Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on graphics card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well any AGP graphics card will work are you looking for something cheap, mid-range or top of the line ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Stanley_Blade

I'm looking for mid to high range.

See I had a 128mb card a while back, I can't remember the spec off hand but it didn't work correctly.

It worked fine with emulators and the hand full of pc games I have. It didn't work with the dvd drive, the picture was terrible. The drivers were installed and all was cool. I think I slowed down the hardware acceleration and then it worked however then my pci tv card didn't work.

Anyway I'm sure I'll sort it out if it happens again, I didn't give it much effort last time.

Right well these are probably the best choices for that price point;

6800GS €250
    6600GT €142
    X1600 Pro €136

The 6800GS is the most powerful of the three though the 6600GT is a decent performer in it's own right, the X1600 Pro brings up the rear.

As for DVD picture quality both ATI & NVIDIA have very good DVD decoders which do a better job on image quality then most DVD players. NVIDIA's is called Purevideo and must be purchased seperately and ATI's is called AVIVO but comes free with the card.

Both are comparable to each other in terms of image quality unless you have an eagle eye if so then ATI's takes the edge by a small margin.

You need Win2K/XP for this & to play your DVD's Windows Media Player or another Directshow based player is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Stanley_Blade

Cheers man, thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

You could buy this 6800 and try to unlock it to GT levels using rivtuner, good card for the price.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3VK6&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,377090000&v=3#infoarea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sacer

considering the 6800Gs is 250 why not spend 50 more and get this 7800GS
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=317794
    not that i am an expert. just thinking its a better deal

If you don't play games above 1280x1024 then you wont see any major difference with the 7800GS over the 6800GS.

The GF7 7800GS is unfortunately a pretty weak graphics card for the AGP version compared to it's GF7 PCI-E brethren only the highly overclocked versions are worth it which cost even more.

Advertisement