Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

bnt wrote: »
    Walk The Line (Ch4 21:00): the Johnny Cash biopic with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. I haven't seen it, but it won an award ...

Watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Mean Streets with Harvel Keitel & Robert De Niro, on BBC2 at 11.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The Commitments just started on Channel 4

Alicat wrote: »

The drummer is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I have seen this movie loads of times and never copped that was the Mansion House :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This might be a bit late, but: Channel 4, 23:25, Pan's Labyrinth. Won one Oscar, should have won more; 98% rating on Metacritic, described by Dr. Kermode as "the most important film of the last ten years". Seriously disturbing film, and I don't mean in a "horror movie" way, so be warned.

If you're up late tonight, I can recommend One Hour Photo (Ch,4 01:25). It's one of a pair of films (the other was Insomnia) that showed that Robin Williams could be taken seriously as an actor. This is possibly the most intense yet understated part he's ever played on screen.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Those of you with a keen interest in pop music....

The Ian Curtis biopic Control is on Film 4 @ 9.00pm tuesday night.

well worth a look,

Watch it!
    Walk the Line - I had recorded it, & finally got to re-watch it last night. It's still a class film! Joaquin Phoenix is really good. I've saved the recording as I want to watch it again! I'll probably end up buying it on DVD anyway.

Alicat wrote: »
    Another classic film, the soundtrack is great too!

Just noticed: Miller's Crossing is on tonight: TV3, 11PM. I think it's the only Coen Brothers film I haven't yet seen, but it's often cited as one of their best, which means it must be Really Something.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a general sort of heads up, Film24 who lurk on Channel 157 seem to have bought the rights to the Redemption/Salvation Films catalogue and are showing various titles, including stuff by Jean Rolllin and Jess Franco (ie pervy Spanish and Italian vampire flicks).

http://salvation-films.com/

One for the VCR: Dr. T and the Women, TV3. 12:10am Sunday night (Monday morning). I saw this and enjoyed it years ago, before I knew who Robert Altman was. It has Richard Gere as a Dallas gynaecologist: someone who thought he knew women inside and out (!), but is coming to realise that he has no clue at all. His wife (Farrah Fawcett) has a meltdown in a shopping mall, strips naked and jumps in a fountain. His daughter is getting married, but it's not going to be that simple. And then there are his staff and patients, who might not be of the same species ... :confused:

Two weeks with no posts? I blame Richard Gere ...

If anyone's bored this afternoon, try The Core (E4 14:30) - possibly the dumbest disaster thriller not made by Roland Emmerich, but still quite a ride. Ebert says:
    I have such an unreasonable affection for this movie, indeed, that it is only by slapping myself alongside the head and drinking black coffee that I can restrain myself from recommending it. It is only a notch down from "Congo," "Anaconda," "Lara Croft, Tomb Raider" and other films which those with too little taste think they have too much taste to enjoy.

Arlington Road is on tonight, BBC1 23:40. I think I've mentioned it in this thread before. One of the truly great conspiracy thrillers, and strangely prescient.

BBC Four screen The Ghost and the Darkness Monday 10.30

Adventure drama based on the true story of the confrontation between two Europeans and a pair of lions that obstructed the progress of a railway line in East Africa during the 1890s. When the labourers become so frightened by recurring lion attacks at their campsite that they are reluctant to continue to work, an engineer and a big-game hunter join forces in an attempt to outwit the predators.

ITV 4 have Conan the Librarian on at 10.05 Monday.

Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey

Carl Dryers 1932 atmospheric horror drama Film24 tonight

If any of you haven't seen Waterworld, you owe it to yourself: TG4, 22:00 tonight. It cost a lot of money, and was called a flop, but Costner and co. left it all up there on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Waterworld is a great movie, could never understand why it got so much flak especially when the enviromental implications are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

'Cross of iron' rte one tonight, 1.05 top notch ww2 film:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Circle of Friends 10.30pm tonight TV3

The Hours 9.15pm tonight TG4

Die Hard 4.0 9.30pm tonight RTE 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Patton followed by Touch of Evil from 9pm on Sky Movies Classics, Inside Man 10.45 ITV2, Brick followed by Talk to Her from 11pm on Film 4 (all tonight) So little time, so many good movies. Thank Crunchie for Sky+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

marwelie wrote: »
    Patton followed by Touch of Evil from 9pm on Sky Movies Classics, Inside Man 10.45 ITV2, Brick followed by Talk to Her from 11pm on Film 4 (all tonight) So little time, so many good movies. Thank Crunchie for Sky+

Crunchie are sponsoring sky+!?? But just to say that Brick is a great movie definite recommendation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Universal Soldier - TV3 - 9pm.

:cool:

RTE1, 23:55: The War of the Roses. One for lovers of Black Comedy. :cool:

Not a reccomendation really, but Horror Channel has the imfamous Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus (2009)
    Scientists discover two gigantic prehistoric sea creatures frozen at the bottom of the ocean. An unforeseen accident revives the two leviathans who begin causing destruction along the Californian coast. The only way to stop their rampage is to find a way to goad them into destroying each other. Monster thriller, starring Deborah Gibson and Lorenzo Lamas

Horror Channel 10:55pm-12:50am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

bnt wrote: »
    RTE1, 23:55: The War of the Roses. One for lovers of Black Comedy. :cool:
    Excellent film that. Some of the best action sequences ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

mike65 wrote: »
    BBC Four screen The Ghost and the Darkness Monday 10.30

Adventure drama based on the true story of the confrontation between two Europeans and a pair of lions that obstructed the progress of a railway line in East Africa during the 1890s. When the labourers become so frightened by recurring lion attacks at their campsite that they are reluctant to continue to work, an engineer and a big-game hunter join forces in an attempt to outwit the predators.

Like this film alot , well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Chinatown at 8 followed by The French Connection at 10.15pm, both on Sky Movies Modern Greats tonight

The Devil Dared Me To (2007) not a horror movie, but a knockabout black comedy. Quite good bloody fun (the trailer gives you a hint)

ITV4 Sunday, May 16th, 2010 1:25am to 2:50am
    Fearless daredevil Randy Cambell dreams of achieving the kind of fame that eluded his late father and sets out to become New Zealand's greatest stuntman. Along the way he joins up with a travelling misfit stunt team, is employed by the devious Dick Johansonson, and meets the love of his life, the one-legged female daredevil Tracy 'Tragedy' Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEafcIYubk

Charley Varrick (1973) Don Siegels minor classic

ITV1 London Saturday, May 15th, 2010 12:50am to 2:45am
    Tense thriller. Small-time crook Charley Varrick robs a bank in New Mexico, unaware that it is used by the Mafia to launder money. Despite his better judgement, he is persuaded by his partner to keep the cash - but his fears of being pursued by a hitman are soon realised. Based on the novel The Looters by John Reese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

National Lampoon's Animal House on at 1am on TV3. Worth looking for if only for John Belushi's classic encounter with a hippy guitar player at a house part.. The look was priceless.

• Advertisement

The Searchers.

Sky Movies Classic. On now, one of the best westerns of all time.

Advertisement