Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed should I be getting from BT 2mb???

• 18-04-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I recently downgraded from BT 3mb to BT 2mb.

Ever since my downgrade my speeds have been sh1t !!!

My typical download speed over the last few days has been about 300k. Is this normal for a 2mb connection??? Seems very very slow to me...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Results from broadband speed test recorded on Tuesday, 18 April 2006, 22:17.

Got this from

www.adslguide.org.uk, I'm on BTBB 2mbs

Hope this helps.

Benny

Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1427 Kbps (178.4 KB/sec) 1541 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 211 Kbps (26.4 KB/sec) 227 Kbps (inc. overheads)

'Actual Speed' is the amount of useful data that your connection can transmit/receive per second. The 'True Speed' figure includes an approximation of data overheads (non-useful data) and is estimated to be around 8%. 'True Speed' is for informational purposes only and is not used in any ISP rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

All DSL sold by eircom and its resellers (BT, UTV etc) is RADSL and the only speed you are guaranteed is 256k.

Seeing as you had a 3mb line working fine before then 2mb should also work at expected speeds.

I presume you mean the 300k you are getting when downloading is your throughput speed and not the actual "download speed" as verified by an online checker?

Viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I recently downgraded from BT 3mb to BT 2mb.

Ever since my downgrade my speeds have been sh1t !!!

My typical download speed over the last few days has been about 300k. Is this normal for a 2mb connection??? Seems very very slow to me...

Is the 300K the speed you are getting off the 2mb line? if so then thats all you should be getting.

Advertisement