Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

TV3 tonight at 9: Stranger Than Fiction. Will Ferrell plays the "normal" guy for once - an IRS auditor, a job where everyone hates him, such as a baker whose books he has to check (Maggie Gyllenhall). Well, normal apart from the voice in his head, narrating his life in real time. It's as if someone's writing his life as he lives it.I saw this on a plane a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. It's weird seeing Will Ferrell just acting, not shouting, but he's actually pretty good at it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bnt wrote: »
    TV3 tonight at 9: Stranger Than Fiction. Will Ferrell plays the "normal" guy for once - an IRS auditor, a job where everyone hates him, such as a baker whose books he has to check (Maggie Gyllenhall). Well, normal apart from the voice in his head, narrating his life in real time. It's as if someone's writing his life as he lives it.I saw this on a plane a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. It's weird seeing Will Ferrell just acting, not shouting, but he's actually pretty good at it.

I'll be watching this tonight. Feck all else on Sky. Cheers for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Day of the Jackal ITV 4 10.20 pm/11.20pm (+1)

Classic slick procedural/thriller where we already know the ending but it doesn't matter! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Nashville, RTE1, 02:10 - 04:45, May 30/31 (tonight/tomorrow, depending on how you spend your weekend :D).

A film you'll either love or hate, but a classic nonetheless.

Knowing RTE at this hour, allow about 10 mins either end if recording.
    Allow even more if they showed any kind of live sport earlier. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Following on from the childhood movies thread, if anyone has TCM2 The Dark Crystal is starting at 9pm

• Advertisement

BBC1 monday midnight

The Anderson Tapes 1971 caper thriller as Sean Connery plans to clean out a New York apartment block of its riches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/

Anyone ever heard of a film called "Grave of the Fireflies"? Its on Film Four tonight, is it worth staying up for? Bear in mind that I cant stand anime normally, if its got any kind of monster in it or they have stupidly high pitched annoying voices I probably wont like it :p. IMDB says its brilliant though, dont want to look to deep into any of the threads in case it ruins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Joycey wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/

Anyone ever heard of a film called "Grave of the Fireflies"? Its on Film Four tonight, is it worth staying up for? Bear in mind that I cant stand anime normally, if its got any kind of monster in it or they have stupidly high pitched annoying voices I probably wont like it :p. IMDB says its brilliant though, dont want to look to deep into any of the threads in case it ruins it.

Well worth watching tbh. In my humble opinion, it's one of the best war films ever made, brutally honest and innocent look at the ravages of war.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ghostbusters on E4 now or E4+1 in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Ghostbusters on E4 now or E4+1 in an hour.

yep... haven't seen it in years... classic

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's widescreen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Scien wrote: »
    Curiosity got the better of me after that statement.
    Just finished watching it there and I have to admit for a guy thats never once sat through an entire anime production, i thought it was excellent.
    A very poignant yet heartwarming look at one boys war.
    Highly recommended.

Glad you enjoyed it. There's very few films like it, and really goes to show that Anime can be so much more than giant robots and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Dangerous Minds Channel 4 tonight at 11:35

Like a good robbery/mobster drama? If you have Zone Thriller on FTA check out Great Bookie Robbery mini series on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 10 pm till midnight. The true story of Australias biggest robbery and the fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is on RTE1 tonight at 12.10 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheWealth

Fraid I have no idea of a good movie on tonight, but great idea for a thread...I think though that Shannon Doherty should be in a quality movie tonight on SCI - Fi if anyone has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Zoolander

now- 9pm Film 4

Quality!

ITV 4 7.30/8.30

2004679165082941768_rs.jpg

On TG4 tomorrow at 9.05pm - its a great film from John Sayles

• Advertisement

John Woos uber Hong Kong cop thriller Hard Boiled, Zone Thriller (ch 148) 9 pm.

Batman Begins (which was on TG4 very recently) is on TV3 this weekend

Is it Safe? ;)

John Schlesinger's pulp fiction thriller Marathon Man on Film Four 11.15 tonight.

I don't generally like Rom-Coms, but one of the few I like is on RTE1 on Friday evening, 9:30: One Fine Day. It's a pretty old-fashioned story about two working single parents who have to help each other look after their kids, annoy the heck out of each other, and ... guess what happens next? Michelle Pfeiffer is the epitome of a Yummy Mummy, and while George Clooney may sneer at such fluff now, he's got a Cary Grant thing going, and female viewers will be swooning. It also features a couple of kids who manage not to be annoying, a decent soundtrack, and a satisfying conclusion to the day in question. One for a cheap date night. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

The Marine is on RTE 2 sat night

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Commando is on TV3 tomorrow night, YAY! :D

Mr & Mrs Smith RTE 1 tonight

The movie that started Brangelina :rolleyes:

and Hot Fuzz is on TV3, 9PM. I never saw it when it came out, and I've read good things about it ...

Tricky one tonight if you are a fan of 70s action heroes, you have either
    Clint in The Gauntlet on ITV1 at 10.45 or Steve McQueen on BBC 1 in The Getaway at 11.40.

I'd go for Gauntlet as its not shown as often, the Getaway is the better film but both are entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Enter the Dragon - TG4 12.10

Advertisement