Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Town Called Panic (2010) think a Belgian made French language version of Wallace and Gromit without the budget.

Film Four 00.45 am

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Tonight:
    Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium ico-13-mark.gif
    Sat 6 Aug, 18:30 - 20:05
    RTÉ One
    (Film)

Premiere. The 243-year-old owner of an enchanted toy shop realises he is soon to die, so decides to hand the business on to his assistant. She tries to persuade him to carry on living, while an accountant called in to work out how much the business is worth refuses to believe in the store's magical nature - even as it reacts badly to the thought of losing its owner. Fantasy comedy, with Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman

Jackie Chan's The Medallion ico-13-mark.gif
    Sat 6 Aug, 21:00 - 22:50
    TV3
    Comedy thriller, starring Jackie Chan

Police officers Eddie and Arthur think their number is up when they are seriously injured on assignment - but the strange power of an ancient medallion saves them, transforming them into turbo-charged warriors ready to take on their arch enemy Snakehead. Comedy thriller, starring Jackie Chan, Lee Evans, Julian Sands, Claire Forlani and John Rhys-Davies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UTV at the moment, only about 15 mins in

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i124Q wrote: »
    Tonight:
    Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium ico-13-mark.gif
    Sat 6 Aug, 18:30 - 20:05
    RTÉ One
    (Film)

Premiere. The 243-year-old owner of an enchanted toy shop realises he is soon to die, so decides to hand the business on to his assistant. She tries to persuade him to carry on living, while an accountant called in to work out how much the business is worth refuses to believe in the store's magical nature - even as it reacts badly to the thought of losing its owner. Fantasy comedy, with Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman

Jackie Chan's The Medallion ico-13-mark.gif
    Sat 6 Aug, 21:00 - 22:50
    TV3
    Comedy thriller, starring Jackie Chan

Police officers Eddie and Arthur think their number is up when they are seriously injured on assignment - but the strange power of an ancient medallion saves them, transforming them into turbo-charged warriors ready to take on their arch enemy Snakehead. Comedy thriller, starring Jackie Chan, Lee Evans, Julian Sands, Claire Forlani and John Rhys-Davies

Those are both pretty poor films. The Medallion is downright awful.

Coming to America is on film 4, starting again on +1 at 10. One of Eddie Murphy's funnier films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Some goodies on today.....didn't see them all though.

(1)
    Hidalgo on BBC2 @ 17.55, Viggo Mortenson. Don't let **** name put you off.

(2)
    Jurassic Park on TV3 @ 18.00

(3)
    Big Daddy on Gold @ 18.00

(4)
    Swordfish on CH5 @ 21.00

(5)
    Charlie Wilsons War on UTV @ 22.15

(6)
    The Wedding Date on RTE1 @ 22.35 (Probably **** but I like Amy Adams, she's the one getting married, probably one for the girls this one)

(7)
    Harsh Times on RTE2 @ 01.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

No Country for Old Men is on Channel 4 tonight at 10.30pm and The Lives of Others is on BBC2 at 11.30pm.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's the Lost World that's on TV3 at 18:00 not Jurassic Park :(

Spider-Man is on TV3 at 9:15 followed by The Shining at 11:40

you've got mail RTE1 at 9.35 Love this film.
    The brave one TG4 at 9.30
    Gladiator ITV2 at 10.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Been meaning to watch You've got mail, never seen it before, starting now!

Also, Empire Records is on at 00:20 on CH4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also, Empire Records is on at 00:20 on CH4

I always enjoyed this movie, when Zellweger didn't look so strange!

