Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

Sweet Barton Fink,
    haven't seen that in years go on TG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dark Days is on Channel 4 tonight (or should i say this morning) at 12:40am. Documentary about people living in disused subway tunnels in New York, definitely worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Sweet Barton Fink,
    haven't seen that in years go on TG4

Barton Fink is a great film, wish it was on a bit earlier than 00:45. Why do they show good films so late on a Sunday night? Last Sunday night the Shining* was on and The Lives of Others but again, both started really late :o

*I did end up watching the Shining though; t'was a bit hard to sleep afterwards even though I've seen it at least 3 times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Watching 'Red Sonja' on channel 5 now:cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Let The Right One In is on Film Four tonight at 9pm followed by Near Dark at 11:25pm.

A good nights watching of vampire movies, it'll be like Twilight never happened :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sky do this reallly **** thing, for anyone that has freeview will be aware...

It lets you access the channel all the way up until 10 O'Clock and then cuts you off

This is infuriating for one of two reasons.

Number one, most of the crap or ancient films get shown in the afternoon/ evenining, with the better ones showing after 8.

Number two and this is even more frustrating, when a film like Let the right one in is available to freeview viewers, we get one hour of the film. It's half way through and then they cut you off!!!

They could at least have the decency to stop showing Film 4 at the end of a movie!! Reminds me of the way you'd be watching Nick and then, half way through the epiosoide, Paramout Comedy replaces it, which is also half-way through an episoide.

I have since come to the conclussion that Television executives and programme controllers are infintely evil and cruel individuals :mad:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sky do this reallly **** thing, for anyone that has freeview will be aware...

It lets you access the channel all the way up until 10 O'Clock and then cuts you off

This is infuriating for one of two reasons.

Number one, most of the crap or ancient films get shown in the afternoon/ evenining, with the better ones showing after 8.

Number two and this is even more frustrating, when a film like Let the right one in is available to freeview viewers, we get one hour of the film. It's half way through and then they cut you off!!!

They could at least have the decency to stop showing Film 4 at the end of a movie!! Reminds me of the way you'd be watching Nick and then, half way through the epiosoide, Paramout Comedy replaces it, which is also half-way through an episoide.

I have since come to the conclussion that Television executives and programme controllers are infintely evil and cruel individuals :mad:

Really? We turned off our sky a while ago, we took the viewing card out altogether and we have more channels now than we had with it in. Try taking the card out and see. What's freeview exactly? We're not subscribed to sky at all and we get film four no bother without the card in, give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

3 kings is on TG4 at half 9 tonight. I freaking love that film!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really? We turned off our sky a while ago, we took the viewing card out altogether and we have more channels now than we had with it in. Try taking the card out and see. What's freeview exactly? We're not subscribed to sky at all and we get film four no bother without the card in, give it a go.

Freeview is the Digital Terrestial Service in the UK. Agreed Film Four is available FTA so simply go to other channels to get the full schedule.
    Reminds me of the way you'd be watching Nick and then, half way through the epiosoide, Paramout Comedy replaces it, which is also half-way through an episoide.

Nick and Paramount were originally cable/sat channels sharing the same space. Nick would air during the day with Paramount taking over at night. In the early 2000s with more space on Digital Nick and Paramount split expand the schedules thus analogue cable (NTL in Ireland) still divide the channels hence why there was a strange split between Nick and Paramount, I am sure it still happens for people who have UPC analogue.

Nick and Comedy Central are part of the Viacom family of channels both co-owned by BSkyB. (MTV and Paramount being part of Viacom).

Jaws is on at 10:30 on UTV tonight. I know, everyone has seen it 20 times. But you can never watch Jaws enough.
    Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

• Advertisement

Had my beers ready for Jaws, tv guide still says Jaws, but it's actually showing Red Heat with arnie. Most disappointing moment of my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The Godfather
    21:00
    RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,273 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The first Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

The Bourne Identity is on ITV1 at 10.35pm.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The first Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

The Bourne Identity is on ITV1 at 10.35pm.

Don't watch Bourne, it gets interrupted by the news & weather. Honestly don't understand that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

THFC wrote: »
    Don't watch Bourne, it gets interrupted by the news & weather. Honestly don't understand that logic.

Its highly annoying when they do that. Totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Hi Kingp35,

This is such a brilliant idea, it just might take time to catch on and develop a fan base.

Regards
    BogManInc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

BogManInc wrote: »
    Hi Kingp35,

This is such a brilliant idea, it just might take time to catch on and develop a fan base.

Regards
    BogManInc.
    :confused:

The Green Mile is on tonight on RTÉ 1 at half 9. Another excellent choice from RTÉ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Snakes on a plane on CH4 at 22.00

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Duplicity RTE 1 tonight 9.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The Good, The Bad and The Weird is on Rte 2 at 12.25 tonight. It's a great western slash comedy, playing homage to The Spaghetti Westerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was going to mention that one: I hear it's been called a Kimchi Western too. It's just plain bonkers. :p

Also: Thursday night, TV3, 9PM: Cop Land. Sylvester Stallone's finest hour as an actor. He plays the under-achieving chief of police in a small New Jersey town just across the Hudson from New York, where a lot of New York cops live (hence the title) ... and some of the cops bring big city corruption home with them at night. The case includes Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, and Ray Liotta, but Stallone is the star.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Good, the Bad, the Weird is excellent. As the title suggests, it's mostly a tribute to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It's a great swashbuckling adventure film. I'd thoroughly recommend the director's other films as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been meaning to watch TGTBATW again actually. Dare I suggest it's been an awful long time since I had so much fun watching a film. The chase scene in the desert is beyond epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Been meaning to watch TGTBATW again actually. Dare I suggest it's been an awful long time since I had so much fun watching a film. The chase scene in the desert is beyond epic.
    Yeah, incredible sequence. So funny and violent and outrageous. I remember getting giddy with excitement seeing it for the first time. I'm sure there was probably a fair bit of CGI in there, but if so I didn't notice it. It all seemed real.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

came on here to post about this as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

not long on good movie, havent seen br2 people said it wasnt the best

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Million Dollar baby is on RTÉ 1 at 21:35. RTÉ have been showing some very good films recently.

The Bourne Supremacy is on UTV at 22:15 but, like The Bourne Identity last week, it gets interrupted halfway through for the news and weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Bit late I know, but just finished watching 'The Victors' on BBC2, and what an excellent movie; if you ever get a chance to watch it you will not be disappointed.

George Peppard and George Hamilton were excellent and the scene where they execute an American Deserter to the background music of Frank Sinatra was very powerfull and reminded me of Stanley Kubricks Paths of Glory, not just in the subject matter but it's anti war sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Texas rangers on BBC1 now.

Might be good.

Advertisement