Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much Protein do you eat a day?

• 18-04-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, after a thread in after hours I was very surprised to see how strict a few people are with their diet with respect to animal products, not just meat. Most vegetarians I know are not strict with themselves at all and eat fish or use milk without any guilt. People here take it more seriously and I would listen to their advice.

I was just wondering are any of you guys into like weight lifting and how you suppliment your protein intake. It is recommended that I eat about 1.5-2 grams of protein a day for every Kg I weigh when doing weight training.

This is quite tough to do and I was wondering roughly how much protein you eat a day, what foods/ suppliments in particular you use and are they low in fat.

thanks for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegeta wrote:
    Hey all, after a thread in after hours I was very surprised to see how strict a few people are with their diet with respect to animal products, not just meat. Most vegetarians I know are not strict with themselves at all and eat fish or use milk without any guilt. People here take it more seriously and I would listen to their advice.
    You would be suprised then by the amount of food stuffs we must exclude from our diets. :)
    If somebody eats fish they are not a vegetarian, they are what is called a pescatarian.
    I was just wondering are any of you guys into like weight lifting and how you suppliment your protein intake. It is recommended that I eat about 1.5-2 grams of protein a day for every Kg I weigh when doing weight training.
    This is quite tough to do and I was wondering roughly how much protein you eat a day, what foods/ suppliments in particular you use and are they low in fat.

thanks for the help
    I am not into weight lifting, used to pump the irons etc when I played every sport under the sun.
    I will refer you to one of the threads I made on the creation of this forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290778

Protein:Many People believe that vegetarian and particularly vegan diets cannot
    possibly provide sufficient protein.This is an old wives' tale.
    Eight essential amino acids are needed to make a complete protein.Dairy products,eggs and
    soya products(tofu,tempeh,soya drinks and desserts)all provide complete protein in themselves.

Combining whole grains(unrefined wheat,rye,millet,barlet,spelt,rice,quinoa)
    with pulses(beans,peas,lentils)and supplementing with small amounts of nuts and seeds also
    provides plenty of protein.All the essential amino acids are found in combinations
    such as beans on toast,lentil curry with brown rice,musli with milk,hummus made from chickpeas
    and sesame tahini,peanut butter sandwiches made from wholemeal bread.It isn't even necessary to combine different food types at the samee meal since our bodies can store amino acids for later use.

As with meat-eaters,it is important(and normal) for vegetarians to base their eating pattern
    on a wide variety of high quality foods.

Also, I would like to point quorn out to you. It is a similar tasting vegetarian substitute for meat.
    Here is a Protein fact sheet for Quorn, one of the brands of Quorn, compared with meat.
    http://www.quorn.us/healthpro/protein.htm

There is less fat (much less in fat's and sat fat's case), saturated fat and calories with quorn.

There is very little problem getting enough protein. It's one of the easiest things.
    If you have questions about how much protein are in things above or anything, just ask and i'll help out.

I have no problem eating protien have some form or other with every meal.
    I wonder are you weight lifting to body build?Don't those lads have to use whey supplements anyway and doesn't their health suffer in the long term for putting such strain on their bodys?
    I weightlift casually, to help my body composition and strength my bones to prevent osteoporosis in later life. I eat complex carbs before I excersise to give me energy for my workout and I eat protien with an 1 hour and half of finishing, I believe in resistance excersising it is the timing of your protien consumption that is important.
    AFAIK Resistance excercise doesn't increase the amount of protien you need, because its not like endurance excersize where the muscles release protiens to be burned for energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Vegeta wrote:

thanks for the help
    I just recomended on another tread that weightlifters should check out the website charliesgym.com
    The guy only eats raw vegan food and is a weightlifter.

Advertisement