Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Halting Site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*cking ridiculous idea, this better not go ahead. They'll f*ck up the campus like they f*ck up everything else. F*cking unreal, the cheek of these people!!! Is there no island off Galway that they can live on?

This bending-over habit the government and Gardaí seem to have adopted to deal with Travellers is bloody infuriating.

I hope ye all like dirty nappies, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

They'll all be bathing in the student centre swimming pool... pissing and shítting... should be funny.

Knowing how crap this country is chances are the halting site with nice little challettes, like the one on the cookstown road (adjacent to where i live) in tallaght does, will be finished before they even start on this home-sick abortion they call the new student centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'd love if they put a halting site on the Trinity cricket green in front of the pav:D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Excuse me for one moment? Since when did generations of interbreeding constitute a <b>seperate race</b>?

Anyone who knows me knows i have very liberal views. I also grew up in tallaght so i like to think im speaking from some kinda experience here. and trust me YOU DONT WANT THIS. I'm not gonna go down the road of "they've been given everything by the state" or that "they'd steal the eye out of your head and come back for the eyelid". The fact is that most people have enough anecdotal evidence to say that everyone's worst case scenarioes are extremely likely to become realities.

I LIKE the fact that i can come to UCD and know that it is a relatively safe place within the greater hell hole that is Dublin. The place might be a kip but its OUR kip. Sure it should be opened up to the public and provide amienities for the community but as we are so often reminded travellers are a seperate community (or as some of you seem to think "race").

Are services gonna go around asking travellers for Student cards and then removing them from campus for not having them? Cause if i tell services that i dont have a card thats what they threaten to do.

This positive discrimination and political correctness B.S. is just that; bull-fúckin-shít.

Can u imagine? residences been broken into? human faeces strewn around? the crap that they leave in their wake?

This isn't racism or xenophobia this is fact.
    It seems pretty obvious that you haven't got a nancy what you're talking about. Have a look at some of this and try to gain some sort of perspective:
    Note S. 3(2)(i): http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA8Y2000S3.html
    http://www.ilo.org/public/english/dialogue/ifpdial/sd/social_pacts/ire_pact_1.htm

As for coming from Tallaght, I come from Bray originally and I lived within a five minute walk from an illegal halting site for over 14 years. There was nothing to show that he travellers were any more criminal than the other scumbags in Bray. In fact, I personally would have a lot more time for travellers than for some of the absolute dregs of humanity that come out of that town.

Travellers don't see things the way we do, so we have to account for that to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The SU should do something - the lazy gits seem to have nothing better to do than pass meaningless motions and ****-stir on abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As another proud Tallaghtfornian, I do have to say that you do NOT want this in the area. The amount of crap that they bring to the area - whether it's just the pure mess, the drunken loutishness, the general level of petty crime.. it's just not nice. Really, we don't want this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

As for coming from Tallaght, I come from Bray originally and I lived within a five minute walk from an illegal halting site for over 14 years. There was nothing to show that he travellers were any more criminal than the other scumbags in Bray. In fact, I personally would have a lot more time for travellers than for some of the absolute dregs of humanity that come out of that town.

Thats no reason to bring in dodgy people? I;m with Kev, from Tallaght too and any scumbags Ive had to deal with had nothing on the travellers round the square.

Consistent robberies right beside where they were, including myself and some friends. Turned the area into a complete tip.

Scumbags on the other hand may look intimadating but on the whole are more of a annoyance whereas travellers tend to be a Grade A **** your area up in no time kind of buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You know guys, this thread brings a tear to my eyes.
    Here on the UCD forum, we may disagree about a lot of things, but on this topic, we are united! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Its kind of ridiculous that Hugh Brady wants to spend so much trying to improve the image of UCD, and no matter what anyone says bringing travellers onto campus definitely is going to bring the image down. I'm another one who lives near travellers, and trust me its not fun, they are on a patch of land near a football field, and you would have to be insane to actually want to play football there, as you would have to avoid glass, sofas, a burnt out moped, and who knows what else.

Pythia wrote:
    Here on the UCD forum, we may disagree about a lot of things, but on this topic, we are united! :)
    *hugs sister Pythia*

• Advertisement

It seems pretty obvious that you haven't got a nancy what you're talking about. Have a look at some of this and try to gain some sort of perspective:
    Note S. 3(2)(i): http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA8Y2000S3.html
    http://www.ilo.org/public/english/dialogue/ifpdial/sd/social_pacts/ire_pact_1.htm

Did you just google "travellers" and "irish government"? I'm offended by the suggestion that i do not have a "nancy" about what i'm talking about.

