Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Halting Site

Options
  • 18-04-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently there is going to be a halting site built on UCD. There is currently a spat about it between Brady and the local councilers. Brady wants it by Roebuck, and the councillors want it at Beech Hill. Does anyone have any info on this? size, capacity etc.? I was surprised that both the Observer and the Tribune have ignored this storey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

:eek: So much for bike safety..... This has to be one of the dumbest proposals I've ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats ridiculous as 2 of my friends bikes were robbed outside the sprots centre.we should keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Apparently there is going to be a halting site built on UCD. There is currently a spat about it between Brady and the local councilers. Brady wants it by Roebuck, and the councillors want it at Beech Hill. Does anyone have any info on this? size, capacity etc.? I was surprised that both the Observer and the Tribune have ignored this storey.
    Ah firespinner your back:) If you didn't get this from the college 'papers' where did you get it, if it were to ever happen I expect there would be uproar over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

This joke is 17 days old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Queue at least one hippie reply in which we all admit how terribly evil it is to assume bikes might be robbed in said situation.

Silyl idea, I dont think students and travellers are typically bed fellows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I am horrified that you people in this day in age would immediatly associate a Traveller's community with thievery and danger to your personal belongings.
    Saying that however this place WILL go to crap because they are a filthy people who destroy every landscape they infest (Busy Park Road, Templeogue Service Station Field and West Dublin) The proof is there. Keep them out of UCD or vandelism and crime WILL go sky high.

€20 withing the first week a bike will be in the lake. Any takers?

And incase any "hippies" or human rights enthusiasts come on , these people have had everything handed to them, pissed all over it and then complained about the state of their dwellings and that the taxpayer should give them more money. My hole, they had their chance . Call a Nazi a Nazi, call a pedophile a pedophile and call a Knacker a Knacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

The story was in the Southside People.

Is that seriously the name of a paper, classic:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My clothes, seriously my clothes... with no money, phone, wallet, anything of value besides some clothes which weren't even clean were taken from the changing rooms in the sports centre. Ok I didn't have a lock but I was thinking who the hell would want to take some clothes. Maybe they'd take the bag and search it later, but no my clothes weren't even in my bag. They were on the bottom of the locker with the bag on top. Somebody actually packed my shoes, dirty clothes and towel into my bag and then robbed them.

I talked to the manager after and was expecting the 'if you didn't have a lock line' but he thought the same as me, who the hell would want to take clothes. He reckoned somebody had moved them and they'd turn up the next day. Got me to fill out a report form and said he'd call me. Didn't hear anything so next time I was in I asked and they found nothing. God damn what kind of knacker steals somebody's clothes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This joke is 17 days old...
    :confused:
    Humbert wrote:
    Ah firespinner your back If you didn't get this from the college 'papers' where did you get it, if it were to ever happen I expect there would be uproar over it.
    While on my banishment to the nether world of After Hours, I dipped into the "real" world and read a local paper called the Southside People. This was brought up by Cllr O'Keefe (Green I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My clothes, seriously my clothes... with no money, phone, wallet, anything of value besides some clothes which weren't even clean were taken from the changing rooms in the sports centre. Ok I didn't have a lock but I was thinking who the hell would want to take some clothes. Maybe they'd take the bag and search it later, but no my clothes weren't even in my bag.....................
    Ok I'm sorry to lower the tone of this highly prejudiced thread, but I just have to ask.. did you have other clothes on??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Scraggs wrote:
    Ok I'm sorry to lower the tone of this highly prejudiced thread, but I just have to ask.. did you have other clothes on??;)

I just may have. Yeah I had to go home in the freezing cold and pissing rain on the 145 in my gym gear which can't have smelled too good with a towel slung over my shoulder. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

This halting site has been debated about for years. I'd say it's local residents who'll have the biggest say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

:confused:
    April Fools...

Sarn wrote:
    This halting site has been debated about for years. I'd say it's local residents who'll have the biggest say.
    It sounds like its coming online soon

Here is a link to the article

UCD chief asked to discuss plans
    The president of UCD has been asked to meet with county councillors to discuss the implications for local residents of a 10 year development plan for the college.Hugh Brady, the president of UCD, unveiled his plans to transform the campus at Belfield at a cost of E400 million in the chambers of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council two weeks ago.
    The proposal includes the construction of a 300-bedroom hotel, shops, a public plaza, new sports facilities, a cultural centre including a theatre and cinema, transport facilities, a new road network and an increase in the number of student accommodation units to 5,000.
    At the briefing, Mr Brady said the aim is not only to create a sustainable living environment for the university's 30,000 students and staff, but also to open up the campus as an amenity to the local community.
    He also spoke about engaging more with local communities through the Gateway project which will impact most on the local community. It includes proposals for the redesign of the pedestrian and road network. The current university entrance, considered dangerous and congested, would be redesigned under the plans.

