Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel threading

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I spoke to the the detective last week and asked him for my licence back he said he wasn't giving it back and that he was referring the whole thing to my district super that its up to him as to whether i get it back.And no i didnt get a receipt on either ocasion
    I didnt have an authorisation for the silencer i only had it a couple of days and it was my first time using it ( only have the gun a few weeks too)
    So back to the O.P. carefull how you go about getting your silencer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sounds like you really need to start talking to a solicitor, for one thing you could be facing criminal charges..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Indeed. Not having a licence for a silencer is a criminal offence :( I think I'd be calling a soliciter today if I were in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

de_shadow wrote:
    O.K. lads heres the full story:
    i had been out hunting on the sunday morning i had a few rabbits and was on my way home, i spotted a few more in a field and parked the car i was just getting ready to get out when i saw the garda SB car turning down the lane in my direction so i sat tight the car passed me the gards had a good look and when they passed i decided enough was enough so i headed for home ,they follwed me for about 100 yards the flashed the blue lights and pulled me over .

Ok,as of yet no crime or offence being comitted.
    they asked what i was up to i told them i'd been out hunting they told me to get out of the car i did the cops saw the gun placed it against the side of the car asked me for my licence which i handed over and then proceeded to tell me how illegal it was to have a threaded barrel

BEEEEP for the Gaurds on firearms saftey and nonsense about threaded barrel.

i told him the gun came like that then asked me where was the silencer so itold him 'cos while this was happening 2nd garda searched the car saw the rabbits i had ,took my magazines and ammo and found my silencer in the center consol at which stage he said he was confiscating the gun ,ammo mags and silencer and holding on to my licence to check it out.
    BEEEP again on the Gardai,taking the cert,and not issueing a recipt for any of the confiscated items.Also questionable about the car search,they will have now to justify the reasonable grounds for stop ,search and seizure
    He told me to go home and he would contact me during the week and that i he wanted to see a letter from my gunsmith to say that the gun was purchased threaded.
    Wonder what you would do if the gun was an old model that had been threaded years ago by a defunct gunsmith??

To answer your other points;if you have applied for the silencer[should also have said to them it is a sound modifer] and it is in the files should be no problem.As there is no requirement ASFIK to show a liscense or whatever to buy a silencer over the counter,it can be put down as paperwork delay.
    If ,however the station has an ambigious policy on silencers,some say the liscense is enough,others want the authorisation etc.You can say that the local FAO said the liscense was enough. But all in all the SOB SB is now just being a thick you now what.I would advise a good solicitor as well.Again this is where we need a name of a very pro and firearms law aufe solicitor that all shooters could call on for this type of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

de_shadow wrote:
    l on for this type of nonsense.

Agree a 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Well that clarifies the actual event.
    Stop, search etc. no problem there.. easily justified.
    Receipts not issued on the ground ...call to the station... although I wouldn't be making any demands at the moment.

Your in an awkward situation there all right, best defence would be ignorance on the need for licence ...I'm assuming you got it from a dealer..who didn't ask for one?? therefore you didn't think you needed one.

I'd try to have an off the record chat with the Garda.. avoid change of shifts and their break time.... ask their advice.

Advertisement