" (h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the "ground of race"),

(i) that one is a member of the Traveller community and the other is not (the "Traveller community ground"),"

This for me implies that Travellers do not fall under the catagories mentioned in part (h). The idea that Travellers are a seperate race to the rest of the caucasians in the world is laughable at best.

I have perspective enough thank you. I believe that Travellers should be intergrated into the rest of irish society and therefore should be subject to the same standards as any other citizen.

Travellers don't see things the way we do, so we have to account for that to some extent.

Tough fúcking shít. If i decide tomorrow that i dont have to obey the rules i would be put down like a dog by the state and rightly so. We have one law for everyone, or no one at all.

What if i was to say that i feel i am being discriminated against by travellers? That the travelling community as a whole, seen as it seems to be a power untue itself, owes me some kind of recompence for the time in my youth when i lived in fear due to incidents between myself and members of the travelling community?

You're talking out of two sides of your ass by bitching about settled folk and saying travellers should be treated specially. I believe that to live in an equal society we should all treat eachother as well or poorly regardless of whether your black, white, yellow, brown, red or just dirty and so on.

political correctness can go f*ck itself.

PC thugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

That protest would be easy for the SU to organise

Instead of opposing travellers just oppose non-students becoming resident on campus! Would it be prejudice to oppose building a few housing estates on campus?

Anyway I'm sure this story is a steaming crock of ****e.

BTW You must be blind and illiterate if you think the Southside People is a real paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Anyway I'm sure this story is a steaming crock of ****e.

BTW You must be blind and illiterate if you think the Southside People is a real paper.

I doubt it, I've heard about this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

I don't see things the same way as you...can I do what I like and use that as an excuse?

the SU wont touch anything that the PC Brigade might get offended at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Mr_roger_bongos floats off and dreams of the future -

"Travelling community given the roebuck football field as a halting site",
    which they occupy to capacity.

The residents are visited by some friends for the weekend. They deposit their caravans in the adjacent car park. Ucd is turning out to be a wonderful place, their visiting friends decide to stay - q arrival of balliffs, only to find the cars directly adjacent to the visiting caravans mysteriously plundered/burnt out!

Residents of the halting site can enjoy a delicious espresso in insomnia while overlooking all that they halt on, maybe browsing the quinn school/campus at their convenience. Soaking up some of the 'academic' ambiance the building has to offer.

U.C.D T-shirts go on sale, logo on the front, and on the back ;

"Oh no, my bike seems to be missing!"
    "GO SEE THE 'Halted' Travellers"
    "While typing on it, your laptop suddenly vanishes before your very eyes"
    "GO SEE THE 'Halted' Traverllers"
    "Where'd i put me pen?"
    "GO SEE THE 'Halted' Travellers"

I'd shudder to think what would happen if a student was assaulted on campus and the 'halted' travellers were accused;

Possibility 1) - Ucd wakes up to find the Roebuck football field a deserted no-mans land

Possibility 2) - Riot? Students vs. travellers (and i'd bet they'd be calling for re-enforcements)

Ah well, at least we'll be able to pick up some cheap powertools/clothes/cars/generators/pens/jewellry/.........

i could do with some used carpets, i welcome our travelling cousins with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Eh sorry guys but count me out:o I can't actually believe some of the stuff I'm reading!

I do agree that a halting-site in UCD isn't the best of ideas in a so called 'place of learning' but I'd feel exactly the same if they were going to build ordinary houses etc. [any non-student accommadation] on campus.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Did you just google "travellers" and "irish government"? I'm offended by the suggestion that i do not have a "nancy" about what i'm talking about.
    No, I didn't, I'm a law student, and I've been reading this legislation for the past month.
    " (h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the "ground of race"),

(i) that one is a member of the Traveller community and the other is not (the "Traveller community ground"),"

