Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotation For CMS

Options
  • 18-04-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have been asked for a quotation for doing a similar site to myhome.ie (i.e. set up the site and write a CMS).

I have done some projects with php before but have never had to do up a quotation for a third party.

How much do you recon something like this is worth?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

well if its done well and secure, a few thousand,

dont undersell yourself. if you can do the work good and well. then it can be worth a lot of money.

but also remember that you might be as well using a premade cms

www.opensourcecms.com

and charging for installation, design and maintenance. rather than build a custom solution

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

If you use joomla and hotproperty you will be up and running in no time.. then its just a case of customising / hacking the core and creating a nice template.
    Joomla is ceratinly teh way to go.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Joomla is horrible if you ask me, over kill and too static as your restricted by the template and there is too much in the admin panel to do a simple thing...keep a website updated.

If your capable of writing your own CMS then do it. You'll feel more comfortable with it and of course the PHP/MYSQL code will be reusable for future projects.

Joomla is horrible if you ask me, over kill and too static as your restricted by the template a

I see where you are coming from..

but you are in no way restricted by the templating system - of course you will see most of the joomla websites all look the same and perhaps you are referring to this.. but the tools are there and with a bit of cop on you can make it look however you like (from my experience anyhow)
    too much in the admin panel to do a simple thing...keep a website updated.

depends on what you want to keep updated... if its just a bit of news ok... then create your own thing .
    but if its news, property listing, gallery, and newletter subscribers etc then you have o/s cms systems available that have many plugins that will help you along your way.. and i stress help you along your way.. if you just use as is then it will become another mee too website

about the admin interface if im updating the site its not a problem but for a client i just use a few display:hidden div's and in 20 minutes you have a clean looking interface

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

where is the restriction in the template

if you use someone else's template yes,

but joomla uses nice drop in code to place , left, right, content, header anywhere you want.

joomla is one hell of a cms, and the reason the admin side is overkill is because joomla has soo much to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

where is the restriction in the template

the overall look doesn't deviate much from page to page, i would call that a restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If your capable of writing your own CMS then do it. You'll feel more comfortable with it and of course the PHP/MYSQL code will be reusable for future projects.
    This is a key strategic point. It's worthwhile deciding where you want to go with your business.

If it's just about money, there's plenty of money to be made downloading, customising, and maintaining prefabricated foss systems, but there's more money to be made if you become capable of providing features not readily available in a download, even with plugins and some customisation.

Can you give your customer an edge over what a downloader/customiser can provide? It's a hard question to answer, because the fosssphere is growing ever more powerful. If you aren't providing something above and beyond, is it fair to supply a system which really just makes it harder for the customer to switch supplier?

Personally I choose customers based on their suitability for my strategic roadmap, which is geared toward building the capacity to create my own inovative portals on a foss platform, so Rollos way is my way. An alternative route is to stick with the downloading and customising, build the business and hire in experts later for the more lucrative work, but that wouldn't suit me as I love designing and coding too much.

In any case you have to give each customer a solution that genuinely suits their needs.

the overall look doesn't deviate much from page to page, i would call that a restriction

it can deviate as much as you like - you do realise that different templates/layouts can be assigned to different sections?

for reference the below does not look like it they were very restricted
    http://www.porsche.com.br
    many others like that out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Have you ever even tried Joomla? From the way your talking it seems not.

Joomla is a VERY powerful CMS and with the soon-to-be-released version 1.5 it is will be even more powerful while holding onto simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hey,

I have been asked for a quotation for doing a similar site to myhome.ie (i.e. set up the site and write a CMS).

I have done some projects with php before but have never had to do up a quotation for a third party.

How much do you recon something like this is worth?

Thanks
    sketch out it out in reasonable detail and work out how long it will take
    come up with an hourly charge and work out a cost from there

also make it generic as possible with the aim of selling it again and again
    this could be a nice money spinner for you if designed correct at the start

Just a quick one, whats the difference between mambo and joomla - did one rip the other one off or are they just versions of the same thing as their admin screens are really similar - which one is best?
    I was thinking of building my own CMS but these look really nice - and if the porche website is anything to go by pretty flexible too

• Advertisement

Just a quick one, whats the difference between mambo and joomla - did one rip the other one off or are they just versions of the same thing as their admin screens are really similar - which one is best?
    I was thinking of building my own CMS but these look really nice - and if the porche website is anything to go by pretty flexible too

About 6 months ago the mambo team left the project because of politics... they set up the joomla project using mambo as a start they are now driving it in teh direction they want and with the freedom they wanted also

heres one account of what happened:

http://source.mambo-foundation.org/view/news/In_the_News/The_Truth_About_Mambo_and_Joomla/

for the moment they are still similar, however with the next releases the architecture will begin to differ greatly (obviously)

Which is better? you be the judge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

About 6 months ago the mambo team left the project because of politics... they set up the joomla project using mambo as a start they are now driving it in teh direction they want and with the freedom they wanted also

heres one account of what happened:

http://source.mambo-foundation.org/view/news/In_the_News/The_Truth_About_Mambo_and_Joomla/

for the moment they are still similar, however with the next releases the architecture will begin to differ greatly (obviously)

Which is better? you be the judge!
    Similar to the postnuke team who split off to do xaraya, though the mambo/joomla split looks like it was over corporate control, copyright ownership, and licensing issues rater than the innovation roadmap. It looks like joomla is available under the gpl only, while mambo is available under a clatter of osi licences including the gpl. How will the different roadmaps affect usability I wonder, anyone tried both?

The OP, you mentioned being asked to write a cms. In any event charge a rate commensurate with your skills. As you've done a few similar sites before you have an idea of the time required, multiply that by your hourly rate.

Aside from the development cost, define your support service and work out a periodic fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Heres a good link about the mambo/joomla situation:
    http://dev.joomla.org/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,33/p,79/

I can't see how Joomla can't do everything you need. The only thing I found it was lacking was access control but I you can purchase JBAM for that. I have used it - it works a perfectly. You could just write new components (or plugins for version 1.5) to add any features that are not currently in it already.

I have used both Mambo and Joomla - mambo up to 4.5.3 and then made the switch to Joomla. The joomla team seem alot more proactive with many more releases and security fixes. Also version 1.5 (currently in Beta version) is coming soon and that is where the fun will begin.

Advertisement