Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

A History of Violence RTE2 at 21.00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're in today, there's another chance to see Being There, (UTV, 12:55) with Peter Sellers in one of his last roles, and the most subtle. He plays a man who is not quite "there", and who has spent his life working in the garden of a rich industrialist. He is forced out in to the world after his benefactor dies, but what happens next is surprising: it's set in Washington DC, which is not quite part of the world itself; where everything is political, and style triumphs over substance every day. Watch out for the ending, which raises more questions than it answers. Ebert has a "Great Movies" review here, with spoilers.

Later: you can have more profound simple-mindedness from Forrest Gump (Sky1, 9PM); but I suspect I'll be watching The Kingdom (RTE2, 9PM), instead, since I haven't seen the latter. If I'm still awake later: The Hitcher (1986) (3e, midnight) - haven't seen that in years.

PS advance warning: Gran Torino is on RTE1 next Wednesday, 9:35PM. I didn't get to see this in the cinema, heard good things about it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Batman Begins UTV @ 21.55

Liam Neeson is good in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Blazing Saddles 02.00 RTE 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Forrest Gump is on Sky1 now :)

• Advertisement

The First Saw movie is starting on RTE2 now. If you didn't see it, well worth a watch.

Falling down is on TV3 tonight @ 23:00

BBC2, 13:40, Bringing Up Baby (1938). My favourite "screwball" comedy, with Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, ... and "Baby". :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

bnt wrote: »
    PS advance warning: Gran Torino is on RTE1 next Wednesday, 9:35PM. I didn't get to see this in the cinema, heard good things about it.

Bumped for tonight

BBC2 are obviously enjoying the screwball classics: today (1PM) they have His Girl Friday on today. This is one you might want to record, because it's so fast-paced and talky that you might want to pause it to catch your breath at some point. I don't have a recorder, and am still annoyed that I had to miss Holiday yesterday - one I haven't seen.

• Advertisement

Me again: BBC2, 11:50PM: The King of Comedy. This is almost a companion piece to Taxi Driver, with Martin Scorsese once again directing Robert De Niro as a disturbed individual, but this time his character is a wannabe standup comedian. If the idea of De Niro doing standup sounds a bit off ... well, it takes all sorts, I'm told ... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

bnt wrote: »
    Me again: BBC2, 11:50PM: The King of Comedy. This is almost a companion piece to Taxi Driver, with Martin Scorsese once again directing Robert De Niro as a disturbed individual, but this time his character is a wannabe standup comedian. If the idea of De Niro doing standup sounds a bit off ... well, it takes all sorts, I'm told ... :eek:

Woah this may be one of the most uncomfortably brilliant films i've ever watched. :D

The Day the Earth stood still on Ch4 @ 20.00 Very good.
    Dr. Helen Benson is summoned to a military facility with several other scientist when an alien spacecraft of sorts arrives in New York City. Aboard is a human-like alien and a giant robot of immense size and power. The alien identifies himself as Klaatu and says he has come to save the Earth. The US military and political authorities see him as a threat however and decide to use so-called intensive interrogation techniques on him but Dr. Benson decides to facilitate his escape. When she learns exactly what he means when he says he is there to save the Earth, she tries to convince him to change his intentions.

It's on straight after smallville on E4 to.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

The Day the Earth stood still on Ch4 @ 20.00 Very good.

It's on straight after smallville on E4 to.:)

watched that when it came out - wasnt a fan of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Any movies tonight? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Soapdish on TG4 at 21:30.
    Shooter on Film4 at 21:00 or +1 at 22:00
    Top Secret! on RTE TWO AT 1:35
    She's the Man at 2200 on C4

Not much tonight TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Coogans bluff is on itv4 at 9 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Two great ones tonight on Sky movies classic.
    9.00 Double Indemnity
    10.40 The lost Weekend.

Pedro Almodovar's Volver is on RTE 2 tonight 11.55pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Helter Skelter TG4

Around Midnight

• Advertisement

Helter Skelter TG4

Around Midnight

Watched it last night. So not to state the obvious but Mad Man. It was a bit horrific to see the murder scenes. Charlie Manson BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The Frighteners is starting on SyFy+1 at 11. Love that movie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Elmo wrote: »
    Watched it last night. So not to state the obvious but Mad Man. It was a bit horrific to see the murder scenes. Charlie Manson BTW.

I wanted to see it but I spent too long in the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

The Terminator BBC 1 11.30pm - although some parts are a little dated today it's still an amazing movie, James Cameron and Arnie in fine form.

The Godfather Part 2 More4 10.00pm - this needs no introduction, a sequel as good as the original, classic.

The Life of David Gale 11.45pm RTE 2 tonight

WASP0 wrote: »
    The Terminator BBC 1 11.30pm - although some parts are a little dated today it's still an amazing movie, James Cameron and Arnie in fine form.

I think it is better then the second, I know there are some kitschy kind of things in it but over all its a great movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not recommended (unless you really need an alternative to Formula One) but if you want to watch an all star cast struggle with an appalling script and even worse special effects then you can enjoy When Time Ran Out on BBC2 Sunday afternoon at 1.10 with your lunch. The only good news is they are showing the theatrical print and not the extended version that played on US tv.

Jokey trailer.

Cinderella man on RTE 2 tonight @ 21:00

Jaws on TV3 tonight @ 21:00

Terminator 2 on SKY1 tonight @ 21:00

Cinderella man on RTE 2 tonight @ 21:00

Jaws on TV3 tonight @ 21:00

Terminator 2 on SKY1 tonight @ 21:00

Hungover, pizza will be ordered now for Jaws had no idea it was on thank you! :D

• Advertisement

Wimbledon starting now on utv

good romantic comedy

Advertisement