Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Earlsfort Terrace

Options
  • 18-04-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

Has been sold (or maybe just part of it????) to the government to expand the National Concert Hall
    The planned €100m redevelopment of the National Concert Hall has moved a step closer today following the Government's approval for the purchase of a site adjacent to the existing facility.

The move paves the way for a new concert hall to be constructed on the site of the former UCD medicine and engineering faculties on Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin city centre.

Arts Minister John O'Donoghue says the new 2,000-seater facility will be built under a public-private partnership.

The existing auditorium will also be retained for use a rehearsal area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I wonder how much it went for...anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Scraggs wrote:
    I wonder how much it went for...anybody know?

around 42 million afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Not too shabby.. Who gets the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It goes into Hugh Brady's money room where he rolls around and lets coins stick to his butt and laughs as he flicks them off onto the faces of orphans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

€42million and another €16million from the govt for relocation costs. Presumabley most of it's going on the health sci extension and the eng stuff due to be put in near richview on the old phillips site, I think they paid €20million for that site a couple of years ago come to think of it...

I'll miss the Terrace, it has it's charms, but I'm looking forward to using lots of swish new stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

around 42 million afaik

thats cheap.as its a prime location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

To be honest I'll be glad to be shot of the place, it's not a nice place to be in or navigate around. Give me Belfield any day. Granted it does grow on you, like a wart, and I will miss it a bit. Still it's good that it's going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Heh. When my parents were in UCD, they were among many who campaigned against the proposed relocation to Belfield.

More than 40 years later, the transfer is finally complete.

Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

UCD don't like to rush things, y'know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I'll mis the stairs where, if you go left, you hit wa wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Its crazy having it outside belfield when there is so much space to spare in Belfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If the Terrace wasn't as run down as it is and lacking basic facilities, I'd prefer not to be moving out to Belfield! Great having our own little place. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

dajaffa wrote:
    I'll mis the stairs where, if you go left, you hit wa wall...
    It was great laughing at the poor souls who turned the wrong way, and then had to return ignominously down!:p

I think I'll miss it as an outpost in town whenever I need to access a computer. I'm glad they deciding to sell it to the government instead of a pirvate consortium as Dr. Brady might easily have decided. When will the Philips buiding be finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm in 2nd Eng and will eat my shoes if we're out of ET before I graduate (if I graduate....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

You'd better find some good recipies because the NCH take over the whole building at the end of this year!

I'm tellin ye, there will be no shoe sandwiches for me!

We had a talk today, and apparently the plan is to be totally out of ET by 1st September 2007. UCD are apparently not going to renew insurance after that date....."But things could get changed around....":)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think they shoulda kept ET. At least it's a listed structure and its close to Newman House, the original college church and some other historially important buildings in UCD's history. If Trinners were to move out of front square there'd be uproar.

Apparently it's just a pain in the hole having one Eng department separated from the rest. (Well, Biosystems as well). Also, the building was never meant to be used for this purpose. A new purpose-built Civil Eng building is just what the doctor ordered IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Originally they intended to make the engineering building into a W- shape, rayther than the current U-shape in order to facillitate the al the civils (and the 3 or 4 biosystems engineers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah at the moment its shaped like a H (rotated 180 degrees), and they were meant to build one more wing onto it so that it would come out as far as Daedulus. But the the government decided not to give them the money for it (even though they had said they would)...and there wasnt much they could do about it as they'd already moved out of Merrion Street (Government was very eager to get all the engineers out of there - can think why :D )

Advertisement