Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wanted

• 18-04-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Bit of advise wanted on what type of dog to get as a family pet. dont like very small dogs, dont have the garden or house size for a very large dog, kids are now at the right age to assist with looking after etc. always had dogs as pets myself growing up as a kid so well use to looking after dogs. but that was a good while ago. should i go to IKC or the likes of DSPCA or PAWS etc etc. any advise or thoughts on the matter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

My whippet is a great medium-sized dog who can live with less exercise than most working breeds. He is relaxed and gentle in the house, although a bit of a thief.
    Theres lots of nice dogs in the rescues, just go along and have a look, and listen to their advice. They'll know which dogs are suitable for your situation, be honest with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

would go for a rescue dog everytime - check out the link above to the irish animals website! You haven't said whether it is an adult or a puppy that you are thinking of, but you will find plenty of both in a rescue. I got my 2 girls from different rescues, and love them to bits. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KieranStu

I have a 3 year old male elkhound who needs rehoming immediately. He would be perfect for a grown family as he has a dislike for young children, hence the need to rehome him.

He is a very loving dog with bundles of energy. I would be very grateful to anybody who would be interested in taking him as he will most likely be taken to the pound shortly if no home can be found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

KieranStu wrote:
    I have a 3 year old male elkhound who needs rehoming immediately. He would be perfect for a grown family as he has a dislike for young children, hence the need to rehome him.

He is a very loving dog with bundles of energy. I would be very grateful to anybody who would be interested in taking him as he will most likely be taken to the pound shortly if no home can be found

If you have to go down the route of giving your lovely dog away whatever you do not put him in the pound as more than likely he will end up put asleep after five days if its not a Friday. Send your dog to a shelter instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Hi

Please be advised that if you hand your own dog into a pound it is considered a " surrender " - therefore the 5 day rule that applies to stray dogs having to be kept for 5 days to find their owners does not apply.

In all likelyhood your dog will be put to sleep immediatley as the pound are under no obligation to keep it by law.

At the moment the pounds are heaving with strays so sadly dogs handed in by their owners are being destroyed straight away.

Some pounds like Ashton make a huge effort to try to avoid having to destroy the dog straight away with so many strays the surrenders are the
    1 st to go.

Advertisement