Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat / Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 18-04-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Yes, it is a 'which one is better' thread. I do apologise, but I am torn. I'm looking at a '99/'00 model of each as I've got a budget of €6500.

I love the VW badge, but obviously a Skoda is pretty much a VW in everything bar name. The only difference that has been brought to my attention is that there is apparently more leg room in the Skoda?!

Btw, I'm looking at the 1.9tdi model in each.

Who wins, you decide :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about a 00 Seat Toledo TDI? I have a silver one with 64,000 miles, asking €6,950.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

connundrum wrote:
    Yes, it is a 'which one is better' thread. I do apologise, but I am torn. I'm looking at a '99/'00 model of each as I've got a budget of €6500.

I love the VW badge, but obviously a Skoda is pretty much a VW in everything bar name. The only difference that has been brought to my attention is that there is apparently more leg room in the Skoda?!

Btw, I'm looking at the 1.9tdi model in each.
    like all 1.9tdi,very good pickup
    Who wins, you decide :D
    Iwould say scoda octivia 1.9tdi as l had a 02 estate one,got 530 out of tank and travel eu with it
    never had any probs with
    as you say same as vw ,only scoda badge,and alot of vw part are off self of seat/scoda as they fit vw and audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

VW own Skoda, there is a few difference in them, more or less the Skoda is the baseline model of the VW. I had a 00 1,9Tdi Passat 90Bhp and was great to drive, got over 550 milage form a full tank. Only thing was it lacked a small bit of power so Ihave just swapped it for a 02 130Bhp Passat and the extra 40Bhp is great. Also got the highline version and it is so comfy inside. On a long drive in the baseline it would start to get abit uncomfy which I feel you would have the same problem in the Skoda

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

AFAIK the Octavia is built on the old Golf platform and I've been in an 05 Octavia and own an 03 Passat (and an 00 prior to that - both TDI) and there is way more room in the Passat. A Superb is a longer wheelbase Passat and worth considering. If you're getting both around the same price I'd say get the Passat Comfortline.

No badge snobbery just a nicer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Octavia uses the same platform as the MkIV VW Golf/Bora/Seat Toledo/Leon/Audi A3, the Passat uses a different platform. The Octavia may be slightly more practical as it is a hatchback but the Passat is still bigger in dimension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've driven both and the Passat imo is much more comfortable and has slightly more 'solid' feel. However, from a practical point of view I don't think is really that much difference between them. Given the choice I'd buy a Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I have an 00 octavia, my brother has a 02 Passat. The Passat is MUCH roomier inside, but the Octavia has a bigger boot. The passat feels nicer and has a better ride (probably due to its longer wheelbase). It is not worth the premium, though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who believe the octavia is a passat in disguise.
    As some have said it is really a Golf with a boot.
    The superb is closer to the Passat.
    For the record go with the passat,a lot more room than octavia ,plus you can get the wickedly quick 110 and 130 bhp models,plus despite what some claim the built quality and solid feel just is not as evident in the skodas compared to the VW.
    Will always be worth more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Efioanaes wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who believe the octavia is a passat in disguise.
    As some have said it is really a Golf with a boot.
    The superb is closer to the Passat.
    For the record go with the passat,a lot more room than octavia ,plus you can get the wickedly quick 110 and 130 bhp models,plus despite what some claim the built quality and solid feel just is not as evident in the skodas compared to the VW.
    Will always be worth more too.
    Octivia is based in bora body,check with vw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There is a small plug in dongle you can get for about €55 that plugs into the obd connector and boosts power by about 20bhp on all these models. I'll post the link soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

connundrum wrote:
    I'm looking at a '99/'00 model of each as I've got a budget of €6500

I'd be very surprised if both are about the same price, even a '99 Passat compared to a lower mileage '00 Octavia

The Passat is more car and if you can get it within your budget I'd go for it

Octivia is based in bora body,check with vw

True,and the Bora is a Golf with a boot,same thing isnt it.
    I was referring to the chasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    There is a small plug in dongle you can get for about €55 that plugs into the obd connector and boosts power by about 20bhp on all these models. I'll post the link soon.
    as promised

http://www.autobitz.net/tdipd.html

check ebay also...they're a lot cheaper on there

Nice one Lex,does this actually work?
    Have you tried it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Efioanaes wrote:
    Nobody here suggested that.
    Efioanaes wrote:
    I agree the Skoda does not feel as solid as the VW, and the passat has more interior space. I disagree about the build quality - if pushed I would say the Skoda is better assembled than the VW (comparing Golf to Octavia here).
    Also, the Octavia has a bigger boot, which might suit the OP better - for e.g. no kids but a couple of dogs. In estate form, the Passat and the Octavia are about the same, boot wise.

If the OP has found 00 passats and Octavias to be the same price, I think that suggests that the passat does not hold its value as well as the Octavia. If they are the same price, the Passat is the better deal by far.

Another car worth a look is the Skoda Superb. Longer wheelbase than the passat, more kit, feels every bit as solid and is exceptional value for money.

Advertisement