Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommened software for network backups

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone got any recommendation for software for doing backups. The amount I backup each day is not a great amount maybe just under 80 GB a day. I am using the default windows backup software and to be honest it has it limits. I know Vertias/Symantic(spelling!) has some good tools but I really dont want to spend big money before I try a few out. Can anybody direct to some trial versions or freeware software that people feel is good? Any help would be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

learn how to use the xcopy command and put it in a .bat file

eg

open notepad and type (eg : )

xcopy c:\dir f:\dir /s /c /q

go save as and save with that one xcopy line

call it xcopy.bat not xcopy.txt

then use the scheduler to run xcopy.bat every night at midnight

you fine tune it and if you have a few directories to back up then make it

xcopy c:\dir1 f:\dir1 /s /c /q
    xcopy c:\dir2 f:\dir2 /s /c /q

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hi Deadfingers,

Firstly what are you backing up to?? I can recommend Veritas backup software and you can download and use a trial version for 60 days before you make up your mind. These have recently been taken over by Symantec but its still the great software it was before hand.

http://www.veritas.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=57754&a_id=9867&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

I backup all our databases, web app's , all network files on a daily basics and I do other backup tasks on Fridays and month ends and such stuff. I will try that free trial. Thanks cableguy. Sponge Bob I have something similar set up to what you have posted but it is not what I would need in this situation as it is part of a backup project I am working on and I need to check logs and stuff like that. Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 daveyb

I have used BackupAssist - only costs from €127 for commercial use. It uses the windows NTbackup software but adds more functionality like better scheduling, email notification, tape rotation. It can also backup Exchange and SQL databases.

http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssist/index.html for 30 day trial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

CA Brightstor 11.5 with what ever agents you need, Open File, Exchange, SQL, Linix what ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement