Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Film4, 9PM Thursday & next Wednesday: Monsters (2010). We discussed it here last year: a low budget post-apocalyptic monster film that focuses on people rather than monsters. I said at the time that the social commentary was a little too obvious, but it was ... different.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Also on Film4 soon: My Darling Clementine (1946) (4:50PM Tuesday). I'd heard a lot about this John Ford Western before, but never saw it till today. It fully lives up to its reputation, in my opinion. This is one of those films that was influential on other directors too, such as Kurosawa, and you can see it in the superb cinematography.

It's a fictionalised account of the legendary "Gunfight at the OK Corral", which comes at the end, but the events leading up to it are even more interesting. After his brother is murdered, Wyatt Earp becomes Marshal of Tombstone almost by accident, and runs in to the infamous Doc Holliday.

Some critics called it a bit slow, because it included a good bit of atmospheric detail, but the film doesn't drag. It's an "end of an era" Western, about the arrival of civilisation and what that means. For another review with spoilers, see here. How many Westerns have characters quoting Shakespeare?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Butterfly Effect is on CH4, from 11:20 PM- 1:30 A.M

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The really rather brilliant Hellboy II just started on RTE Two

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Station Agent is on BBC2 in a few minutes at 00:05. A truely wonderful film!

Funnily enough its on directly after a documentary about dwarfs! Surely deliberate by the BBC. I can't take Warwick Davis serious now after watching Life's Too Short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The really rather brilliant Hellboy II just started on RTE Two
    Jasus that was awful...A-W-F-U-L, the Social looks good compared to it.

I'm gonna check to see if I have bleach to wash my eyes out after watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Home alone is on E4 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

The Incredibles is on BBC3 at 7 :)

Decent animated flic from Pixar

There will be blood on tonight at 9 o clock RTE2 , some people don't like it but I love it! Daniel Day Lewis is at his very best!

Cocktail CH4 at 23.10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Identity (2003) Ch Five 23:00 Tonight

also Gremlins (1984) on ITV 1 22:35pm Tue 22 Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

The Omen - Film 4 9pm, Goldfinger ITV4 9pm, The Incredibles BBC3 9.45pm, I, Robot, E4 10.55pm, The Omen II Film4 11.10pm

The Omen - Film 4 9pm, Goldfinger ITV4 9pm, The Incredibles BBC3 9.45pm, I, Robot, E4 10.55pm, The Omen II Film4 11.10pm

The original the Omen is still the creepiest movie I've ever seen!

The original the Omen is still the creepiest movie I've ever seen!

also showing The Final Conflict (1981) which is Omen 3 After those two!

THE SHINING 23:35 TCM
    also on THE ENTITY on SKY MODERN 2:00 AM

Ridng Giants just started on BBC4. Documentary on big wave surfing, well worth a watch even if you're not into surfing.

The Fighter on at 10 on Sky Premier. Unreal performance from Christian Bale in it

1am, RTE2, possibly the only good film Adam Sandler has been in so far: Punch-Drunk Love, with Emily Watson, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil is on at 9 on Filmfour.

Waltz With Bashir is on Channel 4 at 00:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Waltz With Bashir is a masterpiece. One of the best films of the last decade.

Taken is on at 21.00 on CH4, Brilliant Action Movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Taken is on at 21.00 on CH4, Brilliant Action Movie.

that film is so tight , i just love how neeson tortures the scum in this movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Santa Claus: The Movie

It's on tv3 right now. Fuck yeah!!

The Lake House is on BBC1 in 5 mins.....love that film.:D:D:o:D:D

The Lake House is on BBC1 in 5 mins.....love that film.:D:D:o:D:D
    It's a weird one ... a film that pushes all the wrong buttons but remains likeable, thanks to its stars, I think. Yes, even the famously stiff Keanu. I recently watched the Matrix Revisited documentary, and he was definitely having fun during the making of The Matrix. There's a reason why he's stiff on camera in that film: he was having major problems with his neck, including vertebral fusion surgery that didn't work.

Anyway - tonight @ 9PM, Channel 4 is showing Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona, with Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, and an Oscar-winning Penelope Cruz. It's hard to classify Allen's films neatly, and this one is particularly infuriating - bits of comedy, romance, drama, and awkward Americans in Catalunya.

White Noise 2 Film 4 23:20
    This came on TV few years and I had a lower expectation of this movie

From first scene from the movie I don't think i turn my head once away from TV, i don't remember the last time i did

I did not read plot before I saw this movie, I was thinking could be man just seating down hearing voice in the TV, BOY was I wrong

There was scene scare the hell out ME, I had no idea there were going be do that in this movie, ( I was thinking there going face in TV that it ) I did not see that coming at all, The Atmosphere in that scene made even better.)

The acting was outstanding from Nathan Fillion I was shocked to See Craig Fairbrass (I can't believe he was in this movie, not that long ago about 13 years ago he was in ( UK soap,)

I didn't think the movie would be any good at all, it turned out to great

8/10

Shooter is on RTE2 at 21.30 and again on E4 at 00.10

Heist is on TV3 at 23.25

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is on CH5 at 23.50 (Never seen this)

If you fancy overdosing on 80s chic, try Quicksilver (RTE1, 01:20). Kevin Bacon plays a stock trader, who loses a fortune and starts work as a bike messenger in New York. Also features Jami Gertz and Laurence Fishburne. Soundtrack by Tony Banks of Genesis. :cool:

• Advertisement

Heist isin't on!!!!!!!!! AAAAAArgh!

Xmas number 1 bull****! :(

Advertisement