Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a good programming course

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

(mods please move to job forum if you deem necessary thanks)

Hi all
    I am bascially looking for advice on what to do. I have an engineering backround but made the jump to software (localization) over 5 years ago.I have an interest in databases and C. I am desperate to get a programming qualification so I can get a job thats more satisfying but I cannot decide on what course to take. I only have a diploma so a Post-qrad is out of the question. Open university would take too long but I would consider it. MCP's are an option but do employers really look at them. Evening Courses are the most appealing but can be expensive and are the qualifications they give worth anything?

If anyone has any advice (courses or otherwise) I would gratfully appreciate it.

thanks
    Surfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Layla1981

Galway Mayo Institiute of Tech their software dev course is pretty good and it has a strong emphasis on C

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

I've done a few post grad OU courses and found them excellent, however, they are expensive. I would expect the same quality and similar pricing for OU undergrad courses.

Sicne you already have a diploma and relevant work experience, I don't think that you would get much value from anything less than a degree level qualification. Unfortunately, there isn't any quick way to get a degree level qualification part time. Its difficult to work full time and do more than one or two modules at a degree level, so this immediately extends the time required to be longer than a standard full-time course.

Advertisement