Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Now on the atmosphere in the city centre, I honestly beleive that until we get rid of the main Ennis/Galway road running through the centre of town the city centre will always be dirty, noisy and unpleasant. A huge number of vehicles pass through town every day simply becuase there is no other major bridging point this at this point on the Shannon. Grafton, Shop, and most of Patrick st (in Dublin, Galway and Cork) have been pedestrinaised and they've all been improved hugely becuase of it. O'Connell street should not be part of a major national route, and yet, becuase we can't build proper infrastructure in this country, it is.

Well they are starting on the Shannon tunnel next year, and the final piece of the Limerick bypass should be in place by the time that's finished (probably in 2027!:D ).
    As for the pedestrianisation, they are starting that, with the likes of the Breathe Project down off Bedford row.
    They are also plans to build three new parks, recreational areas, in the city outskirts.
    Hopefully that will keep some of the less savory element out of the city center 7 days a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Well being from Germany, you may not have grown up with this (P.S. this is not an excuse).

Well, I just want to make it clear here: I'm not doing this "In my country everything is better. In my country we do it in this or that way!" - thing, ok?! :) Otherwise I wouldn't be here... ;)

I just quoted a german quote :)

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah Germany is class, but in my opinion really boring. Theres strick boundaries and people respect them, everything is so standardised and correct... everyday where i was everyone followed the same routine, nah.. I'm not into thuggery or vandilism or anyother crime related issue, but everything is just o much more exciting here...

Inge Binge wrote:
    Well, I just want to make it clear here: I'm not doing this "In my country everything is better. In my country we do it in this or that way!" - thing, ok?! :) Otherwise I wouldn't be here... ;)

I just quoted a german quote :)

IB

:D

Don't worry I know what you were saying (that's a good expression by the way, I might use it next time I'm talking to some Leinster or Chelsea supporters!:D ).
    It's just that I can see why you'd view things as you do, due to a different social background.

Unfortunately in Ireland, we tend to use a different expression, "boys will be boys," too much.

It's just that I can see why you'd view things as you do, due to a different social background.

What social background do you mean? A crime-free germany? In your dreams ;):D

Maybe it's not that blatant as it is here (did I ever heared about door shootings or drive-by shootings at home? I don't think so...). I mean - there are gang wars going on as well - in big cities like Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich. It's all about drugs and prostitution. But this are cities with millions of citicens and not small towns like Limerick...

But having this so concentrated in a small town like Limerick (I know, I'm getting lapitated for calling the best large city in the best ireland of the world a town :D ) makes me feel a bit unpleasant...

What I don't understand is how people are coming to this behaviour. Living in a "disadvantaged" area makes people automatically murderers? Being unempleyed makes people automatically rowdies? Being bored makes people automatically drug dealers? I've been more then one time in my life unempleyed but i never was shooting people. I lived a few times with very little mony but this didn't make me bullying.

I can understand people that steal bread in TESCO for eat if they don't have money but i cant understand if those people are becoming scumbags because of not going to work (this applies for all countries btw).
    Yeah Germany is class, but in my opinion really boring. Theres strick boundaries and people respect them, everything is so standardised and correct... everyday where i was everyone followed the same routine, nah.. I'm not into thuggery or vandilism or anyother crime related issue, but everything is just o much more exciting here...

Oh yes. Especially the "rules of the road"... I call it really exciting here! But thats another discussion! :D;)

IB

• Advertisement

Inge Binge wrote:
    What social background do you mean? A crime-free germany? In your dreams ;):D

Maybe it's not that blatant as it is here (did I ever heared about door shootings or drive-by shootings at home? I don't think so...). I mean - there are gang wars going on as well - in big cities like Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich. It's all about drugs and prostitution. But this are cities with millions of citicens and not small towns like Limerick...

But having this so concentrated in a small town like Limerick (I know, I'm getting lapitated for calling the best large city in the best ireland of the world a town :D ) makes me feel a bit unpleasant...

What I don't understand is how people are coming to this behaviour. Living in a "disadvantaged" area makes people automatically murderers? Being unempleyed makes people automatically rowdies? Being bored makes people automatically drug dealers? I've been more then one time in my life unempleyed but i never was shooting people. I lived a few times with very little mony but this didn't make me bullying.

