Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical

Options
  • 18-04-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. how would i go about finding the electricians union so to speak. the likes of reci? but i dont know any others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

reci isn't a union.they oversee standards in the electrical industry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ye well i didnt know what exactly it was. i need to find out which company oversees a guy that did my house. just checked google with a search for his name and came up with nada

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

If he is registered to issue a cert for ESB connection he can only be with RECI - reci.ie or the ECSSA - ecssa.ie, i think there are lists on both web-sites of there members. If he is not registered with either of these i dont think he is "certified" to get the ESB out and more than likely there is no regulatory body you can contact that can deal with your complaints

well he did get esb out and signed the forms etc so thats something. builders week is a pain

Then he can only be with either of these two bodies - the only other way to get an ESB cert is get an independant inspector out but that costs about €400+ vat and they nearly always fail the installation first time.

• Advertisement

I have done a search but cant seem to see him on either site. can i just email them and ask ?

excellent i rang reci and he is a member cheers lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Was your house a rewire? Or a new house you built yourself? What exactly was the problem?

brand new house bought from the plans.

numerous probs.

tv point in wrong place.

power shower trips every time u turn it on.

no landing light (fixed now)

extra phone point sockets wiring under floor boards and not louped from main socket to extra sockets. nightmare tbh. house obviously wasnt tested before he left

reci wont do anything with tvs and phones or disputes over money but they'll take a look if you cant deal with the sparkie direct

• Advertisement

Yeah RECI would only really be interested in electrical faults like the Shower problem. Your sparkie would be suppose to check the installation with meters- to check earth leakage, trip times and loadings etc etc, then he puts his readings on the cert and sends it on its merry way. No one else will test the installation. Once the cert is complete and the ESB are in the mood then they come out and install meter and connect up house to grid.
    Only on the rare occasion and its rare would RECI inspect the work of your electrician. And they would just pick out one of his certs at random and if that particular job was some where handy ie. close to your sparkies office/base then they would go and just check to make sure he was keeping to the standards.
    In the vast majority of cases the electrical installation would never be tested by anyone other than the sparky and even then they might not be checked.

so are you saying there is nothnig i can do unless i go other ways...

If owe him money then hold it. I would probably call him and say you were on to RECI and are unhappy about the shower as you fear being fried. Unless he can come back and sort the snags then you will report the faults to RECI.

Chance's are he wont want RECI all over his work especially if he is a little lax on safety and tidiness. If you were to report the fault they would go back over his previous jobs and he really wont want the grief.

He should be able to run a feed to your extra phone points and fix shower but moving an existing TV point can be messy - ie wall chasing, dust, damaged plaster etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Did you get on to the builder about it? How come these things didn't come up in your snag list?

well we couldnt check the phone line because eircom jus connected it last week. everything else was on the list bar the shower

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Well in all fairness, your issue is with the builder then, innit!

How is it with the builder. Its with the electrician thats the only person who can fix it. Any way i got in touch with RECI and everything seems to be ticking along nicely.

if(it could be the wiring though) it's a faulty shower the spark will just tell the plumber or builder but won't actually fix it .it's a replacement/warranty repair not a wiring fault.

hi dave its not the shower cause I have had the builder around about it. Hence why i am contacting the sparks

Advertisement