Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensible Soccer 2006

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wonder how it plays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

According to the Guardian Games Blog, not too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can't see it being anything other than a minor distraction. Games have moved on since the mid-90s and while Sensible Soccer ruled the roost then, it's just an exercise in nostalgia now. They're even taken out the brilliant managerial aspect that was introduced in Sensible World of Soccer.

Unless it's released at a budget price, I can see it being a big flop, people just don't care about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It is being released on a budget price.

Frankly I have no interest in Fifa or Pro Evolution Soccer, but I'll probably buy this. The graphics look alot less charming than the original game but the pinball style football seems to be intact. I love the control you had over the ball in the old games. Could make all kinds of elaborate set pieces and feel like you'd earned them rather than hitting some sort of stupid trick button like in Fifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll definitely have a game of it just for old time sake. Does it have an official licence? I remember Shearer and Wright were deadly in the original up front, there was no way of stopping them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to be unstoppable when I played with Wales. Infact I was banned from using them whenever we had a large tournement in the house.

Sensi is the only soccer game I've ever had time for... I'll definitely be getting this.

Haha.. Great to hear that song back again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

It is being released on a budget price.

Frankly I have no interest in Fifa or Pro Evolution Soccer, but I'll probably buy this. The graphics look alot less charming than the original game but the pinball style football seems to be intact. I love the control you had over the ball in the old games. Could make all kinds of elaborate set pieces and feel like you'd earned them rather than hitting some sort of stupid trick button like in Fifa.

That is word for word what I was about to say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

If the gameplay is as good as the sensi of old. Think its looks great. Just hoipeing that its not a disappointment, shuddering remembering the shambolic attempt at a game that the PS1 release was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Who need s nice visuals if it playes like old Sensi,fingers srossed it will play the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I loved it on the Megadrive, wasn't to keen on it with the PC release just wasn't the same :(

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only football game I ever liked, for a budget price its a pity they couldn't throw in Cannon Fodder as well.
    I am lucky enough to have an xbox of ill repute and can play an emulated version of the game, its still got it man.
    I picked up the polygonised playstation version a year back and boy does it suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

no online play, which is a major balls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Looks like the Dead Rockstars will play again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Looks good, as long as you can really affect how the ball moves (ie not all automatic passing and shooting) then it will be great. I hate games that restrict you by only having a button for pass, shoot, and when ye press them it automatically decides how far or to what player the ball is gonna go.

For me the most exciting thing about a football game is playing an inch perfect long ball over a defence and having the striker run on to it and score.

Well that's the problem with alot of soccer games. With the TV style camera angles you can see the player your using but not a whole lot else. What you really want to see is where all the other players are and where there's space to pass into.

I think this is why Fifa soccer series always promoted stupid length of the pitch runs over a passing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

I loved the original on the Atari ST, It seems to me that it would be very hard to play without a joystick though, or do modern console controllers work as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I loved this game with a passion. I played the original 1.0 on my mates Atari 520stfm (super machine) and we fell in love with it from then on. I got sensible world of soccer for the pc years later and altough easier was every bit as enjoyable only i found it easier to use the control pad than the joy stick! maybe just me.

Can't wait to get my hands on this and my only hope is that they have kept the original game play in tact.

From what I've heard they've sort of modeled the control on the Mega Drive version. Always preferred the joystick control myself but what can you do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i broke my old gamepad playing this (old one) on a snes emulator
    i was pulling back too hard when i was hitting a long ball, the d-pad came right off :D

Yeah I went through two joy sticks tying every time to score that screamer from just inside the half way line. Pull back and to the side to loop it in off the far post. Class. Still no where near a joystick wrecker as the good aul athletics games. I remember playing Daily Thompson Decathlon on the C64 and went through 3 of them doing the 100mt sprint...

• Advertisement

Scoreing from the tip off was my most memorable moment. I scored it against my Bro in law who was never able to pull it off . Only ever did it the once though. CAnt wait to get this . Although i did like the managing aspect from SWOS .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

i used to be absolutely addicted to this game, but for me half the enjoyment was in the management side of the game and i don't think it will be the same without it, does anyone know will they be keeping the career mode?

How i loved taking a team like carlisle from the 3rd division to european champions in 5 years!

and i reckon we went through about 20 joypads/joysticks breaking each of them purely with sensi!

Scoreing from the tip off was my most memorable moment.

True that was legend, but it became very easy to do and only worked against crap teams. the one that gives you true legend status was the lobbed curler from just inside the half right over at the sideline in off the far post. Could get it once ever 4 or 5 times maybe!

I got a Demo of this game and anybody who was a fan of the old amiga game or sega will be inpressed. It plays great. Some extrabits added in but it really reminds me of the old game

I got a Demo of this game

Post some new screen shots.

To be honest Screens dont do much for the game. Its the game play that is really great. I dont know what the longevity for this game will be like though as i found it a little easy to score. The goal keepers are good but 1 on 1's seem a little easy. I have also sen some howlers from the keeper. What is good about it is the unpredictability of the ball , like in PES. There is really good physic's in the way it moves. Little tweaks to the players also such as vollys , heading tackeling and so on .You can get this Demo on the latest Xox magazine.
    What i am really hoping is a manager moad like in SWOS but i dont think its in this year. But maybe the next addition. I dont mind as long as they get the gameplay sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The players look weird. To be honest, I'd have preferred little 3d tubby stumpy blokes with moustaches and no faces, like in the original. But there you are.

To be honest Screens dont do much for the game. Its the game play that is really great. I dont know what the longevity for this game will be like though as i found it a little easy to score. The goal keepers are good but 1 on 1's seem a little easy. I have also sen some howlers from the keeper. What is good about it is the unpredictability of the ball , like in PES. There is really good physic's in the way it moves. Little tweaks to the players also such as vollys , heading tackeling and so on .You can get this Demo on the latest Xox magazine.
    What i am really hoping is a manager moad like in SWOS but i dont think its in this year. But maybe the next addition. I dont mind as long as they get the gameplay sorted.

:)

Do you think its worth buying the full game when its released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I got a Demo of this game

is there a download of this demo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Demo's out?! have to get that asap.

btw a question about the old sensible soccer games. The only one i have is Championship Soccer 94. How different is this to the Sensible Soccer games? CS 94 is brilliant except for one thing, you can get the ball off some1 from behind too easily, u just run up to them and the ball gets sucked towards u.

Is there some sort of trick to stop people being able to just take the ball from behind you? Other than that its class.

Advertisement