I can understand people that steal bread in TESCO for eat if they don't have money but i cant understand if those people are becoming scumbags because of not going to work (this applies for all countries btw).

The real problem in Ireland is attitude.
    Most of the people living in these "disadvantaged" areas, are no worse than you or me. They're just average people trying to get on with their lives.
    Unfortunately, a few are the complete opposite.
    I don't know if you know this Inge, but the real scuts, have to pay for next to nothing. They're given houses by the government, and they just wreck them, knowing that the government will just fix them up, or get them a new one.
    They have no sense of responsibility because of this.
    I don't know if you've spent any prolonged periods of time in other cities or towns in Ireland, but it's the same everywhere.
    Some places are just filled with the kind of crime, and disregard that you mentioned.
    A lot of people that post here, seem to think that those of us who defend Limerick are ignoring this. That's not true. All we're doing is objecting to being unfairly singled out, when in fact Limerick has less crime than the other 3 big cities in Ireland.
    It gets a bit frustrating, when people I know from other parts of Ireland refuse to even visit Limerick, cause of the undeserved reputation the media has pasted us with.
    People in the rest of the country treat us differently 'cause we're from Limerick. I remember this big scumbag was trying to start a fight with me up in Galway about a year ago (this guy was massive, and would have killed me in a fight!), but as soon as he heard I was from Limerick, he just backed off!
    For once I was glad of Limericks reputation! ;)
    Anyway I know that Limerick can be amazing place, and I just wish that others would give it a chance, rather than fall back on the same old tired denunciations, that have been proved wrong time and time again.

regarding to "the whole nation is against us" - WHY? Is it a big conspiracy?

I know that something severely happened 3 years ago in front of supermacs in caherdavin. coming from a city with 200.000 inhabitants and living before in zurich and some other places in germany I arrived in september 2003 and decided then after 2 weeks in shannon (no comment :p ) to move to ennis (boooring :eek: ) and after 5 month ennis i moved to limerick (because all the colleagues and friends were living here in the bigger town). now i'm here for 2 years. I've seen here a few things in town centre that i might expect somewhere else to happen in the remote suburbs... In O'Connel St, at Harveys Quai, Cruises St and in Catherine St.

Is it this that sticks to Limerick what happened 3 years ago or is it more? I don't know much about Limericks reputation before this happened...

IB

Back in the 80's Limerick and Cork were both given bad reputations by the national media.
    This eventually went away in both cities until about 3 years ago in Limerick.
    That incident you mentioned was part of a much larger series of events between two criminal families in Limerick.
    While the day to day effect was non-existent, there were a few murders which caught the national attention.
    It was the first time in Ireland that fighting between two criminal families had gone so far.
    The national media jumped on this and made it out to be worse than it actually was.
    The crime stats every year prove that Limerick has the least crime, but every time something happens in Limerick, the media jumps on it.
    Since the spate of incidents 3 years ago, there has only been three murders in Limerick, which is amazing when you think about it (only one murder per year in a city with a greater population of around 100,000!).
    Up in Dublin however, there have been around 60 murders in the same time frame, almost half of these are gangland murders (none of the murders in Limerick were considered gang related).
    What it boils down to is, that Dublin wants a scapegoat to take the heat off of its own crime problems, but it's getting to the stage where Limerick and Dublin can't be comparable.
    Almost half (46% I think) of the crime in Ireland takes place in Dublin.
    There is 7 1/2 times more crime in Dublin per capita than Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Limerick is cool stop all the hate!

ricey wrote:
    Limerick is cool stop all the hate!

yeah, sure... cool... :rolleyes:

IB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

...The ignorant statement that a lot of people make, is that their are more of them in Limerick, than there are elsewhere, and that's not true....

