city is totally out of balance with the rest of the country.

Wow, my life in Limerick is nothing like that. In fact, (and it might just be my group of friends) but none of my mates have any experiences like that.

Not yet. Fate will knock on your door some day as well :D;)

Or you just live enough far away from the suspected areas. If you live a Clancys Strand then you are on the route of the scumbags coming from a particular part of town on their way to city centre. Know a few people from Clancys Strand who eventually moved because the mirrors of their cars were broken or the cars had scratches or the windows were smashed to get the radio. Just spend an afternoon and evening on the terrace of the Curragower Bar and watch what kind of people mainly is on the pavement...
    5uspect wrote:
    it seems to me that the level of crime in the city is totally out of balance with the rest of the country.

We agreed earlier here that the amount of scumbags you see in town is quite amazing high then in other towns.

IB

@curlymozzy

you only need one account to post here I have banned the other one.
    I OBJECT to this. If the MOD is as strict as to threaten a BAN on someone for saying Limerick has high crime rates then surely this poster should be threatened too.

He is not being threatened for making the claim, rather failing to back it up with evidence.

Okay, this is gonna take a while!
    Firstly let me just say that, seeing as ye are mostly new here, the more regular people in this forum are big fans of backing things up with facts.
    We get annoyed because every few months, somebody comes in and starts reporting oppinions as fact, and it just getstiering, so youshould always make the definition clear(just for future reference;))
    curlymozzy wrote:
    Stop attacking me because I point out CRIME in Limerick...ofcourse its rife all over Ireland BUT its level in Limerick is unacceptable (for people trying to live here) Those boys who raped the woman in Cratloe, were they harmless young fashion victims? Three of those boys had attacked my family previously...guards knew what they were capable of and yet did not have resources to put a halt to it. Why do you .

The level of crime in Limerick is no higher than any other city in Ireland (fact)
    In fact the crime rate in Limerick has been dropping at a much higher rate than any of the other cities(fact, check the garda stats on the previous page)
    Also, the Garda detection rate in Limerick is the best in the country(fact).
    Just look at the shooting of that poor lad in ard na crusha , you would not see killings like that in this country outside of west dublin.

As was pointed out to you there is a large gangland undercurrent in Cork as well, but people need to understand that this is not just a problem in Limerick, it's not even a problem in just the Irish cities.
    Less than two years ago, a man was shot, at pointblank range, while he sat in his car, in broad daylight in the middle of sligo town!(fact)
    this was a "gang related killing," and no disrespect to sligo, but it is hardly a bustling metropolis.
    One incident which SHOCKED the country and is rarely matched for sheer burtality and inhumanity. Sure, Dublin has it's fair share of similar ACTS but Dublin also has 1.3 million people.

Limerick has 54,000 within it's boundaries lest we forget.

If you want to get pedantic about populations then Dublin city has a population of around 450,000 "within it's boundaries lest we forget," not 1.3 million.(fact)
    Inge Binge wrote:
    Does it makes the crimes in Limerick less worth (or more little) just by comparing the numbers of corpses with the ones in Cork or Limerick?
    Inge Binge wrote:
    Maybe this is all so normal for Limerick that the only reaction is "Leave me alone! Limerick is not that bad. Look at Cork, look at Galway and look at Dublin! They have crime as well!". Pointing to my neighbours doesn't make me better!

The problem that most Limerick people have is a feeling of victimisation by the national media.
    There is a disproportionate amount of bad media towards Limerick that isn't deserved.
    Galway has a higher rate of crime, and the highest number of rapes in the country.(fact) Most of Ireland's drugs come into the country through Cork. (fact) Almost half of all crime in Ireland is in the greater Dublin area. (fact) It's not that we are trying to pass the buck, it's that we are tired of having the buck passed to us.
    5uspect wrote:
    Limerick is more a big town than a city and it seems to me that the level of crime in the city is totally out of balance with the rest of the country.

First off, no Limerick isn't a "big town", and secondly, I'm sure that you're opinion is important to you, but the facts state otherwise.

Sorry about the long message, but I was off enjoying Liverpool becoming FA Cup champions, and had a lot of catching up to do.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Last years figures are here.
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2005.html

These figures are stunning, I knew Limerick's image was badly distorted compared to national crime figures, but I couldn't have imagined by how much. And I'd never in a million years have guessed that THE most crime ridden area of the country, per head of population, was Dublin South Central. Do you know how much property costs there?

I thought I'd stick in a few of the main points for those who wouldn't be bothered to download or read through it.

Headline Offences 2005 (these are the biggies, like murder, rape, armed robbery, assault and burglary) per 1000 of population.

Dublin Total; 44,991. Cork Total; 9162. Limerick; 5,717.

Dublin has more than seven and a half times the crime of Limerick per capita. The worst area is Dublin South Central with 9,643. 44% of these crimes happen in Dublin, the southern region which includes Limerick and Cork, as well as Kerry accounts for 16%.

Still not convinced? Lets break it down.

Murder

Dublin Total; 27. Cork Total; 3. Limerick; 1.

Per 100,000 people;

Dublin Total; 2.35. Cork Total; 0.66. Limerick; 0.56.

Of these figures 3 murder victims were women, all were killed in Dublin. Dublin had more than 4 times the murder rate of Limerick last year. The highest murder rate in the country is in Dublin South Central, with 6.81 per 100k. This accounted for 7 murders, including 2 women, the most murders (10) actually took place in Dublin Western.

Rape and Sexual Assault, per 1k population.

