Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kung Fu Hustle - tonight, C4, 12.10: mental martial arts film which makes little to no sense, but is one of the most brilliantly excessive films in many years. Stupidly fun

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974). Channel 6, 10:30pm.

One I've never seen, but I should. It's considered to be one of Sam Peckinpah's last and finest films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I'd known it was on a bit sooner I'd have given a heads up to Outlaw Josey Wales! :o

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bad Lieutenant is on tonight on Film Four at 10:55.

Excellent film by Abel Ferrara and staring Harvey Keitel. I think they are planning on doing a remake of this but make sure you catch the original tonight!

Was that banned here?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Heard something along those lines myself actually.

mike65 wrote: »
    Was that banned here?
    It has a scene featuring Harvey Keitel, naked, on drugs, in a church. I can see how the Magisterium would have a problem with that. :cool:

Early Saturday Morning (TV3 0:25 - 2:25): The Frighteners. It's what we got when Peter Jackson went to Hollywood before the LotR trilogy: Michael J Fox as a con man who works in cahoots with some real ghosts to scam people out of money. Excellent special effects, some wicked black humour... and a Hollywood ending. :pac:

Channel 6 - Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. at 9.35

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Saving Private Ryan

Tuesday 15 - Sky One 23:00
    Wednesday 16 - Sky One 21:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Singin' In The Rain is on TCM2 right now! :D

**dances around the kitchen**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

House Of Fools is on Network 2 tonight at quarter past midnight. Chechen and Russian soldiers battle around a mental hospital, and the inmates have to run it themselves when the doctors and staff escape.

It features one of the oddest movie cameos ever, in the shape of Bryan Adams, as himself, driving an illuminated train and singing "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?"

I promise I didn't make that up.

Rumble In The Bronx is on BBC1 at 23:20: this was Jackie Chan's international breakthrough film, a Hong Kong production set in New York. Not quote as loony as Kung Fu Hustle, but I still remember it had some excellent fights, including one that brings a whole building down for some reason... :pac:

One for the insomniac - Quatermass and the Pit (1967) is on UTV at 02.25 am

Mike.

Best In Show is on TV3 tonight, starting 20:30. This is one of Christopher Guest's "mockumentaries", revolving around a bunch of dogs, their bizarre owners, and a major dog show. One co-presenter of the show (Buck, played by Fred Willard) doesn't have a totally firm grasp on what's happening...
    I went to one of those obedience places once... it was all going well until they spilled hot candle wax on my private parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

GREAT show. Not as good as Waiting for Guffman but it's up there. Eugene Levy makes the film again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ingmar Bergmans Seventh seal is on film 4 tonight. The one with death playing chess (parodied by bill and ted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Get Over It is on Channel 4/E4 or Film 4.

Its one of the better teen movies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Boy A on more 4 in half an hour

Primal Fear on RTE1 tonight at 22.40pm

Edward Norton debut role and he is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

FILM: Around the Bend
    On: TG4 (Ch.104)
    Date: Tuesday 12th August 2008
    Time: 22:00 to 23:35 (1 hour and 35 minutes long)
    Director: Jordan Roberts
    Starring: Michael Caine, Christopher Walken, Jonah Bobo, Josh Lucas, Glenne Headly, David Eigenberg

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=58187
    Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

FILM: Shooter
    CHANNEL: Sky Premiere
    STARRING: Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover, Kate Mara
    DIRECTOR: Antoine Fuqua (Training Day)

This film is by no means up there with Wahlberg's finer performances in The Departed and We Own the Night. The best thing I can advise is to just turn your brain off, ignore the plot holes, and just enjoy this very decent action/ thriller. I don't recommend that you go out of your way to catch it, but if struggling to find something good, it is certainly worth a watch.

01:40ITV Ulster 28/08/08

This Is Spinal Tap
    Satirical rockumentary following the ageing British heavy metal band Spinal Tap on the comeback trail, promoting their album Smell the Glove

JP Liz wrote: »
    01:40ITV Ulster 28/08/08

This Is Spinal Tap
    Satirical rockumentary following the ageing British heavy metal band Spinal Tap on the comeback trail, promoting their album Smell the Glove

+1 class

Pity it's on so late. Work tomorrow :(

Half Nelson: 10.50pm BBC 1 - Sunday 31 August

Ryan Gosling picked up an Oscar nomination for starring in this independent gem, about an idealistic and brilliant teacher, who also happens to be a crack addict. It's both subversive and engaging, and you will find it difficult to take your eyes of its star for the majority of the running time. Heartbreaking in parts, it's ultimately rooted firmly in reality and directed with a loose, but grittily realised style by first time director Ryan Fleck. There's also a stunning debut for inexperienced, but naturally gifted youngster Shareeka Epps. Well worth staying up for.

Midweek Movie: S.W.A.T.
    RTÉ ONE 21:35 wed 10th Sept

Action thriller. An elite police squad is assigned to guard a narcotics kingpin on his way to jail, but he offers a huge reward to anyone who can free him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Lord of the rings,the fellowship of the ring is about to start at 7:30 on Channel4.
    If its your kinda film.

~edit~

The lord of the rings. The two towers is on Channel 4 next Saturday the 20th at 7:30 and I presume the third one is on the following Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Movie called Ponette on tg4 now

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117359/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponette

sounds like it might be alright, i just hope I don't come out of it hating this chick as much as I hate amelie

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

101 Dalmatians on RTE 1 @ 6:35 today must see for all kids it's worth watching. :)

• Advertisement

Walk The Line

Joaquin Phoenix plays Johnny Cash in James Mangold's acclaimed biopic of country music's legendary 'Man In Black'.

Wed 24 Sept at 9pm Film 4

Advertisement