I'd say the reason people perceive that there is more anti-social behaviour/crime in Limerick than say in Dublin/Cork is because of Limerick's smaller size relative to those bigger places - everyone, anti-social behaviour offender or law-abiding Joe Soap are concentrated in the same relatively small city centre so the anti-social behaviour is much more visible. Is this a good thing? Not really, as amazotheamazing pointed out, this creates a bad atmosphere in the city centre. But is a completely segregated society to be preferred, such as in somewhere like Paris, where the kind of people from the suburbs that were rioting last November are hardly ever likely to come into contact with the middle-classes of the more affluent parts of the city? Definitely not, in my opinion. I don't know what the solution is.
    Inge Binge wrote:
    In Germany we have an expression: "Put them all in a bag, hit this bag with a bludgeon and you always get the right one"

I like that one, but unfortunately/fortunately in Ireland (and in Germany) we have this thing called due process, so strategies like that are hard to put into practice.
    Taking both separately, anti-social behaviour can, and is being tackled, especially by cctv in the city centre.This doesn't solve the problem but it restrains it somewhat.

I'm afraid that's the problem - in cities in the UK where they installed extensive CCTV all that happens is the anti-social behaviour moves to just slightly outside the city centre. Agreed that if it prevents anti-social behavior within the city centre that's probably a Good Thing, so just as long as people remember to avoid those areas just outside the town center they should be grand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ra's_al_Ghul

krudler wrote:
    main problem in this city and country is that the police,or "guards" are a joke,they mostly all from the arse end of the country and think that pulling over a few motorists a week for minor offences is what being a cop is all about,not stopping real crime,god no what would they want to do that for?

are you spoofing?cops in this city do more work than any other place.it's just they don't bitch about it.They keep people like you shielded from the more criminal elements.And in case your irish isn't good, they are "protectors of the peace".most things are dealt with by them.they take the heat so "blind" people like you don'y have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Limericker

are you spoofing?cops in this city do more work than any other place.it's just they don't bitch about it.They keep people like you shielded from the more criminal elements.And in case your irish isn't good, they are "protectors of the peace".most things are dealt with by them.they take the heat so "blind" people like you don'y have to.
    ^^^^:mad: p10nk8r

What world are you living in,

30% desent garda's in Limerick city
    70% the rest are scum

The gardas only pick on the innocent people from areas like Garryowen, Moyross, Southill, Tomondagate & Weston.

People shoud stop judging them for what the are wearing, like 'hoodies' & 'tracksuits'(Im on about scumbags, skobies, chavs & pakies as plp call tham) "never judge a book by is cover" as the sayying go's.

And Im NOT sayying there isint any scumbags in Limerick.

How said Limerick is not a safe place's, some areas on the southside you would see OAP on street corners talking up to one o' clock in the morning during the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

[QUOTE=Limericker

some areas on the southside you would see OAP on street corners talking up to one o' clock in the morning during the summer months.[/QUOTE]

O'Curry Street? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Limericker wrote:

70% the rest are scum

The gardas only pick on the innocent people from areas like Garryowen, Moyross, Southill, Tomondagate & Weston.

People shoud stop judging them for what the are wearing, like 'hoodies' & 'tracksuits'(Im on about scumbags, skobies, chavs & pakies as plp call tham) "never judge a book by is cover" as the sayying go's.

How said Limerick is not a safe place's, some areas on the southside you would see OAP on street corners talking up to one o' clock in the morning during the summer months.

Thats right... fight the powah!
    What crap, they dont pick on 'innocent' people.
    If they get a report that something has happened in an area they will investigate, if whoever reported it described 'hoodies' as the perpetrators then they are going to check out anyone wandering the area in hoodies.
    Dont stress about it, they are not doing it to repress you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ra's_al_Ghul

in the heat of the moment->
    Limereker,you are actually an idiot.lemme guess,you're a 16 yr old who is angry with the world.i'm also gonna paint a picture for you.you're the kind of person who constantly wants to impress the knackers??and i call them knackers cos that's all they are..sure, they have no amenities in their area but very few places do.isn't it also amazing that loads of kids from other areas can go into the city center and not act like scum trying to look tough and intimidate people?

further, the cops have to put up with a lot of **** from IDIOTS like you who don't seem to yet know how the world turns.and in this city, they keep the peace.when you get a little older, you'll soon see that the world isn't black and white.you think they hassle people from areas.they get calls-they follow them up.it's not too hard to understand.

