Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need web hosting advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Looks absolutely fine.

I've dealt with them a few times, and they seem like a decent company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Looks absolutely fine.

I've dealt with them a few times, and they seem like a decent company.

I spoke to a guy there and he was very helpful. I just don't really know what to look for and want to avoid purchasing something that won't do the job in the long run.

What they offer - MySQL, PHP, Perl etc - should cover all your needs.

Unless you are sharing out movies or mp3s, it's extremely unlikely you will use 999 megs space or 99 gigs transfer a month.

Can you give me an idea of the website you will be creating - as in, will it be busy or quietish? Will it contain a lot of processing, or is it a basic website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It would be a shop window type site showcasing my products and services, not massively busy. I just bought it off them now. Sorted.

By the way Doleman, I've been wondering what that word below your name is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

People stop hijacking the thread - the OP wants advice re:hosting - not a critique on the website of who he maybe using - all useless posts are being deleted

• Advertisement

frobisher wrote:
    It would be a shop window type site showcasing my products and services, not massively busy. I just bought it off them now. Sorted.

By the way Doleman, I've been wondering what that word below your name is?

For a shop type website, you'll be grand!

Regarding my TAFKAJV message... I'll give you a hint... I'm not a King, Queen, or Princess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

frobisher wrote:
    Job done. If you run into problems or when it comes to renewal next year it's worth checking the market again. Also for the benefit of interested readers other than the op, here's my advice:

Aside from what the provider lists as the features of a particular package, there are other things to consider which they may not go into detail on in their marketing bumf.

I always check the tech support area of a hosting providers site and assess that. If little effort has been made there to I tend to be put off. I'm not looking for application development support, but good docs on using their setup, good system administration (uptime, backups etc), flexibility (php.ini access etc), cpu, transfer, and diskspace at the right price, and billing options (choose spam filtering per domain or per mailbox etc).

Some of these make a big difference when you're setting up your site, it's better if they're done well.

Now that you are set up, keep an eye on on your catch-all email account. If you don't clear it out it fills up with spam and you can be charged handsomely for the extra disk space, as had happened a customer I recently took over. Also make a regular copy of your data, don't depend on the providers backup and restore procedure.

(ps apologies for the off-topic stuff earlier)

Advertisement