Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mike65 wrote: »
    This is not so much a recommended as a heads up for a very rare screening - Michael Ritchies version of The Island (1980) from the Peter (Jaws) Benchley airport page-turner. Its possibly the low point of several careers but not to be missed if you like old school trashy violence and melodrama

What channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry ITV4 Monday, November 8th, 2010 11:00pm to 1:20am, Day of the Dead follows it, so right gory Monday night/Tueaday morning on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Training Day on Sky One, 11PM tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

The Way of the Dragon is on tonight at 10 on Syfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

v for vendetta is on TV3 tonight...

...at 3.10 in the morning !!!!

sweet jesus way to relegate a great film to the ass end of scheduling nowhere .

apparently take me out and americas got tallent is considered more important.

still for you insomniacs there you go.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

'Day of the dead' :):eek::) bbc 2..on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Watched it earlier.

Whoever played the lead zombie in that film probably deserved an Oscar.
    Anyways, excellent gore scenes.

In a similar vein: Escape From New York, RTE2, 00:15 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another classic on tonight: Escape From New York (1981), RTE Two 12:15am. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Or, if you fancy something more socially worthy, there's 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. , C4, 1am. I haven't seen it, but I hear it's powerful stuff about abortionists in 1980s Romania. Winner of the Palme d'Or at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

v for vendetta is on TV3 tonight...

...at 3.10 in the morning !!!!

sweet jesus way to relegate a great film to the ass end of scheduling nowhere .

apparently take me out and americas got tallent is considered more important.

still for you insomniacs there you go.

:)

It's on again tonight at 10 on Watch if you didn't manage to catch it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

bnt wrote: »
    Another classic on tonight: Escape From New York (1981), RTE Two 12:15am. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Or, if you fancy something more socially worthy, there's 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. , C4, 1am. I haven't seen it, but I hear it's powerful stuff about abortionists in 1980s Romania. Winner of the Palme d'Or at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.
    Watched Escape From New York, so only caught the last forty minutes of 4 Months.
    But it seemed very good indeed, will keep an eye out for it in future.

Don't miss this:

t95143d2qls.jpg

TCM, 21:00 tonight (repeated 01:20).

Seriously, don't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A trashy B movie guilty pleasure "Poison Ivy: The New Seduction" Horror channel at 10.55

The 1972 version of Solaris is on Film4 tonight at 12.40am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Brutal Aussie revenge flick The Horseman starts at 23.55 on the horror channel +1 tonight.Grim but excellent film.

Checking the schedules for Saturday night, I see Sky One has one of my favourite smart action movies on at 9PM: Demolition Man. The plot ... how do I describe this? A dangerous criminal (Wesley Snipes) and a maverick cop (Sly Stallone) are both sentenced to cryonic suspension, but when the criminal is accidentally woken in the year 2032, the future California cops are totally unable to deal with him, so they wake the cop up too, and lots of shiny things get broken. Before all that, the future was nice and safe, but as boring as heck; one cop (Sandra Bullock) has been reading too many stories about the exciting old times, so she gets caught up in the action, and you can guess where that goes. Brain-dead fun ... except for the sly social commentary about "Californication", or maybe the "Disneyfication" of society. Not everyone in the future is as keen on living in a sanitised bubble.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chasing Amy 00:15 RTE 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ great film!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Commando Ch4 at 22:55 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

connollys wrote: »
    Commando Ch4 at 22:55 tonight

Watching it. Funny **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Alien3, film4 9pm tonight (tue). Saw the end of Alien the other night so might as well record this one to watch later (thanks, desperate housewives!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

With an all German cast Oliver Hirschbiegel's staggering film charts , in chilling terms ,the last days of the Third Reich with probably the best ever portrait of Hitler in a film

( The Hitler You Tube parodie shots with added dialogue are from this film )

• Advertisement

It's definitely a night for staying in- luckily there are some good movies on!

Blue Velvet is on TCM at 9pm and 1.15am.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is on at 11pm on ITV2.
    Princess Mononoke is on at the strange hour of 4.20am on Channel 4.

If you're stuck indoors thanks to a little snow, you can hit Channel 4 at 1PM for Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes (1965). It's a comedy about the early days of aviation, the comedy often coming from "how the heck is that thing going to fly?" :pac:

I haven't seen Spider (2002) - BBC2 11:50PM - but a look at the credits has me interested: Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Gabriel Byrne, & Lynn Redgrave, directed by David Cronenberg. Just the thing for midnight on a Friday.

Spider isn't the only David Cronenberg film on tonight- A History of Violence is on More4 tonight at 10pm and 1am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Terminator 2 is starting now on Sky 1.

Best intro music EVA!!!!!

TG4, 12:10am: Big Night. I know it's late, but if you have a passion for food, this is one to watch. It's about an Italian restaurant that's not doing well, but they decide to have one last huge celebration in the hope of attracting a celebrity customer. Starring Stanley Tucci (who co-directed), Tony Shalhoub, Minnie Driver, Isabella Rossellini and Ian Holm - but once the "big night" gets going, the food is one of the stars too.

bignight3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

RTE 2 had a film called Angel-A on tonight. Almost over here but worth a watch if it's on again! Good romantic movie in French with subtitles!

EDIT:Actually the ending was a bit sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bad Santa is on TV3 next Tuesday - early reminder for all ;)

Triangle is on Syfy at 11.10 tonight- haven't seen it but it's supposed to be worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One of my all time favourite Christmas movies

bad-santa.jpg

bad_santa_video_release_unrated_version.jpg

And TV3 are showing it tomorrow night ;)

• Advertisement

Donnie Darko is on RTE2 tonight at 11.45.

Advertisement