Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Anyone stuck at home today? Channel 4 is showing a classic SF film, The Day The Earth Stood Still, at 12:20 PM. The poster isn't quite representative of the movie: there's also an anti-war message, quite a controversial thing to do at the height of McCarthyism. The Bernard Herrman score is also remarkable.

Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_1951.jpg
    Klaatu Barada Nikto!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Scream is on BBC 1 tonight at 11.15.

Best to watch it before the third sequel comes out and totally sullies the memory of this,a funny,extremely well paced and tension filled modern slasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Top notch Double Bill on tonite!.
    On Film 4.

The French Connection 9.00PM
    William Friedkin's gritty police drama portrays two tough New York City cops trying to intercept a huge heroin shipment coming from France. An interesting contrast is established between 'Popeye' Doyle, a short-tempered alcoholic bigot who is nevertheless a hard-working and dedicated police officer, and his nemesis Alain Charnier, a suave and urbane gentleman who is nevertheless a criminal and one of the largest drug suppliers of pure heroin to North America. During the surveillance and eventual bust, Friedkin provides one of the most gripping and memorable car chase sequences ever filmed.

The French Connection II 11PM
    New York narcotics detective Popeye Doyle follows the trail of the French connection smuggling ring to France where he teams up with the gendarmes to hunt down the ringleader.

Two great films ,not to be missed!.:)

http://www.channel4.com/tv-listings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Enemy at the gates is on RTE2 tonight @ 22:00.

Click is on TV3 tonight @ 22:50 ,not a bad film i think anyway.

And the brilliant Trading Places is on Film4 tonight @ 21:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Chungking Express is on tonight at 10 on Sky Arts 2 (sky channel 245- I didn't even know they showed films).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Click is on TV3 tonight @ 22:50 ,not a bad film i think anyway.

Bad rip off of It's A Wonderful Life. Watchable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Spider Man - 7:40pm Channel 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Tonight at 11:00 PM on UTV

Mad Max 2:The Road Warrior

mad_max_two_the_road_warrior.jpg

One of my favourite movies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Dark Knight is on TV3 at 9pm on 24th of April 2011

Team America on Film4 tonight @ 21:00 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Blues Brothers on ITV4 at 11.35 and +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

3 great movies on at 9 tonight.
    Dogma on film4, LA Confidential on rte 2, and the dark knight on TV3.

Leaning towards LA confidential, but it's a tough one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

Great movie! I must have watched it 5 times already and still have no idea what it's about ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United-The Busby Babes on BBC at 9pm.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Dark Knight is on TV3 at 9pm on 24th of April 2011

This seemed re-edited to me, anyone know if it was I didn't watch the whole film on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

War Of The Buttons starting on RTE1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Wind That Shakes the Barley on TV3 tonight at 9pm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Wind That Shakes the Barley on TV3 tonight at 9pm

Two very good films in a row from TV3,whats going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Early heads up for The Boys from Brazil (1978) All star cast in adaption of Ira Levin pulp classic about the plot to breed a generation of Hitler clones.

Monday, May 2nd, 2011 11:05pm to 1:05am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Parenthood (1989) with Steve Martin and Keanu Reeves is on now on UTV.

Never seen it but could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love that film:). Saw it loads of times.

Used to hate it but it definately a good one. Lot better then the new TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Feris Bueller's day Off - Film4 21:00
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - BBC3 22:00
    Casanova - BBC1 23:15

RTE Two, 11:40: Il Divo. A slightly dramatised biography of Giulio Andreotti, former Italian Prime Minister. The film won a load of awards; and if even a fraction of the events portrayed really happened, the guy was a monster with ties to the Mafia, and Berlusconi is a circus clown by comparison. The portrayal of Andreotti by Toni Servillo is scary - like a cross between Nosferatu and a hyena, in a tailored suit and big glasses. :eek:

The real Andreotti a.k.a. Beelzebub:

Belzebu.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

If you're stuck at home today, you can watch Robin and Marian (1976), about Robin Hood's later years: he's been to the Crusades and back, but he still has to deal with the Sheriff of Nottingham. With Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn ... and Ronnie Barker. :p
    Ch. 4, 1PM

PS: There's some Royal Wedding stuff on TV3, but RTE Two are showing The Patriot at 9PM tonight. If there's a more anti-British film to come out of Hollywood, I don't think I want to know. Stars Mel Gibson as a retired Australian American soldier, during the War of Independence, whose son is murdered by a British officer and decides to get revenge. I'm not recommending it, but if you've had it up to here with the Royal Wedding, this could be the antidote. :rolleyes:

Imagine a movie about The American War of Independence which might be considered anti-British, that's just mad!

The TV3 movie looks dreadful, not because it might be considered pro-British, it just looks terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lethal Weapon 1776 - entertaining in its own way.

Elmo wrote: »
    Imagine a movie about The American War of Independence which might be considered anti-British, that's just mad!
    I'm not following you. The film is not really about the American War of Independence. That's the setting, but the story is Mel and his vendetta against some particularly nasty Brits. The main baddie (Tavington) is supposedly based on a real British colonel (Tarleton), but the character's nastiness is exaggerated far beyond the original colonel's. He's like something out of a SAW film, in a red coat.

From IMDB: "Harrison Ford declined the lead role, feeling the script had boiled the Revolutionary War down to a "one-man's-revenge" melodrama." That's saying something, considering Ford's film CV includes e.g. Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

Saturday nite Sky 2. Brilliant movie about one mans struggle to avenge the death of his step brother at the hands of the chinese. Meanwhile he's been hunted by two relentless US Army agents, who have sworn to take him back for court martial, as he is also a Navy supersoldier.

Bloodsport!! starring Jean claude van damme!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Beats any Che Biopic you can think of!!

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    I'm not following you. The film is not really about the American War of Independence. That's the setting, but the story is Mel and his vendetta against some particularly nasty Brits. The main baddie (Tavington) is supposedly based on a real British colonel (Tarleton), but the character's nastiness is exaggerated far beyond the original colonel's. He's like something out of a SAW film, in a red coat.

The Patriot is as point out mainly an action film, which surrounds the War of Independence (I don't expect that the British would have come out looking like heroes in such a movie). Hollywood like to have a villain so you either have to have a very English accent or a German one. German works better. It's a Hollywood movie which I don't think takes History to seriously other than America had a war with Britain to gain independence let base a movie around that. However I don't think it is Anti-British, it's just a movie.

Advertisement