Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite channels broadcasted in the house through ethernet

• 18-04-2006 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I will have ethernet in the house and RJ45 in every room and I would like to receive all the satellite channels in a few rooms without having to pull coax cable and drilling holes all over the place

- I want a simple box that connects at the back of the satellite receiver and a small box at the back of the tv
    - I'd like to avoid the use of media centre (would look chunky in the kitchen)
    - I don't mind watching the same channel broadcasted in every room. No need for additional receiver

I already have a wireless video transmitter/receiver but this doesn't agree with the microwave, phone, wifi

I'm sure there's a gadget out there to do this simply

Thanks in advance
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's not easy and is going to cost more that you want to pay!

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/05dup/05F.html

The real problem is as follows :

Say you've one source, and want it in 2 places in the house, then you've got to duplicate the signal and broadcast it over each cat-5 cable. Another real problem is getting the remote signal back to the source kit from all the remote locations.

If then you want 2 sources (say Sat and DVD or 2 sat boxes available in every room) then everything gets far more complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Hi pH,

Thanks for the link. I didn't expect it to be that expensive. Well, I suppose I'll have to satisfy myself with the wireless AV receiver until prices come down.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmmm,

basically you are looking for somthing to take the analouge signnal from the box throw it down cat5 and also take the IR signal and repeat it?

The philips stremium range "may" have somthing that will do what you need. Failing that:

You could perhaps manually use rendundant wires on your cat5 (im pretty sure there are a couple, Sparky-S would know) to send a composite feed from your sattelite to the TV's. I have no idea what the interference would be like though. The remote control signal is another matter, guess you would need effectivly an IR blaster for that.

I know you dont really want to go that direction, but a HTPC would be the best way to go. They dont have to be big, noisy or ugly either! Once you try one, you will be hooked. If you are feeling really adverterous, you could have a system based on MythTv for very little money as its hardwar requirements are extremely low on both the server and client side.

@PH for some reason I cant see what product you linked to. Could you repost it?

[edit]

Got it:

"server"
    "client"

nice peice of kit but expensive. No mention of it it uses or interferes with ethernet

[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

nice peice of kit but expensive. No mention of it it uses or interferes with ethernet
    It uses the cat5 cable completely, you can't use it and ethernet side by side on the same cable.

Remember composite is only part of the equation they can transmit RGB and s-video, and also stereo audio, and allow IR signals to return.

better link to the entire range - keene and their Damn frames!

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/searchxx.pl?05dup,DIST,CAT5

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Hi SouperComputer.

Already looked at the streamium but this is not what I'm looking for.

Now you've mentionned using the wires to transmit the signal over CAT5, I've looked on the web and found this product. Still expensive @ $93 but it can be used on existing built-in CAT5 networks without interferences.

http://www.nvtuk.com/products_audio-video_nv-314a.asp

I will be receiving the French analogue channels through a small Pace receiver and I want to be able to view the TV in the living room, bedroom and kitchen. I don't want to pull multiple coax cables all over the house. Changing the channels can be done via the

Now €98 compared to the cost of an old chunky PC to run as a HTPC is comparable. HTPC are nice but I don't need to use all the features. I've used an AV wireless transmitter but this is using 2.4GHz and this is interfering with the phone. That'll have to do for a while.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Surely there are wireless transmitters that operate outside the 2.4Ghz range? perhaps in UHF?

Advertisement