Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water piping

Options
  • 18-04-2006 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Ok, have decided that the best course of action to fix the leaking lead piping I have running from mains into my house is to replace the piping.

The council have said they'll replace the stopcock/watertap end of things, out on the street, and all I have to do is have a plumber connect my piping to their new piping.

At the moment my piping is lead, which obviously needs to be replaced. So I'm thinking of doing the following:

Digging a trench up the garden, 'punching' a small tunnel underneath the driveway/path (about 2ft wide conctrete path, easier to go under then hack it up and re-lay the concrete ). Drilling a hole into the house beside where the ESB and gas come in (this is the best/easiest place to get into the house) and then run the pipe through and connect to the copper piping that rises from the old lead piping.

Questions:

1) Does any of the previous seem too difficult for an amateur DIY'er?

2) What type of water piping is actually used and is it expensive?

3) Anything else any experts/those in the know can think to mention to someone undertaking a job like the above?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

If you dig under the path instead of breaking it out and re-laying, it's fairly likely that the path will settle and crack up after the work is finished. You'll never be able to adequately compact the fill that you replace the hole with. I don't think that the Council will accept this method of work, if they know what you intend. Not the safest either. Best of luck to you, anyway. Just be aware that you may have to re-lay a portion of the footpath anyway. If someone trips over a large crack in the footpath next year, you may regret your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Breezzzzze wrote:
    If you dig under the path instead of breaking it out and re-laying, it's fairly likely that the path will settle and crack up after the work is finished. You'll never be able to adequately compact the fill that you replace the hole with. I don't think that the Council will accept this method of work, if they know what you intend. Not the safest either. Best of luck to you, anyway. Just be aware that you may have to re-lay a portion of the footpath anyway. If someone trips over a large crack in the footpath next year, you may regret your decision.

I know what you mean, in theory it would weaken the concrete if I hollow out underneath it. However, you'd have to see the place where I'm going to attempt to do it to see that I don't think this will lead to cracking. It's right beside my front doorstep and so has minimal traffic, in fact 99% people instictively step over the area, as you prepare to step up onto the doorstep.

Of course whether the council see it that way is a different matter. not sure I can do the whole 'smash and relay the concrete option', I mean DIY-wise, I'm not sure it's something I'd be ok with doing.

Advertisement