Excalibur was on RTÉ Two last night, anyone know why the dubbing sounded so strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A Cut Above also known as Gross Anatomy is on RTE 1 at 1.40am it stars
    Matthew Modine, Daphne Zuniga and Christine Lahti

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tonight, 11PM on E4: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A rather old-fashioned sepia-toned sci-fi tale of evil geniuses, flying robots, and plucky heroines, made by one man and his PC. Starring Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, and a virtual Laurence Olivier.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Dobermann (1997) is on one of the French Sky Movie channels tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A Cut Above also known as Gross Anatomy is on RTE 1 at 1.40am it stars
    Matthew Modine, Daphne Zuniga and Christine Lahti

not a bad film if a bit towards chick-flick territory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lean on Me starring Morgan Freeman started on TG4 about 20 mins ago.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is on BBC1 at 11:25PM. I have not seen this film yet, so this is a chance to fix that. I've heard the way folks talk about it e.g. Ebert, and it swept all the big Oscars in 1976.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

bnt wrote: »
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is on BBC1 at 11:25PM. I have not seen this film yet, so this is a chance to fix that. I've heard the way folks talk about it e.g. Ebert, and it swept all the big Oscars in 1976.
    The majority of films that win Oscars are pure ****e, Arty rubbish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That's a ridiculous statement.

That's a ridiculous statement.
    OK, arty is the wrong word but, two winners I can think of off the Top of my head are Slumdog Millionaire and The Kings Speech, I thought they were both rubbish.

A much smaller audience are going to watch these films, they win to keep the Academy's image up/respectable/nobby.

Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

totally agree with you:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

OK, arty is the wrong word but, two winners I can think of off the Top of my head are Slumdog Millionaire and The Kings Speech, I thought they were both rubbish.

A much smaller audience are going to watch these films, they win to keep the Academy's image up/respectable/nobby.

Or something.

The Departed, Return of the King, Gladiator etc

I think there's probably a mix of "arty" (or whatever term you want to use) and whatever the opposite of those films are.
    I was going to say mainstream but it felt wrong to say mainstream was the opposite of films that grossed hundreds of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RTE 2 tonight

9pm Capitalism: A Love Story

Film-maker Michael Moore explores the successes and failures of corporate America and the impact of the capitalist system on the lives of the nation's citizens

12.20am We Are Marshall

An American football coach strives to rebuild a college team after the death of most of the players in a plane crash. Fact-based drama, starring Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox

I wouldn't recommend the Michael Moore film for anyone wanting a detailed technical understanding of the financial crisis and the "shadow banking system". For example, I thought there was too much about the US car industry: a favourite hobby horse of Moore's for personal reasons, but more of a sideshow. It's grand for what it is, but Inside Job is more educational, I think. :cool:

One of my all-time favourite films is on TG4 at 12:05am: hana-bi. Written & directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano, whose own paintings also feature in the film. The title means "fireworks" in Japanese, and that's what you get, you could say. It's a moody but often funny Japanese film about a cop whose wife is terminally ill, and his guilt about a police job that went wrong because he went AWOL to visit her in hospital, leaving another cop in a wheelchair. He has to borrow money from the Yakuza for her treatment, and they come after him wanting it back ... and there are fireworks. There is almost no dialogue in the film at all: it doesn't need much to tell the story. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

practical magic on utv tonight, yipee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not so much recommending this as noting that its on, Channel 4 are screening the second of the Lars Von Trier "Dogma 95" films The Idiots Dunno if its edited or not but its going out at 2.25 am Sat/Sun night so maybe not. When first screened it was in full, people complained to OFCOM but C4 were found not to have breached the broadcasting code.

More Takeshi Kitano tonight: Zatoichi on Film4 at 1:30am. This is his slightly warped take on the traditional story of the blind Samurai. Kitano stars and the violence is ultra-stylish, but there's a modern feel to it. Even
    dance numbers
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Exit through the Gift Shop is on C4 tonight at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

A day late but only saw it for the first time last night - anyone who is a fan of Michael Moore's or documentaries in general should check out his film on capitalism. Very very interesting stuff

Tom Selleck is starring in Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise on RTE1 at 01.10.

He's made a few of these straight to TV Jesse movies based on some books, I think their good.

Thin Red Line on RTE2 at 12.20
    Castaway on TV3 at 21.30
    I Am Legend on UTV at 22.15
    Sleepless in Seattle on WATCH at 22.00

Anything with Tom Hanks is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Glory on TV3 at 23:40
    Barton Fink on TG4 at 00:45
    Fish Tank on BBC at 23:00
    Jarhead on UTV at 22:15

All good films, I'll probably go for Glory myself, an excellent film.

Advertisement