Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoothie Yogurt

• 18-04-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Is there some particular type or brand of frozen yogurt used by Smoothie making places (like Jump etc.)? I've been getting a lot of them recently and its really beginning to hit my wallet so I'd like to try making them myself.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive only seen the frozen yoghuts in flavoured forms in supermarkets. I use a low fat probiotic one such as Actavia. I throw a few ice cubes in as well so its lovely and chilled. I hate when you get a smoothie and its not completly chilled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've been looking for this myself for a while, as i've been using natural youghart(sp) and ice as a replacement. I know somebody who works in retail who will soon be getting some of the plain frozen stuff in with a bit of luck. I'll let you know if it happens, and maybe who the supplier is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for the replies :). Do you freeze the yogurt or just throw it in?

The type they use at one smoothie place I go to is frozen natural yogurt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

JohnK wrote:
    Thanks for the replies :). Do you freeze the yogurt or just throw it in?
    I throw it in from the fridge. The ice is what makes the difference tho'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You don't have to freeze anything. Put two cups of yogurt into a whizzer with half a cup of orange or apple juice and a handful of washed strawberries, and add sugar or honey to taste (try a dessert spoon first and add or subtract when you've whizzed). Whizz it all up together, pour and drink.

If you want to keep it, you can make larger amounts and freeze it in portions, then bring it to work in a flask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

The type they use at one smoothie place I go to is frozen natural yogurt

I triesd this and the yoghurt came out like a rock. What brand do they use do you know?

When you freeze the smoothie off, does it not split? Thats a fantastic tip! Im going to do that.
    Ive got a juicer at home so it will be uber fresh.
    I use frozen fruit in mine to chill it down. I cant rem but its either Aldi or Lidl...think its Lidl....do bags of frozen raspberries which are really cheap and totally delicious. Takes the wateriness of the cubes out of the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Dellgirl2 wrote:
    I triesd this and the yoghurt came out like a rock.

I've not done this myself but I use the technique to make sorbets, add a half a shot of vodka or gin to the yoghurt and mix it in well, this will stop the yoghurt from going completely hard and keep it more of an ice cream consistency.
    Reason it works is that the addition of the alcohol raises the freezing point of the water etc in the mix.

Advertisement