Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service Intervals

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I have a peugeot 307 1.4 hdi (I know you guys arent fans of peugeot, but I really like my car so far and havent had any trouble). I recently got it serviced at my local peugeot dealer. This was my first service to give it since buying it. When I got the car back there was a sticker on the windscreen saying the next service was due in 5,000 miles time.

I thought this was a very short interval, so I looked up the service manual for the car and it recommends servicing the car every 12000 miles (maximum).

So who should I believe?? The manual or the local dealer (or stealer)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd check with the dealer - perhaps there is some part due to be replaced at that point outside the usual service intervals? If not, they're just chancing their arm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This sounds like main stealer pr1ckery. Stealers play on people's fear about service intervals being too long. So then you get them telling the customer that it'd be wise to revise downwards the service intervals and revise upwards the spec (and price) of the oil needed.

AFAIK dealers make most of their profits from servicing, not from selling cars so is it any wonder they want to do as much servicing as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I asked the dealer about it, and they told me that they usually recommend servicing every 5000 miles. The car will need to be serviced every 2 months or so if this is the case.

Is the car still under warranty? I'd ignore what the dealer says TBH. If you're doing 5k every 2 months you're a high mileage driver and your car probably needs *less* frequent oil changes than the recommended 12k intervals. Because the 12k is likely based on an "average" amount of cold running etc. whereas with your mileage you are probably doing a far lower percentage of cold running than the average so your oil is getting a relatively easier time of it. Still, do get it serviced every 12k to be safe and to cover yourself.

That's assuming of course that the garage is competent enough to use the right spec oil as recommended by Peugeot. Your car probably needs ACEA B3 oil but if you ask the dunce at the service desk in your dealer about ACEA ratings you'll likley get a blank look :rolleyes:

Yeah, the car has about 6 months left on its warranty.

The last time I was in there, they told me they used the oil recommended by peugeot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Yeah, the car has about 6 months left on its warranty.

The last time I was in there, they told me they used the oil recommended by peugeot.
    I had trouble getting answers on skoda, so i e-mailed head office here and sent a copy to Prague. . Next time i ask anything of the dealer, after casually mentioning I had been in touch with Czech...they took notice. I reckoned they regarded me as a potentially dangerous "loose cannon"

http://www.peugeot.ie
    http://www.peugeot.fr

regards
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

5,000 miles service intervals seems very short. My audi only needs servicing up to 30,000 miles or every 2 years depending what the on board computer tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi has a PSA diesel engine too, and that has a normal service interval of 12,500 miles or 20,000 km, which I'd guess would be the same for yours. Sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one to me.

Alun wrote:
    My Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi has a PSA diesel engine too, and that has a normal service interval of 12,500 miles or 20,000 km, which I'd guess would be the same for yours. Sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one to me.
    Thats what I thought. The on board computer displays service intervals of 12500 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

5,000 miles service intervals seems very short. My audi only needs servicing up to 30,000 miles or every 2 years depending what the on board computer tells me.

:eek: Dude you listen to a computer to tell you when you change your oil. Thats a joke and 30k is far too long. Every two years of 30k am shocked. I service my car every 6-9k miles, fresh oil will keep the car going far longer than if you change it every 30k miles.

to the OP as you have a deisel 5k servicing is considered correct. Now listen up a full service is not require till every 10k. So every 5k you put in fresh oil as this is the life line of a deisel car. Without fresh oil the engine will burn up.
    Everyone 10K put in new air filter and maybe a fuel filter as well. There are no spark plugs on a deisel engine.

Servicing a deisel is a piece of pie and any monkey can do it especially those who wait for the computer to beep.

• Advertisement

kluivert, you're living in the dark ages :) 5k oil changes for a modern diesel using modern good quality oils (ACEA B3 spec etc.) are unnecessary. The exception to this might be if the car is used in exceptionally harsh conditions. Eg it's only being driven 1 mile journeys at a time from cold and having the bollox revved out of it for that 1 mile.

If a car has variable oil change intervals the computer will pick this up anyway as it will use the amount of cold running and revs to estimate how often the oil needs to be changed. This works once the owner or garage use the correct oil as specified by the manufacturer. The big question is - can garages be trusted to do this or do they just fling in any old sh1t that happens to be lying around .

It is amazing how many so called "professionals" working in the motor trade (incl main dealers) haven't a ****ing clue about this kind of stuff and think that all oil is the same or that the only thing that matters is the brandname :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

All Peugeot dealers do this - my wife has had two 206s and I've a 307. We've tried several dealers and after every service the little sticker on the windscreen gives an incorrect (and shorter) mileage amount for the next scheduled service. Its an amazing coincidence that all Peugeot dealers make this 'mistake'. I emailed Peugeot Ireland about it and got a phonecall from their head of marketing to confirm that the service intervals listed in the printed service schedule are correct and that the dealers were 'mistaken'. Nothing to confirm this in writing though. I brought this up with a service manager afterwards and got a blank look....

Stick to the printed schedule and service indicator and ignore the dealer. Modern filtration and oil technology has moved on a lot since the old days of frequent oil changes.

Advertisement