This for me implies that Travellers do not fall under the catagories mentioned in part (h). The idea that Travellers are a seperate race to the rest of the caucasians in the world is laughable at best.
    It says, "(i) that one is a member of the travelling community and the other is not (the "Traveller community ground")". I added emphasis to make it clearer, but it means that discriminating against one person because they are a traveller is a ground for discrimination. You have just misread the provision. It says "one" versus "the other" because in Irish law, you cannot discriminate against one person (or group of people) on their own, there has to be someone that you're not discriminating against as a sort of benchmark.
    I have perspective enough thank you. I believe that Travellers should be intergrated into the rest of irish society and therefore should be subject to the same standards as any other citizen.
    Why should they be? They don't want to be. You can't force people to become part of a race that they are not, just because you have prejudices. We don't force our culture on Muslims, and there's a good reason for that. By your logic, we should either keep Muslims out of the country, or else assimilate them into our culture. You try and do either. Guess what would happen.
    Tough fúcking shít. If i decide tomorrow that i dont have to obey the rules i would be put down like a dog by the state and rightly so. We have one law for everyone, or no one at all.
    The legal standards in this country are a constant. If you decided not to obey the rules, the exact same thing would happen to you as happens to everyone else in the country. The same applies to travellers. So that's a non-issue. If you remember my point, it's that we cannot prejudge these people because of their race (or however you want to term it).
    What if i was to say that i feel i am being discriminated against by travellers? That the travelling community as a whole, seen as it seems to be a power untue itself, owes me some kind of recompence for the time in my youth when i lived in fear due to incidents between myself and members of the travelling community?
    If you feel like that, take it to the courts. I'm sure those guys would be more than happy to do the same to you. You can plead nuisance in tort for certain things that travellers are notorious for. I would contend that travellers are not the only people you live in fear of. There are plenty of unfavourable characters in all walks of life, and you might just live beside a bad bunch of travellers. Your experiences certainly do not match mine, so which of us is right? There is no right. Neither of us can categorically say that our experiences with travellers is wholly reflective of the entire community.
    You're talking out of two sides of your ass by bitching about settled folk and saying travellers should be treated specially. I believe that to live in an equal society we should all treat eachother as well or poorly regardless of whether your black, white, yellow, brown, red or just dirty and so on.
    I never said anything like that. I only ever said that the entire community shouldn't all be tarred by that brush your wielding in angry-mob fashion. You can continue to flame me all you like, I'm not likely to get upset about something you have clearly taken me up wrong on.
    political correctness can go f*ck itself.

PC thugs
    I'm one of the most un-PC people I know. So, you can cross that one off your list of flaming remarks too.

*sigh* Back to Corporate Finance Law for me.

I'm sorry but i never thought they should be forced to do anything, but abide by the same laws as the rest of the nation? You actually agree with me in the second part of the following quote. I've bolded parts you might not remember typing, what with ur head up ur ass.

(HCH: this section is in relation to whether the travelling community should abide by the laws of the land) Why should they be? They don't want to be. You can't force people to become part of a race that they are not, just because you have prejudices. We don't force our culture on Muslims, and there's a good reason for that. By your logic, we should either keep Muslims out of the country, or else assimilate them into our culture. You try and do either. Guess what would happen.

The legal standards in this country are a constant. If you decided not to obey the rules, the exact same thing would happen to you as happens to everyone else in the country. The same applies to travellers. So that's a non-issue. If you remember my point, it's that we cannot prejudge these people because of their race (or however you want to term it).

They're a community... like say the student community of UCD who are entitled to their education unhindered by negative outside incursions. You'd be singing from a different hymm sheet if this halting site crap did come about and something bad happened to you or someone you know as a result.
    One community is having another foisted upon it. The SU should complain about it. IT'S OUR university after all.

You said that settled people from bray were scum, you were referring to a minority yet tarred all those people with same brush you accuse me of using on the travelling community.

All i know is, is that there will always be people, in every community who behave illegally and inapproriately. However all stereotypes and reputations are based on actual truth. You cannot discount all anecdotal evidence which most people can attest to.

The reason there is ONLY anecdotal evidence is because its extremely hard to convict someone who has no fixed address, possibly no birth cert and lives in an insular nomadic society. People, myself included, have no desire to slander honest folk, but its not slander if the accusations are true if not unconfirmable.

I wont be replying to anymore of this thread as i hope that someone with a brain somewhere in the decision making process realises this is a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

To put a halting site in UCD would be nothing short of stupid.
    Whatever about PC bull****, the travelling community is a historicaly obsolete concept. It simply does not fit in with modern social realities, and why the government is so tolerant of thier blatant disrespect for society is beyond me.

Not only would putting in a halting site create enormous waste and public health issues, but also vastly increase the level of on-campus theft, vandalism and decrease the perceived safety of individuals on campus. We are a university, not a charity. We are here to educate, not to cater to the needs of wayward individuals with either

a) a psychological malcondition pertaining to an inability to settle, in the case of those travellers who do not commit more obvious crimes but simply refuse to settle as its against their traditions/beliefs etc.

b) blatant thuggery, deception and ignorance, in the case of those who wish to simply live as parasites off the state, moving around destroying areas in which they stay (which they believe its their right to settle where they wish), both physically through waste and pollution, and socially through increased crime.

If the SU doesn't protest, others will. And rightly so. If there's going to be rats on campus, they better be the furry type and in a laboratory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

However all stereotypes and reputations are based on actual truth. You cannot discount all anecdotal evidence which most people can attest to.
    Ok so I'm blonde that means I'm stupid right? [/****stir]

I'm sorry but i never thought they should be forced to do anything, but abide by the same laws as the rest of the nation? You actually agree with me in the second part of the following quote. I've bolded parts you might not remember typing, what with ur head up ur ass.

They're a community... like say the student community of UCD who are entitled to their education unhindered by negative outside incursions. You'd be singing from a different hymm sheet if this halting site crap did come about and something bad happened to you or someone you know as a result.
    One community is having another foisted upon it. The SU should complain about it. IT'S OUR university after all.

You said that settled people from bray were scum, you were referring to a minority yet tarred all those people with same brush you accuse me of using on the travelling community.

All i know is, is that there will always be people, in every community who behave illegally and inapproriately. However all stereotypes and reputations are based on actual truth. You cannot discount all anecdotal evidence which most people can attest to.

The reason there is ONLY anecdotal evidence is because its extremely hard to convict someone who has no fixed address, possibly no birth cert and lives in an insular nomadic society. People, myself included, have no desire to slander honest folk, but its not slander if the accusations are true if not unconfirmable.

I wont be replying to anymore of this thread as i hope that someone with a brain somewhere in the decision making process realises this is a bad idea.
    Hmm, I can't work out why you put in that line before the first quote "(HCH: this section is in relation to whether the travelling community should abide by the laws of the land)". That's blatantly not what I was saying at all at all. I was talking about why they shouldn't be forced to assimilate to our culture.

I also never said that settled people from Bray were scum. I said that some of the dregs of society have come from there, but I wouldn't brand everyone from Bray with that label. Just like I don't brand you with any label because you're from Tallaght.

I'm not really sure how else to respond to this one. It seems you have little time to reason out arguments properly, so I can't really discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

its never going to fúcking happen anyway, can ya imagine a convoy of pikeys comin in and parking up by the sports centre! no ****in way, has to be against health and saftey or somthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

TBH, if it's been on the cards for a few decades now (as it genuinely seems to have been), and it's not here yet, I wouldn't be shocked if this didn't happen until about 2030 at earliest...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A halting site in D4? You're focking joking me!
    What next? Black people in ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Sangre wrote:
    What next? Black people in ucd?
    Careful you, you'll have Daniel Wang and the Minority Police on you before you know it...

Scraggs wrote:
    Ok so I'm blonde that means I'm stupid right? [/****stir]
    That stereotype is inspired by jealousy. No-one is jealous of travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Hang on a second folks, how constructive is it to ignore the "travelling community", pour scorn on what you perceive to be their manner and hope that the problems will sort themselves out? Who are you to be so arrogant to assume that your behaviour and interests are superior to anyone elses? If we must make generalisations then let us concentrate on what all of us has in common: the desire to live in a peaceful, welcoming, inclusive community, to be free to pursue our own interests when they do not harm others, to live in a healthy environment... and find ways to develop these goals whatever the superficial differences. Protesting, whining and sniping behind psudonyms will not, and never will, improve the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

As someone who has been hearing about this for long time, I don't see it ever happening. For over 10 years they've been oing n about halting sites in the area, one in UCD, one accross the oad om the Deer Park, and one near Bird Avenue Church. It been going on for YEARS, and somewhere along the line I'm sure it's occured to them that it'd be better usage of the land to build social/affordable housing, or sell the land off (we're in one of the most valuble areas of Dublin after all), and buy land for a halting site where the land is cheaper....

Advertisement