Three ward councillors in Stillorgan - Louise Cosgrave (FG), Gerry Horkan (FF), and Gearoid O'Keefe (Ind) - have requested further discussions with Mr Brady on certain aspects of the proposals.
    Last week, Cllr O'Keefe said he believed there was a need for UCD to accept the need for a comprehensive review of traffic management within the campus; particularly what he said could be the negative impact of 5,000 vehicle movements on to Foster's Avenue.
    He also wants the college to change their support for what he described as the “flawed” Quality Bus Corridor linking Dundrum and Blackrock, a project which he claimed could have serious consequences for local residents.
    Finally, Cllr O'Keefe wants UCD to agree to a site approved by local councillors for the location of a Traveller halting site on UCD lands at Beech Hill, as opposed to one on Roebuck Road.
    Cllr O Keefe told Southside People last week: “While we see this as an exciting and dynamic plan for the college there are certain aspects of the proposals that we are going to have to thrash out. We want to know how the infrastructure will work and how it deals with traffic.
    “This will have an effect on local residents in Owenstown Park and Foster Avenue from the point of view of traffic coming through Belfield.”
    At the meeting two weeks ago, Mr Brady also spoke about opening up some of the woodlands on the grounds of UCD to the public. Cllr O'Keefe said he would like a guarantee from the college that they would do that.
    He also warned that he would launch a campaign against the UCD development if the college authorities persisted in locating a halting site on Roebuck Road.
    “I will vote against the material contravention of the development plan unless UCD accept the location that we have suggested,” Cllr O'Keefe added.
    A spokesperson for UCD could not confirm whether Mr Brady would meet the councillors and said the college was unavailable for comment on the matters raised by councillor O'Keefe.
    My Bold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Damn, it was all a hoax. Now i have the guns out. DAmn

April Fools...
    This was printed after April Fools day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i know its not a nice thing to say but the only problem i see is that wherever travellers are 'put', whether or not proper facilities are provided, they have a tendency of wrecking the place as Grimes mentioned, i've seen it time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

To what extent can anyone actually do anything about this? It looks like if it gets the go-ahead, that'll be that. It's not like we're in a position to kick up a fuss or anything. I don't think it's a good idea, and anyone who works alongside travellers will tell you it's not going to improve the bike-theft situation.

I suppose the best option for students in the future would be to demand that UCD pays for every item that's stolen. Not to accuse any particular bunch of people at all, but with many more non-students on campus, it's going to be harder to police, and that will result in unscrupulous people taking advantage, no matter what their race.

There would also need to be strict provisions with regard to waste, and I'd imagine UCD will have to pay for its removal.

To what extent can anyone actually do anything about this? It looks like if it gets the go-ahead, that'll be that. It's not like we're in a position to kick up a fuss or anything. .
    We can protest about the price of coffee but not this:rolleyes:. I'm fairly sure that it would get a bigger turnout then any modularisation protest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The ucd halting site has been on the cards for years and years. And no progress ever made on it. Local residents association oppose it. I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for this site to go ahead.

That's reassuring.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

We can protest about the price of coffee but not this:rolleyes:. I'm fairly sure that it would get a bigger turnout then any modularisation protest
    Precisely. How could any student body take it one themselves to run, what is in effect a racist rally? No matter how we look at it, we cannot say that there is a valid non-discriminatory reason for opposing the site.

Anyway, as robin said, this may not come about and even if it does, it is unlikely that any current students will be affected.

Precisely. How could any student body take it one themselves to run, what is in effect a racist rally? No matter how we look at it, we cannot say that there is a valid non-discriminatory reason for opposing the site.

Anyway, as robin said, this may not come about and even if it does, it is unlikely that any current students will be affected.
    Is it racism if there is a verifiable statistical difference?

swap 'verifiable statistical difference' for previously witnessed inevitable consequence.

It could be just the thing to rekindle interest in the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Excuse me for one moment? Since when did generations of interbreeding constitute a <b>seperate race</b>?

Anyone who knows me knows i have very liberal views. I also grew up in tallaght so i like to think im speaking from some kinda experience here. and trust me YOU DONT WANT THIS. I'm not gonna go down the road of "they've been given everything by the state" or that "they'd steal the eye out of your head and come back for the eyelid". The fact is that most people have enough anecdotal evidence to say that everyone's worst case scenarioes are extremely likely to become realities.

I LIKE the fact that i can come to UCD and know that it is a relatively safe place within the greater hell hole that is Dublin. The place might be a kip but its OUR kip. Sure it should be opened up to the public and provide amienities for the community but as we are so often reminded travellers are a seperate community (or as some of you seem to think "race").

Are services gonna go around asking travellers for Student cards and then removing them from campus for not having them? Cause if i tell services that i dont have a card thats what they threaten to do.

This positive discrimination and political correctness B.S. is just that; bull-fúckin-shít.

Can u imagine? residences been broken into? human faeces strewn around? the crap that they leave in their wake?

This isn't racism or xenophobia this is fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They're trying to put them all over the place around here. Residents groups are very much against these plans and, as far as I know, my party opposes putting these halting sites in the area. (Not 100% sure).

Advertisement