Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got clearwire. need to know a few things

• 18-04-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

hi all. just got clearwire. live in stillorgan and dont have a phone line so seemed the best option. now i need to know a few things;

there is no documentation in the box, so is there much to setting up clearwire, if im using my own wireless router along with it?

what is the cap, they dont speicfy on line ( i have the clear 2x package i think)

i have searched for posts on them here and i have seen they are notorious for port blocking.is there anything else i should know??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

plug pc network card into it first and see if it works with 1 pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

hi im down the road in deansgrange.

i had clearwire and the only advice i'd give you is that you should leave them instantly should you experience well below par service I experienced. Was only really good for browsing the web and even that was a bit slow.

I'm on metro (no phone line either) now and although im paying for a 3mb connection i get on average about 200-250k downloads so it's decent enough.

I hope clearwire works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

are metro the name of a service provider??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fguihen wrote:
    are metro the name of a service provider??

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

@fguihen:
    As regards the cap, I'm also on the 2Mbps service. My service was cut off almost completely 2 weeks ago. It went from 150-200 KB/ps down to 1-3 KB/ps, and was like this for over a week. Eventually I rang them after 4 days, and asked them what the hell.
    They told me I had exceeded my monthly cap by 800 Mb the month before, so as such, my connection was automatically reduced in service for a week until the system reset itself. I said this was ridiculous and nothing whatsoever had ever een said about this when I signed up. I even sent them emails from the original sales agen who said to me in writing that the cap wasn't strict and I had nothing to worry about. However, the agent on the phone said to me there was nothing she could do and that I would have to said 3 more days until the system reset itself.
    Sure enough, 4 days later, my speeds returned to normal, with no apology, explanation, or credit for an entire week's unusable service.
    Ever since then, they have once again begun to block all non-standard ftp ports (Anything other than port 21). Also, all p2p traffic is blocked, VoIP is unusable, and online gaming is impossible.
    Overall, this connection is the biggest piece of crap I have ever come across in my life! If you're looing for a highly expensive product which allows you to do nothing whatsoever bar browsing the internet (And even on this point, ping times range from 30 ms - 4500 ms, so don't expect much there either!!), then by all means go for it. If on the other hand, you're looking for a broadband service, then take my advice:

CANCEL IMMEDIATELY!! ClearWIRE are the biggest bunch of cowboys ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

DEpends on the wireless router, I too have clearwire I tried a Belkin Pre N router with my connection and it worked grand first time. Feck all setting up to do, (BTW if u need a hand give me a PM). I find clearwire a lot better than IBB, all I need it is for college work, downloading files checking email stuff like that. TBH im glad clearwire have implemented measures to ensure parity amoungst users because that was IBB's downfall, they allowed too many users to do what they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bbcus

I have Clearwire also in Stillorgan.

Fist of all plug your lead into your Wireless Router, check for any wireless security settings....When it is working,,,make sure you secure your network.

It works....I had C**P Ripwave and it was useless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

So had I one upon a time (S**twave) and thats why im glad Clearwire has stopped people from abusing bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

got it sorted. problem was my router was working at 100mbps, where as the clear wire reciever works at only 10mbps.
    i only have used it for one night but i find it ok. its not broadband speeds, but i did get download speeds up to 120kbps. not bad at all. we'l wait and see if they keep me happy.....

Advertisement