Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limit for heavy(-ish) vehicles

Options
  • 18-04-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so the speed limit for HGV's is 80 km/h ...or is it?
    What weight does a "HGV" start at?

What about my motorhome with 3.5 tonnes? Can I drive at 100 km/h?

Could anyone please point me towards somewhere where I can read up on this ...thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It's possibly changed but iirc 3.5 tonnes was always the limit. If you look at your driving licence you will see that your car test covers you up to 3.5 tonnes. Anything above that would be considered a different class of vehicle.

Obviously that's a pretty sweeping generalisation but I think it covers what you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Limit is 80 km/h if >3500 kg d.g.v.w. However AFAIK you only need a speed limiter fitted if your d.g.v.w is >7500 kg. I think this is the point where the term "HGV" starts to be used

Is your motorhome actually >3500 kg or is it right on 3500 kg. Do you need a C1 licence to drive it etc. Even a large Ford Transit van is not heavy enough to require a C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The motorhome has a gross vehicle weight (max.) of 3.5 tons ...fully laden it should still be just under.

Personally I've got a european HGV licence (A,B,C,E) anyway, so I'm not worried about that ...I was just curious as to what I'm allowed to do in the motorhome.

The points on the so called "National Roads" (the non main artery ones) where you can actually risk bolting along at 100 km/h are few and far between anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In that case, the same speed limits apply to it as to a car :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Your safe as long as it is 3,500kg or under
    Ordinary speed limits
    Certain vehicles in Ireland (specifically vehicles that are intended or adapted for the carriage of people, vehicles greater than a certain weight and vehicles that are drawing trailers) are subject to different speed limits than those outlined above.

Double Deck Vehicles - 65 km/h
    Buses and Coaches (with accommodation for more than 8 passengers 80 km/h
    Towing Vehicles - 80 km/h
    Trucks (with a design gross weight of more than 3,500kg) - 80 km/h

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement