Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

video - cycling through dublin traffic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

He may broken a light but that doesn't prove he wasn't carefull.
    It is very possilbe to break a red light or go on a footpath on a bicycle while still being carefull. I don't see the cyclist in question putting anyone in danger anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Simona1986 wrote:
    I don't see the cyclist in question putting anyone in danger anyway.

www.specsavers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I agree wholeheartedly with Bluetonic. The cyclist should not even be on the road. It is quite obvious from the video that the cyclist is a danger to themselves and others. The fact that the cycle lanes are blocked does not entitle this obvious lunatic to try and move out into the rest of the road. The cycle lanes should be removed as they are underutilised and would better serve cars which have limited road space resulting in traffic jams. I personally think that Bluetoxic would agree wholeheartedly with me in saying that all cyclists are a danger to themselves and others as they do not queue with normal traffic. Instead they commit this absolutely antisocial reckless act of making progress when it is obvious that car are stopped for a reason. The number of cyclist deaths can be directly attributed to their complete lack of safety concerns. They deem it normal to move at over 20KM which is in fact faster than the average car in Dublin without any roll cage, airbags, seatbelt or bull bars. If a car pulls out in front of them from a side road it is the cyclists responsibility due to moving when other traffic stopped and by not having the correct width of a car which is a requirement to be noticed by my fellow car drivers like Bluemovie. Therefore I say we should ban all cyclists and motorcyclists as they damage the car when you hit them unlike the pauper pedestrians. I also wish to ban all trucks, buses, and non-car like vehicles from the roads as they slow traffic considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

7.46 mins - crossing continious white line
    7.47 mins - cycling on wrong side of the road

It's a hideous video and should be shown to kids at an early age of how not to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Hey Pigeon Reaper.... ever thougth of a career in politics? You'd go really far with an attitude like that. :rolleyes:

The cycle lanes should be removed as they are underutilised and would better serve cars which have limited road space resulting in traffic jams.
    Yes.... cycle lanes are the reason that Dublins traffic is ridiculus. :rolleyes:

drivers like Bluemovie.
    Bluemovie????? It's Bluetonic.... You're mind was clearly elsewhere at the time of writing.... LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Clearly Pigeon Reaper was taking the piss, and you havent copped onto that fact, as for the video, the cyclist was not behaving in an irrational manner, his movements were all predictable and he wasnt weaving in and out of cars etc, i would break far more lights than he did if i was cycling into town. people need to get rid of their holier than thou attitude, unless they have never broken a single law which i find impossible to believe is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

This is an interesting thread. I am not familiar with all the Dublin areas but I was not impressed by this Guy's riding.

Lets see, he

pulled in front of two cars at lights.(in front of one on the canal as the light changed)

Did not take any degree of evasive action for the lady with her children and the lady who got out out the car (and yes they were all in the wrong)

passed buses on the inside (at a pace that if the bus moved in, he was comprimised or if a passenger walked out, he would have not been able to react).

did not follow any cycling etiqute like the others on the canal who were queueing up behind each other.

cycled on a footpath.

tried hard to catch the guy on the racer along the canal (admittedly he was going fast) and only caught him at the lights.

intimidated the cyclist when he caught up with the two together at the set of lights. the body language of the cyclist before he knew that someone was right on his wheel and after is noticeable.

cut the cyclist who kept pace with him after he crossed the canal. As they both approached the on coming car, he did not go out to allow the other cyclist out.

Cyclists without standards in their behaviour put themselves and others at risk. It is a good piece of video action. Good Cycling - never. It is amazing: not that they are so many accidents, but that there are so few.

I see crap driving everyday, some of it potentially fatal: but I do not want someone to say that my cycling behaviour is bad. For the record I about 2k miles a year commuting and about the same every year on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting glimpse into a world of which I know nothing.

Before condeming the cylcist for 'nearly' running over the errant child and mother I would need to know the lens on the camera, they are usualy wide angle so give a false indication of speed and distance.

On the other points, clearly riding on the pavement in front on a bus shelter is dumb as was crossing the box junction going right when pedestrians had the right of way so cutting straight through them. The other thing that struck me was that he did'nt seem to glance over his shoulder once if he had the camera view would have shifted to the right. I would like to have an idea of whats going on behind me.

Finally whatever happened to bells? Not 'cool' anymore it seems but quite handy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

At around 8.40 in the video he pulls up at lights, with about 5 other cyclists, none of whom break the lights. I was wondering why, until I spotted the Garda car on the opposite side of the road!

Reminds me of a sign I saw at traffic lights in Galway City this week:

"Under Irish Law, a bicycle is classed as a car"

Makes sense - cars are definitely forbidden from breaking red lights, and when was the last time you saw one driving on the pavement?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

although the garda car along with the securicor van & army appears to be transporting a lot of money and wouldn't have noticed or cared about the cyclists....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'd say, to be honest, that that cyclist's fairly agressive - if that was me I'd take another 3 or 4 mins about it, and not skip traffic up the middle of the road, because that's just asking for it.

Incidentally, had he hit the women and child they would have been *entirely* to blame: they got out of their car into a lane of traffic without looking! If it had been a bus there instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've both driven and cycled this route and yes he definitely broke the rules of the road and some pedestrians did not look correctly before they crossed the road. He also stopped at some red lights which is something you rarely see cyclists do. I'm wondering why cyclists always react to criticisms by citing bad behaviour by motorists and vice versa, two wrongs dont make a right. Far better for everybody if all obeyed the rules of the road and behaved with commonsense and courtesy to others.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Anybody care to do the same with a car?

We can criticise your driving and notice every time you break a law...

thanks for reinforcing my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bluetonic is spot on the money from what I saw on that video. That cyclist, while obviously skillful, is very over-confident, and does indeed break many many rules of the road.

Folks, regardless of whether you are on 2, 3, 4 or more wheels, nobody owns the road. The cycle lanes through Dublin are not perfect, they turn into bus stops, normal lanes etc. - that cyclist was cycling like he had absolute right-of-way in every situation regardless of any other road user or pedestrian.

Weaving in and out of cars on narrow lanes is nuts. Cyclists are NOT entitled to do that.

I saw no cases where he was cut up by a car. The only things I saw where he was put at risk was the woman and child (she should be teaching the child better road awareness than that) and his two-wheeled friends on the mopeds. All dangerous driving on that video was carried out by 2 wheelers.

Then he cycles right through a pedestrian crossing where people have a green man. I hope he cops on sometime soon, the way he cycles besides buses will someday result in him being dragged underneath one.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Tony wrote:
    I'm wondering why cyclists always react to criticisms by citing bad behaviour by motorists and vice versa, two wrongs dont make a right. Far better for everybody if all obeyed the rules of the road and behaved with commonsense and courtesy to others.

because when you get pissed on on a daily basis by by speeding big metal boxes, going through a pedestrian light at 15 mph when no body is there doesn't seem that bad.

Car driver myself but still remember and see from others what it is like to cycle. Every Gard should be put on a bike for a couple of weeks to get first hand experience in order reign in the behaviour of some drivers.

Get on a bike people and see what its like before you condemn any thing he does.

m4cker wrote:
    because when you get pissed on on a daily basis by by speeding big metal boxes, going through a pedestrian light at 15 mph when no body is there doesn't seem that bad.
    so getting pissed off is good reason to break the rules you criticise others for breaking? Breaking the rules of the road is not a matter of degree, you either stick to the rules or you break them. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Some Cyclists dont just break pedestrian lights they break all lights just as some motorists do. As I've said I am a cyclst myself.

Advertisement