Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

video - cycling through dublin traffic

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I just spotted this video on Google, it shows what it’s like cycling through the city during rush hour traffic which I’ve never done, fascinating video when all you know is driving, he saves a lot of time too, i might give my bike a chance yet!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6622988120159554144&q=dublin&pl=true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

My commute is about 4 miles from the city centre out to the stillorgan dual carriageway.

In a car, it takes 45 minutes to an hour.

On a bicycle, it takes almost exactly 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ando wrote:
    he saves a lot of time too

We'd all save time if we had such blatent disregard for the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Bluetonic wrote:

Who yanked your chain? You're just pi55ed that you saw your car sitting in traffic while he whizzed by on the bike.

Magown3 wrote:
    Who yanked your chain? You're just pi55ed that you saw your car sitting in traffic while he whizzed by on the bike.

I'd love to see some of the pedestrians he has no consideration for raise their fist and smack him one as he cuts in and and out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that looks like it was done by the boards own cyclopath

really cool song that

hmm traffic doesn't look toooo horrible

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'd love to see some of the pedestrians he has no consideration for raise their fist and smack him one as he cuts in and and out of them.

Take a look again at the video and you'll clearly see that not one of the pedestrians looked up an down the road before trying to cross or get out of the car. Even the lady with 2 kids in tow didn't check if there were bicycles or motorbikes coming. It's their own fault if they feel "cut up" by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Magown3 wrote:
    Take a look again at the video and you'll clearly see that not one of the pedestrians looked up an down the road before trying to cross or get out of the car. Even the lady with 2 kids in tow didn't check if there were bicycles or motorbikes coming. It's their own fault if they feel "cut up" by him.

Welcome to a cyclists life. The worst is when in heavy traffic going between stationary buses/trucks, pedestrians have no concept of cyclists and dont even check to see. It seems that they think if they dont look they cant be held responsible for any accidents :confused:

That guys cycle isnt too bad, I would have turned right at the swan centre and then gone down by Ranelagh. There would have probably been less traffic.

He got a good run at the lights too...

Did you see the Learner Sticker in the big 4x4 just as he comes into Rathmines? What kind of person in the city/suburbs learns to drive in that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i must say he had a good run cycle lane left clear and anyways those roads are always backed up morning noon and night would love to see a video of a road thats not so congested or in the afternoon when the traffic is not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Bluetonic wrote:
    Like when?
    Going through Rathmines is a nightmare on a bike. As you can see, the amount of people who get out of cars/step off the footpath etc... is ridiculous, every single time I cycle through there I have one or two near misses like in the video. If he had have left his house 5seconds earlier the woman and her two kids would know all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for posting, Ando. A lot of it used to be part of my commute. Yes, on a bike at first. The traffic seemed very light though - it was worse in my time which is a good few years back. Anybody any ideas? Maybe it was either earlier or later than peak time or during holidays?
    Simona1986 wrote:
    Going through Rathmines is a nightmare on a bike

Yes it is. 7:40 into the video coming up to the canal is where I had my worst cycling accident in Dublin. A woman abruptly swung open the passenger door of a car and I went into it full speed :(

BTW I thought the cyclist was pretty well behaved and didn't cycle particularly fast or aggressively either

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I reckon judging by traffic, since I live in the area, its just before peak time.

And I have to agree Rathmines is a horror on a bike, especially women and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

unkel wrote:
    Thanks for posting, Ando. A lot of it used to be part of my commute. Yes, on a bike at first. The traffic seemed very light though - it was worse in my time which is a good few years back. Anybody any ideas? Maybe it was either earlier or later than peak time or during holidays?

Yes it is. 7:40 into the video coming up to the canal is where I had my worst cycling accident in Dublin. A woman abruptly swung open the passenger door of a car and I went into it full speed :(

BTW I thought the cyclist was pretty well behaved and didn't cycle particularly fast or aggressively either

He was pretty fast alright but not really aggressive. There are plenty of cyclists who do go too far, speeding through pedestrian lights is all too common now but he seemed OK to me.

Just at 11 mns is where I had my last and by far worst crash on the bike. A van drove out of a side street straight into me, sent me flying across the road where a car just managed to stop about 12 inches infront of me. Suddenly out of nowhere staring at a screeching tyre bearing down on me; not pleasant at all, thank fuk for ABS. On top of that the prick in the van just sped off driving over the bike in the process. Never caught the guy, a witness had a partial plate but the guards really didn't want to know.

I haven't really cycled much since then, took a while for my leg to recover and I had got out of the habit, that and changes of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

That French lad should phuck off back to his homeland... where there's no traffic jams mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Great video. I have walked, cycled and driven that route for years and I know where he lives ! I wonder what type of camera he used and how was it mounted on the bike. I emailed my sister in Australia and she said it was better than getting a present of a packet of tayto for the memories !

Ok there were a couple of times that a cop could have given him a ticket but i reckon his cycle was fairly indicative of a daily commute for a cyclist. I really miss the bike for work but i need my car for work so cycling is not an option.

BTW, from the link page I came across a couple of other videos where I knew people in them ! Bizarre. Thanks for the link.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Like when?

For one, cutting through predestrian traffic lights.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bluetonic wrote:

but where is his blatant disregard for the rules of the road?
    thats rubbish, he stops at lights etc etc and has to avoid various cars in cycle lanes and pedestrians who step out into moving traffic without looking. as far as I can tell we see about 30 car drivers with blantant disregard for the rules of the road and about 15 pedestrians. He only does a few minor things for his own safety...

daveym wrote:
    but where is his blatant disregard for the rules of the road?
    thats rubbish, he stops at lights etc etc and has to avoid various cars in cycle lanes and pedestrians who step out into moving traffic without looking. as far as I can tell we see about 30 car drivers with blantant disregard for the rules of the road and about 15 pedestrians. He only does a few minor things for his own safety...

Firstly I'm not here to debate whether or not 'car drivers' or 'pedestrians' have had blatent disregard for the rules of the road.

Secondly I'm not going to watch through the video again and jot down the running time where he's broken the rules of the road. Take a look at when he meanders through people using a pedestrian crossing and tell me if he's breaking the rules of the road (circa 7min 54 secs). One of many.

Justifying his actions by saying 'as far as I can tell we see about 30 car drivers with blantant disregard for the rules of the road and about 15 pedestrians. He only does a few minor things for his own safety...' doesn't really cut it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

He was the best behaved cyclist I have ever seen on the road (never seen one stop on red, when they are turning left ! i.e. leeson st. bridge), but thats probably because he knew he was being recorded. Shame the camera wasn't on his head, then we could judge better, if he looks over his shoulder to see if its clear etc.

I'm guessing the video was done around 8:30am - I do part of that route daily around 7.20am, and its nowhere near as busy.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Firstly I'm not here to debate whether or not 'car drivers' or 'pedestrians' have had blatent disregard for the rules of the road.

Secondly I'm not going to watch through the video again and jot down the running time where he's broken the rules of the road. Take a look at when he meanders through people using a pedestrian crossing and tell me if he's breaking the rules of the road (circa 7min 54 secs). One of many.

Justifying his actions by saying 'as far as I can tell we see about 30 car drivers with blantant disregard for the rules of the road and about 15 pedestrians. He only does a few minor things for his own safety...' doesn't really cut it to be honest.

what do you mean it doesn't cut it, it doesn't have to. I read your comments about 'blatant disregard' and then watched the video and couldn't believe how careful he was. basically you are full of it as far as I am concerned and i'm sure most people watching it would agree..

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    what do you mean it doesn't cut it, it doesn't have to. I read your comments about 'blatant disregard' and then watched the video and couldn't believe how careful he was. basically you are full of it as far as I am concerned and i'm sure most people watching it would agree..

All it takes is for him to break the rules of the road once, which I have proven, for my point of view that he had 'blatent disregard' to be true. Whereas your view that you 'couldn't believe how careful he was' obviously falls short becasue of the above. Do you disagree that someone who takes a decsion to break the rules of the road is not doing it blatently? Maybe if I travel 'carefully' in my car for the majority of my journey I can break a few rules, is that it?

As to whether I'm full of it or not, I don't see how this is relevant or why you bothered to mention it, regardless of if its true or not. Quite a pointless thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

The video is 2 years old. Traffic far worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

ondafly wrote:
    (never seen one stop on red, when they are turning left ! i.e. leeson st. bridge)

I think it should be made legal to take a left turn at a red light if it is safe to do so, just like it is in the US (except obviously its a right turn there)...

Anyway, watched the start of the video, the camera angles annoyed me and seeing as i cycle everyday, it was typical of my journey, except i don't go through pedestrian lights if someone is using it (i know i am still breaking the law)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

The only time he was a bit dodgy was turning right at Portobello bridge while the pedestrians were crossing.
    He should have chosen a different route to avoid having to do that.
    But for a poster to concentrate on that incident alone is quite ridiculous being the case that throughout the entire video we see cars ignoring rules of the road, blocking the road at intersections, blocking cycle lanes, pedestrians getting out of cars w/ out looking etc.
    I'd say he's a well behaved cyclist. I didn't like overtaking the bus (on the left) while it's parked at a bus stop. People are entitled to enter/exit the bus just then and it'd make for a nasty collision.
    I've cycled (most) this same route for nearly a year and i'd guess it's just before the rush.

Thanks for posting it.

Bluetonic wrote:
    tell me if he's breaking the rules of the road (circa 7min 54 secs). One of many.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    All it takes is for him to break the rules of the road once, which I have proven

Make up your mind would you... Did he break the the rules "many" times or "once"?

<controversial>
    IMO he broke the rules only once at the pedestrian lights but so what, we've all broke the law at some stage or another, let's face it.
    </controversial>:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

A lot of people are commenting on whether the cyclist sticks to the rules of the road.
    Let's have a game of 'spot the illegal driving' instead.
    The first I saw was someone parked in the advanced stop line at the lights, gave up watching then.

M

Magown3 wrote:
    Make up your mind would you... Did he break the the rules "many" times or "once"?

If you had grasp of proper English you'd realise the difference betwen the two sentences when read in context.

Bluetonic wrote:
    If you had grasp of proper English you'd realise the difference betwen the two sentences when read in context.

that's hardly fair, you yourself seem to have your own way of spelling blatant and also a personal definition where it means nothing.

Bluetonic wrote:

If you said that he broke the rules of the road "many times" and then backed it up with just one example then you haven't proved your arguement at all.

• Advertisement

Magown3 wrote:
    If you said that he broke the rules of the road "many times" and then backed it up with just one example then you haven't proved your arguement at all.

When did I say I was trying to prove my argument? Answer, as it may take you some time to find it, is never. If you read slowly and put your finger under the words you'll see I used one example example to disprove the statement that the cyclist was 'careful'. I didn't attempt to prove my own statement with example as it can be easily seen.

I'm sure you can PM with any other issues you may have, let keep this thread on topic, or at least related to good, bad or indifference usage of the roads by cyclists, motorists or pedestrians.

Advertisement