I'll finish by saying that I think (my opinion) that you are a f***ing idiot and it's fools like you who stop this city progressing.

you jackass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I think curlymozzy when writing was expressing his/her opinion
    "that NONE of the crime in Limerick is reported because people are too scared".

I think most people when posting on boards are writing their opinions
    rather than blatantly trying to tell people what they write are
    cold hard facts.

You got 24 hrs Or else Malarkey if you don’t provide evidence
    makes me sick this is not a bloody court of law its a board.
    People should not feel intimidated by mods or other board members
    when they write in here, I think we as members should be able
    to express ourselves without having to prove everything we write
    about or watch every word we type in case we get banned for something
    that may be trivial.
    I also don’t think that I have to or need to put "its my opinion"
    before I write EVERYthing here its Overkill.

As long as someone is not deliberately trying to
    cause someone offence or intentionally breaking this board charter/rules
    I don’t think they should be a given a threat or ultimatum of being banned.
    Way too harsh and not very nice for the atmosphere of the board for
    the other members.

Veering way too off topic so will get back on topic:
    I don’t like and wont rely on pure statistics to determine that Limerick has lower crime than other counties .
    I simply find it difficult believe these statistics and wonder
    how accurate they are.

The Statistics wont show the unreported crime where people have
    been intimidated or were in fear to do anything about it.
    or they may not show the history of an area or its reputation etc.
    Its very hard to show statistics on fear, emotions etc.

While un-reported crime, fear and intimidation may well exist everywhere
    else to may-be balancing the statistics out on paper you gotta remember
    that Limerick is a small place.

I reckon myself that with Someplace Like Limerick people are more likely
    to know someone who knows someone...etc...etc.....more so than in
    a larger built up area like Dublin.

Here you may have a few gangs where a lot of the general public may know
    the family names of the main criminals per area and what they look like and their intimidation factor may effect more people per living area than a larger city.

If you put the same gangs up in Dublin the same few gangs my not be generally known to the public by family name or appearance
    as there are way more people and more living area and their intimidation
    factor per area of the place may not be as strong.

Speaking of Crime, I was feeding some Kittens last night in my back garden
    when some dudes ran through my garden and nearly trampled all over them then hopped over a wall. A second or two later a guard with a flash light ran past hopped the wall and eventually nabbed one of the guys. They told me the were breaking to houses in the area. Was pretty cool to see the Garda in action and made a pleasent change. A bit worrying was that the Guard
    was more interested in me giving a statement what the dude was trespassing
    on my property than the fact that he was running away after an attempted
    break in. It made me think they may not be able to get the dude prosacuted
    with burglery but they may be able to do him for trespassing.

Instantly after the Guard asked if I had any problems with pressing charges
    for tresspassing I thought the Dude just ran through my garden trying to get away!! and I started thinking mmmm Dont want the arrested ""suspect"" to get a good look at my face in case he is pis*ed and comes back to my house once he gets out of the nick.

Instant indimatation from a complete stranger.
    Instantly thought Limerick is waaaayyyyy too small. I could see the dude
    walking down the steet one saturday afternoon.

I know the likelyhood of that happening was small but its still a factor.
    I can only imagine what it would be like for a witness to a more serious crime
    in Limerick.

~B

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

bullets wrote:
    Instant indimatation from a complete stranger.
    Instantly thought Limerick is waaaayyyyy too small. I could see the dude
    walking down the steet one saturday afternoon.

I know the likelyhood of that happening was small but its still a factor.
    I can only imagine what it would be like for a witness to a more serious crime
    in Limerick.

~B

Its much too small, I worked as a shop security guard one summer in Limerick, I've seen some of the scum we caught shoplifting and had hauled away on the street a few times. Fortunately they were putting so much concentration into their hard man walks that they didn't recognise me.

5uspect wrote:
    Its much too small, I worked as a shop security guard one summer in Limerick,

Always wondered what problems security guards may have as your face
    would be well know from people going in/out of the shop everyday,
    so If you would nab or have involvement in catching some peeps for something
    I would assume there would be lots of verbal abuse threats etc most of which
    could be ignored but not forgotten.