Dublin Total; R; 0.12 / SA; 0.30. Cork Total; R; 0.09 / SA; 0.19. Limerick; R; 0.10 / SA; 0.21.

The worst area in the country for rape was Donegal, per capita and in amount, with .28 and 38 rapes. It was the same for sexual assault with 0.72 per capita and 99 actual. It needs to be said that these are the reported figures. It is estimated that less than one third of rapes are reported to the gardaí.

Robbery & Aggravated Burglary, with Firearms

Dublin Total; 228. Cork Total; 10. Limerick; 19.

per 1k population

Dublin Total; 0.2. Cork Total; 0.02. Limerick; 0.11.

The worst area for these crimes is Dublin North Central with .49 per 1000 people. The highest amount however is Dublin Western with 52 actual. Dublin accounts for 65%, the Southern Region for 8%

Right I could go on, but I'm suffering from insomnia and I'm very tired. The reason I didn't include Galway is because Galway is split into Galway West and Roscommon/Galway East, so it just wasn't possible. It is not a slight against the city and county:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, visibility is a problem here, people hanging around looking tough with nothing to do so for fun they make life more difficult for others.
    I think this will stay the same until the council put in place proper entertainment for youths in the city, DeadBattery Entertainments is currenlty looking for submissions on a plan to be petitioned and presented to the council, email me at john.:AT:.deadbattery.: DOT:.net if you have any thoughts or comments!

As well as that I see kids (as young as six) the whole time without parental subervision getting a bus from the city centre out the the crescent and then letting them roam around the city and SC in areas they are not used to. I know as a child i spent more time with parents then with friends, you see how to respect and be sociable... whereas these kids usually are rude and up to no good! I wont let my little child wonder around without some adult subervision except in a local green or playarea!
    Its strange but i beleive if there was a higher fear of kidnapping in the city, future generations may grow to be.... more focused on good rather then wrong doings! PS, i'm not saying go and do some high profile kidnappings!!!

But yeah... I'm so proud of this city, I have never seen or been involved or anything with crime in Limerick! And I think if we have affordable mixed entertainment for youths in the city as well as local areas, which are maintained regularaly, I think the city may seem that little bit more great!

iguana wrote:
    Last years figures are here.
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2004.html

These figures are stunning, I knew Limerick's image was badly distorted compared to national crime figures, but I couldn't have imagined by how much. And I'd never in a million years have guessed that THE most crime ridden area of the country, per head of population, was Dublin South Central. Do you know how much property costs there?

I thought I'd stick in a few of the main points for those who wouldn't be bothered to download or read through it.

Headline Offences 2005 (these are the biggies, like murder, rape, armed robbery, assault and burglary) per 1000 of population.

Dublin Total; 44,991. Cork Total; 9162. Limerick; 5,717.

Dublin has more than seven and a half times the crime of Limerick per capita. The worst area is Dublin South Central with 9,643. 44% of these crimes happen in Dublin, the southern region which includes Limerick and Cork, as well as Kerry accounts for 16%.

Still not convinced? Lets break it down.

Murder

Dublin Total; 27. Cork Total; 3. Limerick; 1.

Per 100,000 people;

Dublin Total; 2.35. Cork Total; 0.66. Limerick; 0.56.

Of these figures 3 murder victims were women, all were killed in Dublin. Dublin had more than 4 times the murder rate of Limerick last year. The highest murder rate in the country is in Dublin South Central, with 6.81 per 100k. This accounted for 7 murders, including 2 women, the most murders (10) actually took place in Dublin Western.

Rape and Sexual Assault, per 1k population.

Dublin Total; R; 0.12 / SA; 0.30. Cork Total; R; 0.09 / SA; 0.19. Limerick; R; 0.10 / SA; 0.21.

The worst area in the country for rape was Donegal, per capita and in amount, with .28 and 38 rapes. It was the same for sexual assault with 0.72 per capita and 99 actual. It needs to be said that these are the reported figures. It is estimated that less than one third of rapes are reported to the gardaí.

Robbery & Aggravated Burglary, with Firearms

Dublin Total; 228. Cork Total; 10. Limerick; 19.

per 1k population

Dublin Total; 0.2. Cork Total; 0.02. Limerick; 0.11.

The worst area for these crimes is Dublin North Central with .49 per 1000 people. The highest amount however is Dublin Western with 52 actual. Dublin accounts for 65%, the Southern Region for 8%

Right I could go on, but I'm suffering from insomnia and I'm very tired. The reason I didn't include Galway is because Galway is split into Galway West and Roscommon/Galway East, so it just wasn't possible. It is not a slight against the city and county:).

By the way, the Limerick district, includes all of County Clare aswell, so those aren't just Limerick crimes.

Oh, and Curlymozzy, 7mountpleasant, JohnnyBalls, Inge Binge, and 5uspect,...... You just got served!:D

now we have the reported numbers. what does it change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

okay so it is clear that serious crime is lower in Limerick than other cities in Ireland (Karma I wasn't saying the Limerick is a big town just that it feels like a big town rather than a typical european city but granted its improving, its just my opinion)
    So why do I feel less safe in Limerick than I do in Dublin and Waterford? I've lived in Dublin for a year and Waterford for around 6 months compared to 5 years here in Limerick.
    I think the comments about the compact size of Limerick city centre and the relative dullness of Limerick are probably the reasons why I feel so uncomfortable when I see so many scumbags about. I know there are just as many if not more "heads" in other cities but they're too close for comfort here.
    Denying that Limerick has a crime problem is obviously false and it seems that it isn't as bad I think it is. I hope this is the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement