Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Halting Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

If you look historically at the travelling community, thier routes of origin, and thier customs, it's clear that they do not belong nor fit in in a un urban setting.

Halting sites in the Dublin area are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Surely UCD is private property and the college auths would have some say in putting a halting site on their land. I doubt it would be in the best interest for the college is terms of security or more importantly in terms of the much hyped recent public image to go ahead with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I got the e-mail for O'Keefe. Should I e-mail him and see what the storey is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Why the hell not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Grimes wrote:
    I am horrified that you people in this day in age would immediatly associate a Traveller's community with thievery and danger to your personal belongings.
    Saying that however this place WILL go to crap because they are a filthy people who destroy every landscape they infest (Busy Park Road, Templeogue Service Station Field and West Dublin) The proof is there. Keep them out of UCD or vandelism and crime WILL go sky high.

€20 withing the first week a bike will be in the lake. Any takers?

And incase any "hippies" or human rights enthusiasts come on , these people have had everything handed to them, pissed all over it and then complained about the state of their dwellings and that the taxpayer should give them more money. My hole, they had their chance . Call a Nazi a Nazi, call a pedophile a pedophile and call a Knacker a Knacker

You've been here long enough to know where the line is. 1 week ban.

• Advertisement

So does anyone aside from the temporarily deceased Grimes, think I should e-mail this guy and find out the storey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

grimey actually got banned without even a warning? thats pretty nuts.

yes, you should mail o'keefe.

ferdi wrote:
    grimey actually got banned without even a warning? thats pretty nuts.

yes, you should mail o'keefe.
    Any suggestions for questions? Obviously when is it happening and how many families etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

where is it happening? i dont know, just general info, 't'd be interesting just to get our facts straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So does anyone aside from the temporarily deceased Grimes, think I should e-mail this guy and find out the storey?

I emailed one of the college newspapers (can't remember which one) yesterday and told them to get in touch with yer man and run a story.

Doubt it'll amount to much, though, so work away if you're so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

ah if this something thats bein said for years i hardly see it happening tbh. which is probably a good thing, dont want to end up with Grimes but I dont think anyone would be all that impressed with a halting site in ucd.

outa curiousity was it just how Grimes said what he said that got him the banning because he certainly wasnt the only one opposed to the idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I was just wondering the same thing.

Probably "call a Knacker a Knacker". Most of us agree with the sentiment anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Why UCD? I'm sort of a local (Sandymount), so I'm wondering who this halting site is for? Is there demand for a halting site in this area? I'm not going to be fatuous and ask if someone wanted to stay in UCD, rather, I'd like to know who is in the area seeking a halting site.

Moreover, I'm not sure why UCD is being proposed as a site for a halting site. Where does this come from? UCD's a university (just...:p ), so why plonk a community down in the middle of it?

Where would Traveller children go to school if they lived in UCD?

Why UCD? I'm sort of a local (Sandymount), so I'm wondering who this halting site is for? Is there demand for a halting site in this area? I'm not going to be fatuous and ask if someone wanted to stay in UCD, rather, I'd like to know who is in the area seeking a halting site.

Moreover, I'm not sure why UCD is being proposed as a site for a halting site. Where does this come from? UCD's a university (just...:p ), so why plonk a community down in the middle of it?

Where would Traveller children go to school if they lived in UCD?
    The state would probably subsidise them so that they could get into the foinest schools in the area, and mix with all of you poshies, to help them integrate into the community, roysh :p D4 travellers, loike, I know!

I'd almost want to see that...

In fairness it seems like the biggest load of nimby ever. I'm assuming if all this is true, UCD was chosen because it doesn't have a big residents association who would oppose something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'd almost want to see that...

In fairness it seems like the biggest load of nimby ever. I'm assuming if all this is true, UCD was chosen because it doesn't have a big residents association who would oppose something like this.
    Just 20,000 odd students who would...

Can you see our SU taking a stand that could be perceived as discriminatory? (For understandable reasons)

I can't see it happening either... i mean, Hugh's spending all this money on rebranding the college, and a halting site doesn't feature in this new image. No way would he let it happen.

Actually, now that I think of it, if the proposal is put to Hugh and he says no, a tenner says that the SU will start a human rights campaign and start calling him a racist or some sh*te like that :rolleyes:

I can picture the SU and a load of travellers joining hands and singing songs of protest/freedom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Just to clarify folks, grimes did not get banned for his opinion, he got banned for the bit where he likened (all though not expressly) travellers with paedofiles and nazi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I thought no area was obliged to provide facilities for travellers given that they're not indigenous to anywhere?

Just to clarify folks, grimes did not get banned for his opinion, he got banned for the bit where he likened (all though not expressly) travellers with paedofiles and nazi's.
    That's not the implication I got from his post, I think he was just making the point that we should stop tip-toeing around and being afraid to offend them. But I don't wanna drag the thread OT, so I guess I shall talk to you in a week Grimey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Since I live in the area and near the nearest supermarket to UCD, I really wouldn't want this to happen. But I don't see it actually ever happening. As anonymous joe said, it doesn't really make sense to put a community in the middle of what is supposed to be an academic community, and therefore concerned primarily with learning. I mean, it's hardly ideal for little kids is it? But I think most of this debate is hypothetical.

I'm too tired tonight, so I will send the e-mail tomorrow. I will post up what I send and his reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I can't see it happening tbh. UCD has lovely flat, green scenic land; land which would fetch lots and lots of money if sold (being right in the middle of D4 and all). Why put a halting site there? It'd bring down the value of the campus, and the surrounding areas too. It's not gonna happen.

Councillor O'Keefe,
    I recently noted in a local paper that you are in dispute with the President of UCD over the placement of a halting site on UCD lands. As a student at UCD and a resident of Dun Laoighaire-Rathdown I was hoping that you could answer some of my queries, as there is a lack of information available within UCD.
    When is the halting site construction going to commence? How large will the halting site be? Why is a halting site needed within an urban area? Will UCD be compensated for this use of its lands?
    I would be most grateful if you could give me a speedy response

This is what I'm sending. Any last minute suggestions for alterations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I would like you to answer some questions
    Sounds like you're interrogating him. "Ve have vays of making you talk!":p

How about "I hope you could answer a few of my queries"
    Just my 0.02.

irlrobins wrote:
    Sounds like you're interrogating him. "Ve have vays of making you talk!":p

How about "I hope you could answer a few of my queries"
    Just my 0.02.
    Thanks, thats much better

EDIT: E-Mail sent. Now we play the waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Listen up folks.

There have been quite a number of complaints made about this thread and to be perfectly honest I am astounded and sickened by some of what I'm reading. I'm not going to name names or point out specific posts, however I am giving everyone a warning.

This thread will be locked and bans will be handed out if anymore "knacker" comments are posted. If you want to post about the negative effects this halting site may have on the area then by all means do so. However, please do it without making bigoted remarks. Comments like the ones that have been posted would not be accepted if they were said about any other minority group in Ireland and as far as I'm concerned, the travelling community is no different on this forum.

Oh and feel free to call it PC bullshít if you want.

Advertisement