~B

bullets wrote:

Remember Brian Fitzgerald, a doorman of Doc's nightclub? Shot at night in front of his house because he refused to let drugdealers into the club...

IB

• Advertisement

I had a guy called Brian Fitz who was a buddy of mine who
    rented a room from me. When that story came out on the news
    and I had not seen him in a few days I got a bit worried.

Same bloke had a car stop in front of him one evening and had a shotgun pointed at him from some knackers. They thought he was a different Brian Fitz that they were looking for. It amazed him that they knew his name or where to find him
    and that they would have had such a case of mistaken idenity.

Same buddy had a way of exagerating the truth so how much
    of the story was actually true I dont know...but it was weird at the time.

~B

bullets wrote:
    I had a guy called Brian Fitz who was a buddy of mine who
    rented a room from me. When that story came out on the news
    and I had not seen him in a few days I got a bit worried.

Same bloke had a car stop in front of him one evening and had a shotgun pointed at him from some knackers. They thought he was a different Brian Fitz that they were looking for. It amazed him that they knew his name or where to find him
    and that they would have had such a case of mistaken idenity.

Same buddy had a way of exagerating the truth so how much
    of the story was actually true I dont know...but it was weird at the time.

~B

:D I was thinking the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Limericker wrote:

70% the rest are scum

Banned. Insulting other users is not tolerated here. come back when you've grown up.

in the heat of the moment->
    Limereker,you are actually an idiot.lemme guess,you're a 16 yr old who is angry with the world.i'm also gonna paint a picture for you.you're the kind of person who constantly wants to impress the knackers??and i call them knackers cos that's all they are..sure, they have no amenities in their area but very few places do.isn't it also amazing that loads of kids from other areas can go into the city center and not act like scum trying to look tough and intimidate people?

further, the cops have to put up with a lot of **** from IDIOTS like you who don't seem to yet know how the world turns.and in this city, they keep the peace.when you get a little older, you'll soon see that the world isn't black and white.you think they hassle people from areas.they get calls-they follow them up.it's not too hard to understand.

I'll finish by saying that I think (my opinion) that you are a f***ing idiot and it's fools like you who stop this city progressing.

you jackass

Another post like that and you will be joining Limericker on the banned list. be a good little boy/girl and calm yourself down.

must be nice to play forum pope - keeper of the ultimate truth, moral and the right view of things.

IB, ready for the stake

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

bullets wrote:
    would be well know from people going in/out of the shop everyday,
    so If you would nab or have involvement in catching some peeps for something
    I would assume there would be lots of verbal abuse threats etc most of which
    could be ignored but not forgotten.

Yeah some of the long term security guards were well known. But it gets to the point where the shoplifters almost see it as their career and they don't really worry about getting caught. Its just a bad day in work for them and they don't seem too bothered. Its a differnet story with Docs and the drug dealers tho, some scummy skank with light fingers is hardly going to do much more than spit in your face and hurl abuse.

Inge Binge wrote:
    must be nice to play forum pope - keeper of the ultimate truth, moral and the right view of things.

IB, ready for the stake[/QUOTE

Inga, the user was banned for calling another user names, not very nice names at that. Now you have three choices.

If you have a problem with me banning someone you can a) Take it up in PM with me
    B) Take it to feedback or
    C) leave the moderating to the moderators and get on with the discussion.

Now stay on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

My experience of the gardai in Limerick has been mostly... lol... well I don't know how to describe it - because for all the world they're invisible, especially at night on the weekends.

Maybe they're out solving "real" crime, and neglecting what's happening in the city - oh, fair enough patrol O'Connell Street at 03:00 on Sunday morning, but what about Henry Street - no lights, far more dangerous to walk down than O'Connell Street, and the barracks is just down the street.

During the day, the gardai in Limerick are doing a great job, they are very visible, but at night, they vanish (in my opinion) - in the constituency of the Minster of Defense this is laughable...

I see sometimes a Gardai car at saturday night in Cruises St between McDonalds and HMV. So I'd say they are present.

IB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have lived here 6 years. I got out almost every weekend.

I have NEVER seen a Gardai car while out. EVER.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement