Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get speaker and component cables?

• 18-04-2006 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I need to get some speaker cable so I can move my surround sound speakers further away around the room but not sure of a good online site to get them from. Any reccomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

maplins have speaker cable, and you can walk in and pick it up. check the website for prices first - you can ring the store to check availability.

Just be careful, some of the prices are per meter and are outrageous - electricity is electricity - buy a cheap 20m roll - don't get conned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Cool, thanks pH

Erm... forgive my ignorance but the speaker cable is the one that will join the speaker to my amplifier and is currently a black cable and within it are red and black wirings. Would this be it?

That looks like the expensive stuff! - I think you're looking at 22.00 per M!

First, what sort of connectors do you have? Presuming you've got one of these all in one type systems with moulded connectors on either end:

Snip your current cable in the middle (or somewhere at appropriate lenghts where the joins won't be visible)

'extend' the cable by adding in a bit of the new cable - use crimp connectors, it won't look pretty but it will work, so make sure the crimps are hidden.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=44096&doy=18m4&QV=P

Unless you've got huge serious speakers and an amp, buy 20m of this
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=47&doy=18m4&QV=P

Polarity DOES matter, so you have to make sure in your rejoining that the red stays connected to the red and the black to the black

Hi Ph, thanks for the reply, I appreciate your patience. I recently bought a projector and an amplifier to replace my all in one 5.1 surround sound (since the amp will now allow me to plug everything into it and use the surround sound :D ).

Here is a pic of the rear of the amp that I bought. I hope to get some cable that will plug into the speakers section (right) of the amp and the other end into my speakers

• Advertisement

Well any wire should connect to the back of your Yammy (I have it's older brother the 750 myself) It either gets held by the spring clips or screwed onto the binding post.

The question is will the Yamaha drive your old speakers? Are they rated for its power output. What sort of speakers do you have and what sort of connectors have they? Are the wires moulded to the speakers or do the speakers have bare wire connectors?

If the speakers have bare wire connectors then just cut appropriate lengths of the wire I linked to, strip off about 2cm of the coating each end and connect up.

Good question, I had embarrassingly assumed that any speaker set would work with the amp. They're some old-ish set that I can't find on Google made by Bush. One of those all in one packages that only allows surround sound with the DVD player :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi all,

I found 2 places on the interweb for buying cables and interconnects. So you might get a better cable for the same money you'd spend in Maplin or other Retail shops.

One of the places is in Ireland and so delivery is cheap and free in some cases.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51221558#post51221558

Regards

Q

Advertisement